Kieran's Stage 3 MK7 Golf R

Thought I'd share my current Stage 3 Golf R. Been a member on here since 2017 after owning my first Golf R that I took to Stage 3 which I sold in 2019. I missed it more than I thought, so I bought another in 2020 and have taken it Stage 3... again 😅

Here's a list of the current mod list/spec:

• VUDU Stage 3 ECU and TCU software
  • Turbo Technics V4 hybrid IS38 turbo
  • Trackslag Downpipe 4"
  • Milltek cat back, non res with valves
  • Revo intercooler
  • Revo LPFP
  • Autotech HPFP
  • Forge carbon fibre intake
  • Pro hoses intake hose and elbow
  • NGK Racing R7438-9 spark plugs
  • Racingline catch can
  • 4 BAR map sensor
  • KW V3 coilovers
  • VWR Full Dogbone Mount
  • SuperPro Rear ARB
  • Revo RV019 w/Michelin PS4S, 235/35/19
  • AP Racing Calipers w/390mm discs & RTS brake pads

Here are my current fastest valid Dragy times, all carried out with full weight and 99 ron fuel;

- 1/4 Mile, 11.11s @ 125mph

- 0-60MPH, 3.13s (2.92s w/1ft roll out)

- 100-200KP/H 7.10s

It's currently running a base map so there's still more left in it! It's booked in to finish the Stage 3 calibration on 31st March, so will hopefully have some quicker times in April! Very excited to see what she'll do afterwards.

B71C274C-B6FE-4D55-8CE7-57542031D6BD.JPG

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thought I'd share my current Stage 3 Golf R. Been a member on here since 2017 after owning my first Golf R that I took to Stage 3 which I sold in 2019. I missed it more than I thought, so I bought ano

I've done well over 50k miles between this Golf R and my last one, both whilst running Stage 3 with a TTv4 running over 500BHP. Done countless track days and Nurburgring trips, and not once had an eng

That's some spec you have my friend 👍

Posted Images

• 1 month later...
On 18/03/2022 at 01:06, Msportman said:

Thought that was my car on track then!

Nice spec

You didn’t fancy a TTV5?

Have you run this turbo much on track yet?

Haha! Thanks, I didn’t I think 500-520bhp is the sweet spot, quick enough and isn’t pushing the engine as far, so considered quite “safe” in my opinion

I’ve done two track days with the turbo on this Golf R, and it’s great. On my last Golf R I also had a TTv4 and did 8-9 track days and again was faultless 👌🏻

53 minutes ago, G16OCK said:

Nice spec, how do you find that lower mount? VUDU did my mk2 RS years ago didn’t know they were still about tbh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s great. When it was first installed there were a lot of vibrations, but once bedded in it’s much better - can hardly tell the difference

The VUDU software on this platform is fantastic 👌🏻

2 hours ago, Kieran said:

Haha! Thanks, I didn’t I think 500-520bhp is the sweet spot, quick enough and isn’t pushing the engine as far, so considered quite “safe” in my opinion

I’ve done two track days with the turbo on this Golf R, and it’s great. On my last Golf R I also had a TTv4 and did 8-9 track days and again was faultless 👌🏻

Thanks

I’ve been told the TTV4 runs a lot hotter than the TTV5 the TTV4 being a hybrid IS38. 
I was advised the TTV5 will comfortably achieve 500-560 depending on state of tune. So your TTV4 is running towards the max @ 500-520?

Did your tuner make mention the risk of rod / bearing failures? One of the reasons I wanted to keep costs down and fit a TTV4 and both pumps changed .

The TTV5 runs with less stress I suppose. Must feel incredibly quick @500-520!

I’m more likely to change the car now and go for something different as I be had her from new and will probably start hunting down a replacement….difficult boots to fill😂

Are you local to Wakefield? Be nice to check the car out, I’m running stage 3 on a venom 550, I wouldn’t mind that mount on mine

On 02/05/2022 at 00:54, Msportman said:

Thanks

I’ve been told the TTV4 runs a lot hotter than the TTV5 the TTV4 being a hybrid IS38. 
I was advised the TTV5 will comfortably achieve 500-560 depending on state of tune. So your TTV4 is running towards the max @ 500-520?

