New Engine Required After Just 33,500 Miles

I would be very grateful if anyone can give me any advice on my issue please. I've had a coolant leak on the car (2016 MK7R) which was first highlighted last year after annual service.

Cause was then misdiagnosed by a reputable independent, they completed £750 repairs, but refunded me the whole amount after issue continued. VW then misdiagnosed the leak, completed £350 of repairs and then refunded me the whole amount after issue continued. It was then diagnosed by VW as Head Gasket failure. The quote was £2,750 and they were asking me to pay the first £1,000 but and the rest would be covered by goodwill.

They've had the car for 1.5 weeks and have just advised that it is not the head gasket, but that there is a hairline crack in the cast iron casting of the cylinder block. When engine is at normal operating temperature, the coolant is leaking out.

As a result, a whole new engine is required as the cylinder block isn't available as a single part. The estimated repair is c.£9,000.

1. I've owned the car since new and purchased via VW Dealership
  2. Picked up 05/03/16 so not quite 6 years old
  3. Only 33,500 miles
  4. Completely standard and always has been
  5. No track days
  6. No accidents
  7. Always maintained annually through Volkswagen
  8. No factory goodwill from Germany due to the vehicle age
  9. The car is currently still sitting in the VW garage in pieces.  I have a courtesy Golf
  10. I'm waiting to hear back from a case raised with VW Customer Care

I acknowledge the car is 5.75 years old. But to me this failing is not wear and tear. Not after 33,000 gentle school run miles. And it's a non-serviceable part. I know that 2nd hand engines can be found for much cheaper, but I genuinely don't feel like I should be paying for any of this. And I'm not prepared to do so. That cost is more than half the cars current value and nearly 30% of its value when purchased new. That type of failing of the engine must have been destined since it left the factory.

I'll seek legal action if necessary, but I just wondered what the thoughts were of the forum please. £9,000 is a huge amount of money. Am I wasting my time, or do I have a case?

Thanks

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sit rep.   I now have my own car back.  I haven’t had it since 10th January.   (Incidentally, when I returned the courtesy car keys this morning, he said that that car had already been sold,

For the benefit of anyone else who comes across this thread or the OP if they are still trying to get a satisfactory resolution.  I am not suggesting press the button on a court claim or even necessar

Stage 2 remap, surely? 

I know cars that have had a very hard life that dont magically have a cracked engine block.

this is definitely a manufacturing defect during the casting process, i'm not sure whether they check for cracks post casting but I assume they do.

no way after 6 years of heat cycles do cracks form for no reason.

i'd definitely be fighting it

3 hours ago, ToRnado_R said:

In the meantime you could get advice from

http://www.themotorombudsman.org/contact

There is a phone number at the bottom of that page, they would also support in case of dispute resolution.

Thanks, I will them give them a call but I think I have to give the retailer a chance to sort the issue first. 

2 hours ago, samm said:

I know cars that have had a very hard life that dont magically have a cracked engine block.

this is definitely a manufacturing defect during the casting process, i'm not sure whether they check for cracks post casting but I assume they do.

no way after 6 years of heat cycles do cracks form for no reason.

i'd definitely be fighting it

Thanks for the response Sam.  My thoughts exactly.  They may still try to assert the 36 month/60,000 mile limited warranty clause, and there is an expectation that certain things have faults soon after that time, suspension etc, but not the engine block.

6 years. Sale of goods act. Now consumer rights. Does the selling dealer exist. You need to approach them and may need some professional advice as to how to handle this. You've got limited time before raising it and making a submission to start the process. I.e you are time barred after 6 years. 

Just wondering but do let the engine warm up at all when you fire it up since you’ve had it? Especially in this kind of weather?

I know technology is a lot better now but I’ve seen people thrash cars from cold and a few years later engine failure. Even seen an old engine split before

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I got into discussing tuning my old mk7 Fiesta ST, I was told never go by the temp gauge to put your foot down, oil temp is more important. In the ST we had no oil temp, so was told to wait a couple of miles of steady driving.

Since having the R, I was surprised how long the oil takes to get to around 100°. On the way to work on cold mornings, with mainly 70mph driving it takes my car about 5 or 6 miles to hit peak oil temp. I'm sure you can drive it harder when it gets near to peak temp, but I still wait for it to peak.

I always worry reading these posts as my car is a 2014 model 😂

Hopefully you can get it sorted as your still within the 6 year timeframe. If you’ve not done any engine modifications then surely you are fully within your rights to get all/most of the cost covered for a new engine.

4 hours ago, fastandy said:

6 years. Sale of goods act. Now consumer rights. Does the selling dealer exist. You need to approach them and may need some professional advice as to how to handle this. You've got limited time before raising it and making a submission to start the process. I.e you are time barred after 6 years. 

Yeah, originally purchased from JCB VW Medway in Gillingham so they are still around.  The current dealer who has the car atm also mentioned the 6 years cut off too, so I'm glad this is just within that time...for what it's worth.  

4 hours ago, Raiden said:

Just wondering but do let the engine warm up at all when you fire it up since you’ve had it? Especially in this kind of weather?

I know technology is a lot better now but I’ve seen people thrash cars from cold and a few years later engine failure. Even seen an old engine split before

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've always let the car warm up before any hard acceleration.  In fact I usually just keep the oil temp on the screen most of the time.  That isn't to say I'm rinsing the car after that.  I've never really been one to thrash the car, just good to have the pace when you need it occasionally.  Most of my journeys aren't very long now either so the oil only just gets to temp, and 50% of the time, I have my kids in the car and am taking it easy.

1 hour ago, Swerve said:

You would have thought Vw uk would get involved an engine failure like this can not be good for them at all. Such a shame sounds like you have looked after your car very well that you did not take out an extended Vw warranty? 

I honestly didn't consider Extended Warranty.  I think VW contacted me at the time but I felt that my annual mileage was low, the car was well maintained and I never really pushed it, so I didn't feel particularly at risk.  You could say this has been quite the eye opener.

21 minutes ago, Beery said:

I always worry reading these posts as my car is a 2014 model 😂

Hopefully you can get it sorted as your still within the 6 year timeframe. If you’ve not done any engine modifications then surely you are fully within your rights to get all/most of the cost covered for a new engine.

🙂I wouldn't worry about your car engine.  I imagine these occurrences aren't too frequent.  Aren't I the lucky one...😒

21 minutes ago, Operation Blade said:

🙂I wouldn't worry about your car engine.  I imagine these occurrences aren't too frequent.  Aren't I the lucky one...😒

I have a 2014 model which has been on extended warranty ever since I’ve purchased it in 2017. I would worry about a huge bill like this if it wasn’t for the warranty. Only 3 warranty claims since my ownership. 2 water pumps and a bi-xenon bulb replacement.