Volkswizard. PoloGTI way more exciting than Golf R. Here we go again!

Yet more negativity to the poor old Golf R. 
The whole reason I got fed up of a high bhp / torque GTI was to buy a Golf R. Unflappably brilliant in our UK climate and roads yet everyday useable. A slight concession by Mr Volkswizard 🤔

How can you be so negative to what was described by journalists from across the board when launched as “the bench mark”. Even PH compared it on track against the more expensive RS3 at the time where the R punched well above its price point. Chris Harris was supremely impressed with the cars dynamics. 

What is this man looking for in life …..perfection…..🤔

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm sure I came across one of his tripadvisor reviews last week:  "This a great cafe, the service is great but not as good as the VW dealership where I bought my Clubsport.  Their waffle stack is

I think you’ve summed it up quite well there👍🏻 A lot of us including myself who purchase an R is that we want the vehicle to be an “all rounder”, a vehicle which is quite happy pottering around in c

Every video I’ve seen you can almost see it in his body language at the start as to which way it’ll go. He cannot accept other peoples opinions may not align with his own and then he goes defensive

Posted Images

Yet more negativity to the poor old Golf R. 
The whole reason I got fed up of a high bhp / torque GTI was to buy a Golf R. Unflappably brilliant in our UK climate and roads yet everyday useable. A slight concession by Mr Volkswizard

How can you be so negative to what was described by journalists from across the board when launched as “the bench mark”. Even PH compared it on track against the more expensive RS3 at the time where the R punched well above its price point. Chris Harris was supremely impressed with the cars dynamics. 

What is this man looking for in life …..perfection…..

Lol I was going to post this, but thought better of it, I cannot understand his reasoning with all these videos he makes, everything comes back to / is never better than that bloody Clubsport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guy's a throbber and unworthy of being a true car reviewer. All cars have good and bad points but all he seems to try to do is put the R down. EVO did a track test of the R against the RS3 and the R comprehensively whooped the RS3, albeit it was the earlier, nose heavy version. My previous R would likely give my 440 a rinsing on a twisty road whereas my 440 beats it in other areas. He's not objective enough - objectionable perhaps though.....

Sometimes a tuned car can feel better than an OE car, I guess a tuned Polo with good mods would feel great down a B road as they are a little lighter. My wife's Ibiza FR feels nice to chuck around and that's only a tiny 110 1.0t. You can really feel the weight difference between it and the R.

Once you can tune the Mk8 and maybe add some springs/coil-overs then it would be in a whole different league to the Polo.

I don't mind his content and everything is down to opinions, I don't really agree with a fair amount his thinks but hey, we are all different.

I'd much rather have a stage one R or S3 or even RS3 than any high power front wheel drive car on UK roads. I've shown a few tuned GTI's a clean pair of heals on the road so they can't be that amazing and I'm in a tuned family van! 

For a track car I'd consider a well set up FWD. 

Sometimes a tuned car can feel better than an OE car, I guess a tuned Polo with good mods would feel great down a B road as they are a little lighter. My wife's Ibiza FR feels nice to chuck around and that's only a tiny 110 1.0t. You can really feel the weight difference between it and the R.

Once you can tune the Mk8 and maybe add some springs/coil-overs then it would be in a whole different league to the Polo.

I don't mind his content and everything is down to opinions, I don't really agree with a fair amount his thinks but hey, we are all different.

I'd much rather have a stage one R or S3 or even RS3 than any high power front wheel drive car on UK roads. I've shown a few tuned GTI's a clean pair of heals on the road so they can't be that amazing and I'm in a tuned family van! 

Even my standard mk7 R left a C63S coupe for dead on a twisty road - different in a straight line but that Merc was in a right pickle - inexperienced driver I dare say as well. He had a proper tank slapper on. Quite funny tbh!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
34 minutes ago, camelsac2002 said:

Even my standard mk7 R left a C63S coupe for dead on a twisty road - different in a straight line but that Merc was in a right pickle - inexperienced driver I dare say as well. He had a proper tank slapper on. Quite funny tbh!emoji23.png

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah they are handful.

I had one in 2010. Unfortunately it was minus the all important slippy diff. They are rare to find those examples unless you get a Quaiffe or Wavetrac diff fitted.

Real gas guzzler hence I only had mine for 12 months and luckily sold it for more less what I paid.

The Polo GTI is a great little under the radar hatch and quite rare. But even better with a Wavetrac to help it in the bends. Nice and light…ish!

4 hours ago, BobbyT said:

The MK5 GTI is a great platform for a total track dedicated car. My tuner Retro Resus

https://www.retroresus.com

does a load of these for customers in the PGTI Championship.

Get a nice second hand fully built car between £16-18k. You’ll be lapping Combe in the 1.15- 1.16’s…..a mate has just bought one for fun days although he’s lucky to have a trailer and storage.

14 minutes ago, veneeringman said:

And unfortunately he has a new yardstick to compare everything to, the Porsche Boxster GTS. emoji38.png

He’s pleased as punch he’s not bought a Lemon getting it checked out after he’s parted with the cash. He only makes a video on the dangers of buying such a car at Auction then to go on give himself a pat on the back celebrating his great choice. 
Next up we will have to suffer a Clubsport v GTS video 😂

He’s pleased as punch he’s not bought a Lemon getting it checked out after he’s parted with the cash. He only makes a video on the dangers of buying such a car at Auction then to go on give himself a pat on the back celebrating his great choice. 
Next up we will have to suffer a Clubsport v GTS video

I can see the title now……..is my cheap GTS better than my clubsport, which is better than every other car known to man.