Time to say goodbye to the R (now gone and replaced with a Tesla)

So after just over 2 years of ownership and 13,000 miles, the time has come to move on the R. 

By far the best car I’ve owned. The only brand new car I’ve ordered and owned. It was always a bit of a dream car to own for me. 

Due to a little one arriving, raising petrol costs it’s time to get something more practical and electric. I’ve ordered a Tesla Model 3 Long Range which is due sometime in March. Couldn’t quite justify the performance model unfortunately)

I’ll be popping it up in the ads section in due course. But here are some pictures and the spec. I think I spec’d it up pretty well with some nice options. 

Lapiz Blue

Heated Vienna Leather

Dynaudio

Climate Front Windscreen

DCC

Discover Navigation Pro

& Side Scan / Blind spot indicators in the mirror (I think this is quite a rare option but I couldn’t live without it!) 

It’s also ceramic coated and regularly cleaned. A few small stone chips / marks but in beautiful condition. I also replaced the tyres with Michelin PS4 and had a custom perforated and smooth leather steering wheel fitted (I had made a post about this)  from royal steering wheels. 

I will definitely miss it. Enjoyed every minute of driving it. Trying to balance selling it at the right time before the model 3 comes, we have a second car but I need the car more as summer approaches as I’m a wedding photographer and don’t want to leave my wife without a car but also aware used car prices are good right now. 

Also, thanks to everyone on this forum. It’s been much help and a love reading all the posts. I learned how to do a few OB11 tweaks as well (coming home lights, auto high beam memory and turning the soundaktor) 

Thanks! 

81EFEDC9-A4E0-4042-8B29-F631697B9C29.jpeg

EC987B78-86E2-4D51-9C74-3733F8833C73.jpeg

1 hour ago, George Ambler said:

So after just over 2 years of ownership and 13,000 miles, the time has come to move on the R. 

By far the best car I’ve owned. The only brand new car I’ve ordered and owned. It was always a bit of a dream car to own for me. 

Due to a little one arriving, raising petrol costs it’s time to get something more practical and electric. I’ve ordered a Tesla Model 3 Long Range which is due sometime in March. Couldn’t quite justify the performance model unfortunately)

I’ll be popping it up in the ads section in due course. But here are some pictures and the spec. I think I spec’d it up pretty well with some nice options. 

Lapiz Blue

Heated Vienna Leather

Dynaudio

Climate Front Windscreen

DCC

Discover Navigation Pro

& Side Scan / Blind spot indicators in the mirror (I think this is quite a rare option but I couldn’t live without it!) 

It’s also ceramic coated and regularly cleaned. A few small stone chips / marks but in beautiful condition. I also replaced the tyres with Michelin PS4 and had a custom perforated and smooth leather steering wheel fitted (I had made a post about this)  from royal steering wheels. 

I will definitely miss it. Enjoyed every minute of driving it. Trying to balance selling it at the right time before the model 3 comes, we have a second car but I need the car more as summer approaches as I’m a wedding photographer and don’t want to leave my wife without a car but also aware used car prices are good right now. 

Also, thanks to everyone on this forum. It’s been much help and a love reading all the posts. I learned how to do a few OB11 tweaks as well (coming home lights, auto high beam memory and turning the soundaktor) 

Thanks! 

81EFEDC9-A4E0-4042-8B29-F631697B9C29.jpeg

EC987B78-86E2-4D51-9C74-3733F8833C73.jpeg

Good luck with the sale,looks a minter.I’m sure it won’t hang around for long.👍🏻

Good luck, should sell easily in current market

Not sure I follow your man maths on the Tesla due to rising petrol costs, £50k buys a lot of V-Power even at today’s Vlad inflated prices

29 minutes ago, Shug said:

Good luck, should sell easily in current market

Not sure I follow your man maths on the Tesla due to rising petrol costs, £50k buys a lot of V-Power even at today’s Vlad inflated prices

There might be a little man mats there admitted. But it works out about £200 a month more for me on a PCP.  Taking into account the petrol, servicing and road tax, I’ll be slightly better off each month. 

I've recently been looking at the idea of selling my R and going for a Tesla Model 3 (long range), a Tesla Model 3 currently being the only EV worth bothering with in that price bracket.....but too many things just don't quite work out atm for me to go down that route.

