Sunroof 2019 7.5 R

Moby

2svB3Tg.jpg

Just wondering if anybody had come across the following problem.

I have a 2019 Golf R 7.5. This summer I noticed a crack on the plastic trim surrounding the sunroof on the passenger side. I informed my local VW dealer (Breeze, Poole) who subsequently took the car and replaced the trim under warranty. 

Less than six months later the crack has reappereard. I have spoken to VW again and have it booked in to be fixed in January under warranty. However, they have informed me that if this were to happen again outside of the warranty I would be liable to pay for the repair myself. Any work carried out under warranty is only guaranteed until the end of the warranty. I would say that this issue is probably a design fault and am a bit perturbed that this will happen again and I will be left with a big bill. Am now thinking of selling the car once it is fixed which I really don't want to do as I love the car.

Any comments/advice would be greatly appreciated.

VR6 South

Thanks for your response.

All I can say really is that I use the sunroof sporadically during the summer months. As you say, it shouldn't really make any difference how much I use it.

Done a little more research and turns out this isn't an uncommon occurrence across a number of cars in the VAG range, although Golf's seem particularly affected by it.

As you have found out, this fault is way too common.

As far as the warranty goes, IIRC unless you pay something towards the repair then I think the original warranty period is not changed.  However, I had an idea that if you do contribute to at least part of the repair cost then the standard warranty on new parts would apply (i think it varies depending on what parts were supplied).

Based on my experience VW warranty quite often leaves the owner dissatisfied.

39 minutes ago, gregozedobe said:

As you have found out, this fault is way too common.

As far as the warranty goes, IIRC unless you pay something towards the repair then I think the original warranty period is not changed.  However, I had an idea that if you do contribute to at least part of the repair cost then the standard warranty on new parts would apply (i think it varies depending on what parts were supplied).

Based on my experience VW warranty quite often leaves the owner dissatisfied.

Thanks for that. I will look into this suggestion a little deeper.

I suppose my only other options are to take out an extended warranty which I believe is in the region of £300pa or sell the car once fixed. 

This is appalling service from such a big brand like VW. 

You’re sure to have some recourse by way of Consumer Law in UK.

THE sunroof is not Fit for purpose (leaks).  Not of adequate quality. (Faulty part, poorly made component) 

Neither of these things are your fault, but rather the fault of VW and suppliers.

Just because the component supplier gives VW duff parts doesnt absolve them from responsibility or enable them tho pass the buck to you. (F*** that!)

Id fight this mate. Get some consumer law advice.  Maybe Online Consumer stuff, or maybe Legal advice from AA OR RAC similar.  Solicitor if needed, a s last resort.

Keep recorders of all contact with VW/Dealership re this matter. 

Longer term. An extended warranty might not be a bad idea!
But Maybe you are not in a good frame of mind re “All In” from VW which gives, warranty, servicing and MOT at discounted prices. 

5 hours ago, Moby said:

Thanks for that. I will look into this suggestion a little deeper.

I suppose my only other options are to take out an extended warranty which I believe is in the region of £300pa or sell the car once fixed. 

Before you buy an extended warranty product, check that it would cover replacement of the sunroof surround if it happens to crack again in future. Pretty much all extended warranty products that can be bought to follow on from VW’s three year new car factory warranty will be more restrictive than the factory warranty - they will be insurance based products and most will only cover sudden and unexpected electrical and mechanical failure of specific components / parts covered under the warranty. I doubt any will include a sunroof surround within the definition an electrical or mechanical component or part. 

VW’s new All-in product (two years servicing, warranty, breakdown and MOT’s) excludes bodywork claims, and the sunroof is considered to be bodywork under the ‘definitions’ / ‘meaning of words’ section in the product documentation. Similarly, VW’s conventional Extended Warranty also excludes Bodywork, including Sunroof assemblies.

I seem to remember reading on another forum (sorry, can’t remember which forum) that cracking of the sunroof surround was attributed by VW to a fault with the installation of the sunroof assembly in the car, which suggests that if the installation is carried out correctly then the surround shouldn’t suffer these hairline cracks. If this is true, then might suggest there was also a fault with the way the dealership installed the warranty replacement in your car. If this could be proved, then I’d expect the dealer to rectify the issue, whether the car was under warranty or not. 

It’s interesting that the design of the sunroof surround has been changed for the mk8 Golf - the surround is now just a strip that bridges the gap between the front edge of the sliding panel and the top edge of the windscreen - it no longer extends along the sides of the sliding panel, so the problem corner area that seems to be susceptible to these cracks has been designed out. 

