• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

that work?! 

Sounds like it’s a real hit with the family. 🙂   Spec sounds great too!   Be like new after it’s been detailed.       Not necessarily, as pretty much every R nicked is unfortun

Think the main things to check at the dealer is water pump and thermostat, TD1 flag on the ECU. As NRW has mentioned, Haldex service and since it’s on 31k miles, I’d be looking to do a DSG servic

Posted Images

31 minutes ago, SRW said:

I'm guessing the latter, anyhow, welcome to @Bodyboarder81 😉

24 minutes ago, AHG said:

Nothing exciting, profane or offensive.
Just belaboured an issue, with too many words.

It happens.  In the words of @NRW ….. move on, get over it, folks.  😁 😊

@Bodyboarder81

Let us know how your viewing of this R goes. Most members don’t share their reg numbers for security reasons so unless the car is distinctive in some way (and perhaps with some pics) it’s hard to know if it’s a car that’s been owned by someone on here.  I can well understand why you’d want to buy from and enthusiast and of a car is featured on a forum to a reasonable extent you can get some insights into its life.  I sold my mk7R last year privately to someone who shares that view (they also bought my previous mk6 GTI).  

Hope this one is a good car and of not, keep looking!  

45 minutes ago, Booth11 said:

It happens.  In the words of @NRW ….. move on, get over it, folks

Not sure why I was tagged in that, I have nothing to get over.

I was only curious as to why I got an email notification of being quoted in a post of @AHG to find it had been deleted when I got round to logging on, simple as that 😉

8 minutes ago, SRW said:

Not sure why I was tagged in that, I have nothing to get over.

I was only curious as to why I got an email notification of being quoted in a post of @AHG to find it had been deleted when I got round to logging on, simple as that 😉

You were only tagged by me as you answered my question.  The “get over it” was a general tongue-in-cheek comment not directed at you specifically.   No other reasons so no need to overthink it.  :rolleyes:

Maybe we can really move on now.  

Well I’m thoroughly confused by all the deleted posts / hand bag swinging 😂😂

but in other news …. Had a good drive in a R today . 

wow I was impressed if I’m honest ! So compliant on the rubbish road ( car had 19” and dcc ) very very good at just being a normal car ! 

changed the settings into ‘Race’ , again still very comfortable, sharpened the body up .. but still quite a lot of roll and you can feel the weight of the car . It feels no where near as go cart like as the little st , but it weighs in at probably 400kg more ( what do they weigh?) so can’t really expect it too . 

the highlight for me was the way you can put the power down mid corner and really slingshot your way out . Very impressive indeed . Also just the fit and finish was very good , no rattles at all . 

For me a let down was the noise ! Just so little of it ! I think a anti drone res delete would be a priority for me . 

I launched the car( dsg)  on a nice bit of straight road … was a bit damp and going into 2nd had a bit of axel tramp . Was somewhat disappointed with the  launch . Just so easy to do , zero drama . Was thinking that was going to be the R’s party piece but it’s the way it went about doing normal stuff very well and the pull from mid corner . 

so this has set the benchmark for me .. 18 plate 14k mile car, above my budget @ 32k 

so booked to go take a look at the car I’m actually thinking of getting in Friday . If it’s all straight and what I’m after ( won’t buy a car if it’s had any paint work) then I can see the ST getting traded in . 

5 minutes ago, Bodyboarder81 said:

but in other news …. Had a good drive in a R today . 

wow I was impressed if I’m honest ! So compliant on the rubbish road ( car had 19” and dcc ) very very good at just being a normal car ! 

changed the settings into ‘Race’ , again still very comfortable, sharpened the body up .. but still quite a lot of roll and you can feel the weight of the car . It feels no where near as go cart like as the little st , but it weighs in at probably 400kg more ( what do they weigh?) so can’t really expect it too . 

the highlight for me was the way you can put the power down mid corner and really slingshot your way out . Very impressive indeed . Also just the fit and finish was very good , no rattles at all . 

For me a let down was the noise ! Just so little of it ! I think a anti drone res delete would be a priority for me . 

I launched the car( dsg)  on a nice bit of straight road … was a bit damp and going into 2nd had a bit of axel tramp . Was somewhat disappointed with the  launch . Just so easy to do , zero drama . Was thinking that was going to be the R’s party piece but it’s the way it went about doing normal stuff very well and the pull from mid corner . 

so this has set the benchmark for me .. 18 plate 14k mile car, above my budget @ 32k 

so booked to go take a look at the car I’m actually thinking of getting in Friday . If it’s all straight and what I’m after ( won’t buy a car if it’s had any paint work) then I can see the ST getting traded in . 

The noise is always a bit of a let down tbh but can be remedied.  As for the launch, it may not be the party piece you were hoping for but the real party piece of the the R is that it has relatively little in terms of compromise as a performance daily driver.  That’s it’s party piece. 

Sounds like you were impressed overall so I do hope you find an R to at least meet your benchmark.  

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Booth11 said:

The noise is always a bit of a let down tbh but can be remedied.  As for the launch, it may not be the party piece you were hoping for but the real party piece of the the R is that it has relatively little in terms of compromise as a performance daily driver.  That’s it’s party piece. 

Sounds like you were impressed overall so I do hope you find an R to at least meet your benchmark.  

Yes over all I’m very impressed … I drove a mk7.5 gti PP , and felt the R was a better package for an everyday car with regards putting the power down and even felt it was better to bribe than the gti . 

VW really should have sex’d the interior up a bit on the R though . The front seats are the main gripe . Just so boring ! Very comfortable but totally uninspiring to view . But you can’t have it all I guess !! 

Edited by Bodyboarder81

I take full responsibility for that one

Some days my sense of humour just leaves me without letting me know, and it takes me a minutes to realize it’s left and acknowledge I’ve been “extra”, as the youngens say.
5 minutes ago, Bodyboarder81 said:

Yes over all I’m very impressed … I drove a mk7.5 gti PP , and felt the R was a better package for an everyday car with regards putting the power down and even felt it was better to bribe than the gti . 

VW really should have sex’d the interior up a bit on the R though . The front seats are the main gripe . Just so boring ! Very comfortable but totally uninspiring to view . But you can’t have it all I guess !! 

I agree on the seats, something VW have addressed (to a point with the mk8). However if you’re willing to spend some cash you can sex it up yourself.  Check out some of the mk7 Members’ Rides threads and threads in the Mk7 Modifying section for those who have retrofitted recaro seats to give it that extra something hat VW didn’t. 

I actually love that “lack of effort” look about the Golf R.
Compared to other sporty variants of compact cars … a R is elegantly aloof :-)

One of my gripes with the Audi (mine, and in general) is that they try too hard.
My 8V is on the verge of being gosh.
The a45 and the S3 8Y are too much so, IMHO.

Just one of the reasons I ordered a 8R

3 minutes ago, Booth11 said:

I agree on the seats, something VW have addressed (to a point with the mk8). However if you’re willing to spend some cash you can sex it up yourself.  Check out some of the mk7 Members’ Rides threads and threads in the Mk7 Modifying section for those who have retrofitted recaro seats to give it that extra something hat VW didn’t. 

ah sounds interesting! 

I did start looking at the mk7 gti clubsport as the seats ( optional recaros ) are absolutely beautiful. Then I found out that in 3 door form that the upper latch doesn’t slide the seat forward , you have to reach down every time to use the slider under the seat . This would become an absolute ball ache getting the kids in everyday . Any reasonable person would just buy the 5 door … but I just love the way the 3 doors look and my wife is happy to have 3 door as well still .