First is the insane rise in electricity costs (rising at a rate many multiples greater than that of petrol) and the pulling of many of the EV tariff's recently by the energy providers. EDF have just shelved their entire GoElectric tariff range, ya can't get any quotes on them atm.

Octopus have changed all their T&C's for Octopus Go basically saying they can pull and dump you off any contract you have whenever they like, and put you on a new one with much higher rates - which I expect they will do if the wholesale price is sustained at this insane level (or worse)....couple that with the fact that the public charging network is extortionate now in most places. Tesla superchargers are no longer free for any car post 2017 and I believe are close to 30p per kwh now...I expect that to rise further - gone are the days of free charging that's for sure!

With that the savings over petrol cars are dwindling and I don't expect it to get any better any time soon what with Putin's Russia descending to the 7th layer of hell and being outcast from the human race for the next decade or so for horrific crimes against humanity......anyway I digress.

Secondly is the Tesla Model 3 itself which I have some issues with. Even getting past the awful interior blandness and that hideous Fisher Price looking steering wheel, the biggest thing that's putting me off it atm is the apparent ride quality (or lack of).

I admit I haven't test drove one yet, but apparently its pretty firm and very noisy on semi rough roads. I don't know how it will compare to something like a golf R, but from what I have read its not great - that may not be a problem for some, but personally I am very fussy on ride quality, with my R on 19's with DCC in comfort and softer MPS4S tyres - it's only borderline acceptable.

So if I was to give up my sporty Golf R and go for some numb Tesla EV, throwing sporting credentials at least half way out of the window - I'd want it to make up in other departments and at the very least want it to be a comfortable cruiser, certainly much better than what I've got now with the R and I suspect it is actually worse due to lack of any active dampers & simplified cost saving suspension design, with it having to be stiff to cope with the sheer weight and relatively low ride height for a vehicle of this weight class.

So I'm sticking with the R - for now anyway.

Great to hear you’ve really enjoyed your R George.  It’s always hard to let a good car go, but looks like somebody is going to get a lovely R.  Looks a beautiful car and very well cared for.  Best of luck with selling it, I’m sure it’ll be snapped up in no time.  Please put it up in the forum Classifieds if you’re advertising it on here as that’s the place to do it.

I hope the Tesla is enjoyable in its own way and proves to be a good move for you.  😊

Great to hear of good times with your R, George - good luck with the Tesla Model 3!    Car looks a beaut, super spec, can’t think of any reasons why it will not sell quickly and for a strong price to a new adoring owner. Really hope all goes well for you. 😀

15 hours ago, blower said:

I've recently been looking at the idea of selling my R and going for a Tesla Model 3 (long range), a Tesla Model 3 currently being the only EV worth bothering with in that price bracket.....but too many things just don't quite work out atm for me to go down that route.

First is the insane rise in electricity costs (rising at a rate many multiples greater than that of petrol) and the pulling of many of the EV tariff's recently by the energy providers. EDF have just shelved their entire GoElectric tariff range, ya can't get any quotes on them atm.

Octopus have changed all their T&C's for Octopus Go basically saying they can pull and dump you off any contract you have whenever they like, and put you on a new one with much higher rates - which I expect they will do if the wholesale price is sustained at this insane level (or worse)....couple that with the fact that the public charging network is extortionate now in most places. Tesla superchargers are no longer free for any car post 2017 and I believe are close to 30p per kwh now...I expect that to rise further - gone are the days of free charging that's for sure!

With that the savings over petrol cars are dwindling and I don't expect it to get any better any time soon what with Putin's Russia descending to the 7th layer of hell and being outcast from the human race for the next decade or so for horrific crimes against humanity......anyway I digress.

Secondly is the Tesla Model 3 itself which I have some issues with. Even getting past the awful interior blandness and that hideous Fisher Price looking steering wheel, the biggest thing that's putting me off it atm is the apparent ride quality (or lack of).

I admit I haven't test drove one yet, but apparently its pretty firm and very noisy on semi rough roads. I don't know how it will compare to something like a golf R, but from what I have read its not great - that may not be a problem for some, but personally I am very fussy on ride quality, with my R on 19's with DCC in comfort and softer MPS4S tyres - it's only borderline acceptable.