19 hours ago, R_wannabe_owner said:

Before you buy an extended warranty product, check that it would cover replacement of the sunroof surround if it happens to crack again in future. Pretty much all extended warranty products that can be bought to follow on from VW’s three year new car factory warranty will be more restrictive than the factory warranty - they will be insurance based products and most will only cover sudden and unexpected electrical and mechanical failure of specific components / parts covered under the warranty. I doubt any will include a sunroof surround within the definition an electrical or mechanical component or part. 

VW’s new All-in product (two years servicing, warranty, breakdown and MOT’s) excludes bodywork claims, and the sunroof is considered to be bodywork under the ‘definitions’ / ‘meaning of words’ section in the product documentation. Similarly, VW’s conventional Extended Warranty also excludes Bodywork, including Sunroof assemblies.

I seem to remember reading on another forum (sorry, can’t remember which forum) that cracking of the sunroof surround was attributed by VW to a fault with the installation of the sunroof assembly in the car, which suggests that if the installation is carried out correctly then the surround shouldn’t suffer these hairline cracks. If this is true, then might suggest there was also a fault with the way the dealership installed the warranty replacement in your car. If this could be proved, then I’d expect the dealer to rectify the issue, whether the car was under warranty or not. 

It’s interesting that the design of the sunroof surround has been changed for the mk8 Golf - the surround is now just a strip that bridges the gap between the front edge of the sliding panel and the top edge of the windscreen - it no longer extends along the sides of the sliding panel, so the problem corner area that seems to be susceptible to these cracks has been designed out. 

Good advice re carefully checking what an extended warranty covers and does NOT cover (in this instance watch particularly for non-coverage of existing faults).  👍

I also have a vague memory of the sunroof cracking being due to installation faults - I want to say due to insufficient adhesive being applied, but I might be misremembering.

On 23/12/2021 at 12:10, Moby said:

2svB3Tg.jpg

Just wondering if anybody had come across the following problem.

I have a 2019 Golf R 7.5. This summer I noticed a crack on the plastic trim surrounding the sunroof on the passenger side. I informed my local VW dealer (Breeze, Poole) who subsequently took the car and replaced the trim under warranty. 

Less than six months later the crack has reappereard. I have spoken to VW again and have it booked in to be fixed in January under warranty. However, they have informed me that if this were to happen again outside of the warranty I would be liable to pay for the repair myself. Any work carried out under warranty is only guaranteed until the end of the warranty. I would say that this issue is probably a design fault and am a bit perturbed that this will happen again and I will be left with a big bill. Am now thinking of selling the car once it is fixed which I really don't want to do as I love the car.

Any comments/advice would be greatly appreciated.

I agree its a worrying problem mine is just out of warranty and have read about this happening on numerous Golfs love the car like yourself and not had any problem with mine as yet 🤞question is  do i keep it and hope for the best or face a massive bill if it cracks? If it had been a design or faulty part causing a safety issue VW would have recalled all vehicles for repair irrespective of age,  but cause its just the sunroof surround its down to the owner after warranty.

19 minutes ago, VR6 South said:

I would be very interested to hear from owners of olde Golfs who have had trouble free pan roofs. It may help to put our worries into perspective.

2014 Golf R not had any problems with my pan roof.  Seem to be the newer cars that have a problem.

On 23/12/2021 at 16:52, R_wannabe_owner said:

Many thanks for the good advice. I'm going to take this up with VW UK. I have already spoken to them but they just reiterated what my local dealer had said. Also, will do some more research on the cause of the problem. Hopefully it will leave me a better position to challenge VW should the problem occur again.

14 minutes ago, Moby said:

Many thanks for the good advice. I'm going to take this up with VW UK. I have already spoken to them but they just reiterated what my local dealer had said. Also, will do some more research on the cause of the problem. Hopefully it will leave me a better position to challenge VW should the problem occur again.

@Moby; as part of your research it’d be worth looking through the thread over on golfgtiforum.co.uk at the link below. Reply#168 in that thread is of particular interest. 

https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=286255.160

38 minutes ago, R_wannabe_owner said:

@Moby; as part of your research it’d be worth looking through the thread over on golfgtiforum.co.uk at the link below. Reply#168 in that thread is of particular interest. 

https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=286255.160

Many thanks for that. Just had a quick read, seems very pertinent and interesting!!