Did your tuner make mention the risk of rod / bearing failures? One of the reasons I wanted to keep costs down and fit a TTV4 and both pumps changed .

The TTV5 runs with less stress I suppose. Must feel incredibly quick @500-520!

I’m more likely to change the car now and go for something different as I be had her from new and will probably start hunting down a replacement….difficult boots to fill😂

I've done well over 50k miles between this Golf R and my last one, both whilst running Stage 3 with a TTv4 running over 500BHP. Done countless track days and Nurburgring trips, and not once had an engine related issue. Potentially just luck, but I maintained them both very well, regular oil changes with quality oil, kept air filters clean, fresh spark plugs every 6-8k, always let car cool down and warm up correctly. 

I run own a garage (KWJ Performance in Warrington) and we've done a few Stage 3 builds for customers with the V4 and not one of them has had a failure yet. They have all been tuned by various different companies too. I do know of people who have had failures though, but I don't think it's as 'common' as a lot of people make out.

It made around 505BHP on the dyno recently, but yeah it's pretty quick haha! I always recommend going Stage 3 expecting to need an engine at some point, at the end of the day it's a massive power increase, around £2.5-3.5k for a used low mileage engine including fitting so it's really not the end of the world if it all goes wrong! Highly recommend it if you are prepared for that, not much can keep up with these, especially from a standing start

On 02/05/2022 at 07:44, G16OCK said:

Are you local to Wakefield? Be nice to check the car out, I’m running stage 3 on a venom 550, I wouldn’t mind that mount on mine

I'm down in Warrington, not too far away

3 hours ago, Kieran said:

I've done well over 50k miles between this Golf R and my last one, both whilst running Stage 3 with a TTv4 running over 500BHP. Done countless track days and Nurburgring trips, and not once had an engine related issue. Potentially just luck, but I maintained them both very well, regular oil changes with quality oil, kept air filters clean, fresh spark plugs every 6-8k, always let car cool down and warm up correctly. 

I run own a garage (KWJ Performance in Warrington) and we've done a few Stage 3 builds for customers with the V4 and not one of them has had a failure yet. They have all been tuned by various different companies too. I do know of people who have had failures though, but I don't think it's as 'common' as a lot of people make out.

It made around 505BHP on the dyno recently, but yeah it's pretty quick haha! I always recommend going Stage 3 expecting to need an engine at some point, at the end of the day it's a massive power increase, around £2.5-3.5k for a used low mileage engine including fitting so it's really not the end of the world if it all goes wrong! Highly recommend it if you are prepared for that, not much can keep up with these, especially from a standing start

So do you fit the TTV5?

Will at VRS and Retro Resus fit many turbo’s in different states of tune and both recommended TTV5 for the reasons of low stress better heat management et running Ecotune software. 

TBH I find stage 2 on circuit is pretty ballistic especially at Combe. I suspect the bigger power build would be of more benefit at Silverstone or Thruxton etc.

I put the whole package together ie turbo kit, pumps, engine build, parts, labour and VAT and your pretty much at £10k. 

It’s a good package if you can keep it long term and keep it reliable. There isn’t much else other than BMW’s, Merc and Porsche with similar performance for a lot more money.

Track work ordinarily in my experience on big build turbo cars can kill the car and wallet !

9 hours ago, Msportman said:

So do you fit the TTV5?

Will at VRS and Retro Resus fit many turbo’s in different states of tune and both recommended TTV5 for the reasons of low stress better heat management et running Ecotune software. 

TBH I find stage 2 on circuit is pretty ballistic especially at Combe. I suspect the bigger power build would be of more benefit at Silverstone or Thruxton etc.

I put the whole package together ie turbo kit, pumps, engine build, parts, labour and VAT and your pretty much at £10k. 

It’s a good package if you can keep it long term and keep it reliable. There isn’t much else other than BMW’s, Merc and Porsche with similar performance for a lot more money.

Track work ordinarily in my experience on big build turbo cars can kill the car and wallet !

No, I have the TTv4 on mine :) 

Yeah Stage 3 definitely is a lot to handle on some smaller tracks haha