So if I was to give up my sporty Golf R and go for some numb Tesla EV, throwing sporting credentials at least half way out of the window - I'd want it to make up in other departments and at the very least want it to be a comfortable cruiser, certainly much better than what I've got now with the R and I suspect it is actually worse due to lack of any active dampers & simplified cost saving suspension design, with it having to be stiff to cope with the sheer weight and relatively low ride height for a vehicle of this weight class.

So I'm sticking with the R - for now anyway.

I get your points. We’ve just switched to octopus at 30p per KWH day and 7.5p per KWH for 12:30am - 4:30am. This means I get 50% charge for like £2.80. The chances of needing to charge more than 50% over night is slim in most cases. 

supercharging costs, yes may rise. But even at the current approx 25p a full “tank” would only ever be £22.50. Again though, you never charge from empty to full on these. £22.50 is a lot cheaper than getting on for £80 for petrol in the R! 

Regarding the ride, yes it’s definitely not as comfy as the R, especially an R with DCC. I’m basically in concord 95% of the time. So that is a compromise. But the other benefits out weight this more. I find the Tesla seats comfier than the R’s that also help this. (I drove my mums 3 LR to Bristol recently)  

interior looks, I like the minimalist look and this is subjective I suppose. Quality, yeah probably not as good but these latest Chinese made cars are much better! 

the autopilot (and I’ve gone enhanced autopilot) just makes long motorway journeys a breeze. The constant software updates and improvements are also such a good selling point. 

again, just my views on it. I get where you’re coming from. The other main reason for me, is the extra space. The buggy only takes up half the boot in the Tesla, compared to the whole boot on the R. You’ve then got the front boot and the under floor space in the boot (which is huge!) 

10 hours ago, AHG said:

I heard Tesla has plans to make the LR
be able to get OTA upgraded to Performance

99% of the car is identical, after all.

you can currently get a performance boost, which increases power and 0-60 right in between the long rang and the performance. I’m not sure about an update that boosts it to full performance spec as these have different suspension and brakes etc. 

the performance boost is £1500 in app purchase and changes the 0-60 from 4.2 seconds to 3.7! 

12 hours ago, NRW said:

Great to hear of good times with your R, George - good luck with the Tesla Model 3!    Car looks a beaut, super spec, can’t think of any reasons why it will not sell quickly and for a strong price to a new adoring owner. Really hope all goes well for you. 😀

Thank you! 

yeah, I’m hoping it’ll sell easily. I’m going to try privately first, and then if not, motorway are offering a decent price at the moment along with a local  VW garage 

13 hours ago, Booth11 said:

Great to hear you’ve really enjoyed your R George.  It’s always hard to let a good car go, but looks like somebody is going to get a lovely R.  Looks a beautiful car and very well cared for.  Best of luck with selling it, I’m sure it’ll be snapped up in no time.  Please put it up in the forum Classifieds if you’re advertising it on here as that’s the place to do it.

I hope the Tesla is enjoyable in its own way and proves to be a good move for you.  😊

Thank you. 

I’ll certainly be putting it up in the classifieds when I’m ready. 

58 minutes ago, George Ambler said:

Thank you! 

yeah, I’m hoping it’ll sell easily. I’m going to try privately first, and then if not, motorway are offering a decent price at the moment along with a local  VW garage 

Motorway are suggesting a reserve that they think you might get. They are an on line auction not a buyer.

That said I got more than the reserve for mine a couple of months ago. All depends who bids on the day

20 hours ago, Shug said:

Motorway are suggesting a reserve that they think you might get. They are an on line auction not a buyer.

That said I got more than the reserve for mine a couple of months ago. All depends who bids on the day

Yeah, I’ve used motorway a few times and have always got over the estimate and was great to use start to finish. Current, Beadles VW offer is £900 than motorway’s reserve 

• 2 weeks later...

So that’s it. She’s all washed and ready to be collected by her new owner tomorrow morning. I’m then off to Southampton to collect the Tesla, timings couldn’t have worked out any better. 

Will be missed but enjoyed the times with her and time for new things! 

Thanks again for all the help on this forum. 

1FB25CBA-32A4-4526-B9C5-26B79798E279.jpeg

• George Ambler changed the title to Time to say goodbye to the R (now gone and replaced with a Tesla)