Vehicle Tax renewal shocker

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When I first paid my 'we deem you as doing too well in life so now you have to pay the same tax as someone with a million pound car'...tax - It hurt, and my rear felt sore for a few days.

Yes Andy and blower.  Snoopy is 1 year old next Thursday.  Planning the party as I type. 🎉🎂🍾  😂    It’s gone unbelievably quick!   It’s been a great car year, loved every one of the (almost)

I feel your rear pain blower.  I paid mine a couple weeks back but it’s only now that I can sit comfortably on the couch without using a doughnut cushion.  

Posted Images

49 minutes ago, dopper99 said:

So your car is one year old Becs? That went quick! 😀

48 minutes ago, blower said:

Yeah, i was thinking the exact same thing!

Yes Andy and blower.  Snoopy is 1 year old next Thursday.  Planning the party as I type. 🎉🎂🍾  😂 

It’s gone unbelievably quick!   It’s been a great car year, loved every one of the (almost) 8k miles, even the ones that come courtesy of sitting for seemingly endless hours in traffic at temporary traffic lights (thanks to the mass house building here in the south east).  

I got very lucky getting it in only 9 weeks, but I do really feel for those who have waited and age for theirs and even more so for anyone still waiting (such as yourself Andy and everyone else on here who live their forum lives in the Mk8R order thread. 😞

I’ll probably jot down a few thoughts, a little one year summary, in my members’ ride thread when time permits as I think it’s good to share about ownership of cars over the longer term.   But here’s an advance snippet

……..one year in and I’ve still not accidentally turned on the steering wheel heating, I’m taking that as my achievement of the year….  🤣

But back on topic…..

This ⬇️ is worth it 😂

A93C166C-2853-4239-BFEB-A9D96F5C5555.thumb.jpeg.bc22f2ff22627c7ed5a63f9a3e9c82b8.jpeg

1 hour ago, blower said:

When I first paid my 'we deem you as doing too well in life so now you have to pay the same tax as someone with a million pound car'...tax - It hurt, and my rear felt sore for a few days.

I feel your rear pain blower.  I paid mine a couple weeks back but it’s only now that I can sit comfortably on the couch without using a doughnut cushion.  

12 minutes ago, VR6 South said:

Doesn’t the rate drop after 4 years? I am paying the same tax on my 7.5.

You have to pay the additional VED rate for 5 years which is counted from the second time the car is taxed.   Mine has the additional VED (currently £335) payable until 2027 when it drops to standard rate only.  

18 minutes ago, Booth11 said:

Yes Andy and blower.  Snoopy is 1 year old next Thursday.  Planning the party as I type. 🎉🎂🍾  😂 

It’s gone unbelievably quick!   It’s been a great car year, loved every one of the (almost) 8k miles, even the ones that come courtesy of sitting for seemingly endless hours in traffic at temporary traffic lights (thanks to the mass house building here in the south east).  

I got very lucky getting it in only 9 weeks, but I do really feel for those who have waited and age for theirs and even more so for anyone still waiting (such as yourself Andy and everyone else on here who live their forum lives in the Mk8R order thread. 😞

I’ll probably jot down a few thoughts, a little one year summary, in my members’ ride thread when time permits as I think it’s good to share about ownership of cars over the longer term.   But here’s an advance snippet

……..one year in and I’ve still not accidentally turned on the steering wheel heating, I’m taking that as my achievement of the year….  🤣

But back on topic…..

This ⬇️ is worth it 😂

A93C166C-2853-4239-BFEB-A9D96F5C5555.thumb.jpeg.bc22f2ff22627c7ed5a63f9a3e9c82b8.jpeg

Look forward to your 1 year write-up Becs! 🙂 Hopefully I'll have mine soon .... then I can do my own write-up! LOL

Yes I remember 1 year ago when I was umming and arrring but not really serious, Still had my 7.5R 2019.

But then in March/April time the 2nd hand prices started to go bananas hence my reason for ordering mine and selling my 7.5 as I thought prices would drop (no-one knew what would happen of course). But ordered 1 month too late (most March orders had their cars months ago) and us April orders are still waiting! It'll come all in due course.

But that road tax figure, looks scary on paper!!! But I suppose its "only" 300 odd quid more than you'd have to pay anyway for any other car (less than £40K list). 🙂

23 minutes ago, dopper99 said:

Look forward to your 1 year write-up Becs! 🙂 Hopefully I'll have mine soon .... then I can do my own write-up! LOL

Yes I remember 1 year ago when I was umming and arrring but not really serious, Still had my 7.5R 2019.

But then in March/April time the 2nd hand prices started to go bananas hence my reason for ordering mine and selling my 7.5 as I thought prices would drop (no-one knew what would happen of course). But ordered 1 month too late (most March orders had their cars months ago) and us April orders are still waiting! It'll come all in due course.

But that road tax figure, looks scary on paper!!! But I suppose its "only" 300 odd quid more than you'd have to pay anyway for any other car (less than £40K list). 🙂

Trouble is Andy these are strange times and you can’t crystal ball gaze and know exactly how things are going to pan out, as much as you try to plan things.  I mean look at the last couple weeks and the horrors being lived out in Ukraine - it’s impact on the car industry is of no importance in the context of war but factually brings further unexpected delays.  It’s crazy to think you’ve been waiting since last April, but I really admire your stoicism and how you’ve kept the enthusiasm and momentum going as that’s quite something over all this time.  And as everyone (well, most) who has got theirs says,hang in there still, because it’s a tremendous car.   

Conversely, I ordered mine in the Jan (2021) expecting it to arrive late May/early June early summer as the lead-in times were about 17-21 weeks at that point, and that’s what I’d be told.  I was in no great rush to get it so that suited me fine.  I couldn’t believe it when James at JCB Medway informed me it was to be built in the Feb!  I’ve never had a car come so quick. My 7R took 8 months and the cars before that between 4 and 5 months.  I had to hurriedly start to get my head round selling mk7R quick to release funds (this was before the massive increase in used prices) but very fortunately, the person who bought my mk6GTI had kept in contact over the years and had semi-jokingly made his interest in my 7R known over a few annual messages.  And after lots of messaging back and forth over Facebook messenger, and working around Covid lockdowns and transportation (from deepest Kent to Scotland) logistics, he became the proud owner of the car.  Anyway, mid March it was here and I’ve loved having it this last year as it’s turned out to be much more than I had thought it would be.  

But back to tax, it does look scary on paper but once it’s paid, it’s paid, for a year anyway.  

The road tax is the one thing that puts me off….I ordered below road tax limits, price rises still under, I believe the price has risen twice more due to VWs failure to deliver is going to cost me £1750 over 5 years and I am sure the initial payment is probably more too. Surely the government need to raise the 40k in line with inflation, like everything else.