• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ooh err!     sorry could that resist.  😂

Carbon fibre goodness...   

It hasn't been released at the moment, when it does drop we'll for sure pop up a post on here. 

Posted Images

1 hour ago, AHG said:

The only purpose of the engine cover (except for aesthetically hiding the mess of tubing and harnesses) is to make sure you don’t burn your hand if you touch the engine while it’s hot … so, just don’t, and we’re fine 🙂

98b0c1878fa329eb0a3792c28f769101.jpg

And it’s other purpose is stop dust and grime collecting in every nook of the engine (and there are a great many of those) that pisses us detailing nerds off.  😄  Seriously I hope they do get a replacement soon for that very reason.  The bit without the lower engine cover is a pita to clean so the rest of it exposed…arghhh. 

I don’t think it changes as per dust, because 99% of the time the bonnet is closed so dust is not coming from above (only from below and sides)

But it does cover up this part so you can’t see whatever does on in there :-)

I wonder if a Cupra or Audi cover (Ateca, S3) would fit the Golfs

4 hours ago, AHG said:

I don’t think it changes as per dust, because 99% of the time the bonnet is closed so dust is not coming from above (only from below and sides)

But it does cover up this part so you can’t see whatever does on in there 🙂

I wonder if a Cupra or Audi cover (Ateca, S3) would fit the Golfs

Grime and dust collects on/in most exposed surfaces in the engine bay regardless of where it comes from and regardless the fact the bonnet is covering that area.  That’s why man invented Aerospace 303.  🙂

Agreed. Just saying that a second roof on top won’t protect from the wind coming from the sides … so, cover is mainly a “don’t get your hand burnt” device, and somewhat a place to hide a messy engine top.

12 minutes ago, AHG said:

Agreed. Just saying that a second roof on top won’t protect from the wind coming from the sides … so, cover is mainly a “don’t get your hand burnt” device, and somewhat a place to hide a messy engine top.

Yes I appreciate its real purpose is as you say to prevent scorched hands and digits.  My original comment about its ‘other’ purpose being a dust cover was a meant as a detailing joke - obviously lost in translation 😄 

Of course dirt will still make its way in, but I’d still bet that it’s cleaner beneath a cover than always exposed.  The 303 and detailing brush are ready and waiting! 

• 3 weeks later...

I just came back from the dealer. They updated all the software and removed the engine cover... it looks really bad under the hood now :( I really hope that they'll actually make a replacement and not just leave us without covers.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Apparently the startup nation

is first to receive the similar looking

yet slightly altered engine covers 

The only thing changed was the holes

where the ball-head studs come in

it was soft rubber in the previous one

and now they’ve put rigid inserts

(makes an audible click when installed)

Here is the old cover:

70F8F948-D3B4-48D4-AA78-AF917EE986C4.thumb.jpeg.2efa6c56bd49bc331e14b2528e5166c6.jpeg

You can see the stud holes are made

of the same soft rubber as the rest of it

1736C2D9-647F-4B31-9349-875C030F817C.thumb.jpeg.adc5c0822a5e9cc552a0d37145e6659e.jpeg

Here is the new cover

(looks the same, to the untrained eye):

2A61484A-2C76-485E-95E0-A3412C83D1B5.thumb.jpeg.f8ccea7b775079088b963aa7af8cf4b4.jpeg

you can see there are white inserts

made of rigid material (plastic, IMHO).

6B7527F5-E8E9-4FC6-AFC4-58D02B656E31.thumb.jpeg.0fa22ceb67850ed08494552cc91add77.jpeg