Time to Decide? - BMW 128 Ti

Hertsman

The time has come to decide on next change, have to press the buttons this week, and have done the diligence.

Presently have GTI TCR on lease, intention is to keep and replace the 2nd car.

The GTI TCR lease value was £38000 in 2019 and to replace that with a GTI Clubsport or Golf R with the options to like to for like with the TCR would make that lease value pushing into the mid £40,000 now, making an affordable lease not so affordable. 

So the plan was to look for a car a few more rungs down that has some driving pleasure but is lower in overall cost. 

A1 S Line Competition/Black Edition £31,000

Not test drove but sat in a couple now, and quality is nowhere near wife present A1, some cheap materials and its so minimalist its gone to point of sterile, Its obviously still a nice car, but really did not like it also, if that makes sense. 

Mini Cooper S Sport or John Cooper Works £30000/£33000

Really like the 2021 face lift and at prices above thats fully loaded. The complete opposite of the Audi, all buttons, knobs and features. So its a contender. 

Polo GTI 2022 £30000

There is a white one at Marshall VW Letchworth so had a good look over at weekend and it looks great, however, found the interior a little cheap in places (which is to be expected suppose coming from the Golf which is £10000 more) and no matter how much wanted to love it, given its overall looks, on that first contact, the interior left me feeling it was falling short. One thing to note and suppose a plus, the O/S is the same as the MK 7.5 and not the MK 8 

BMW 128ti £35500

Late entrant to this list as realised would only put £750 options on it as most of options not bothered about and managed to get inside a black one at weekend for an hour and really really liked it, massive lift in the interior to all others on the list and felt like my TCR in Sport setting, it was really lively and fun (obviously could not really push it, so in burst could do) and though you could feel the ride on a poor surface, it was not onerous at all (Better than the current A1 which has S Sline suspension) 

Cabin and tech is a really nice place to be and loved the seats, with the under leg extenders and the red stiching and Ti branding. 

The 128ti is now the car edging it, even though the usual temptation to push the brief has brought it into the frame, but given my allowance has gone up, the 128ti in white and on 18" wheels means its £2500 cheaper than the TCR lease value in 2019, so it would be the first change where after 3 years have gone backwards in value and not had to spend more just to stay even. 

The 128ti would do all the grunt miles and TCR would have an easier life, but can see this being my last company lease after next cycle (there is even redundancy whispers) and so keeping the TCR has an eye on it picking up the mantel a little further down the line when i really am unlikely to like any of the offerings out there as even more increased prices, the other car likely being an electric maybe? Who knows, 

Wife still has eye on one of the Mini though and so it will be one more look at Mini or BMW before press the buttons Friday and wait 6 + or plus more months (despite the lease company insisting car will be delivered in that time frame! would have money it does not, but we will see) 

Will let you all know which car choose, and if anyone has a 128ti be interested in ownership?

• Hertsman changed the title to Time to Decide? - BMW 128 Ti

That would be the one I would pick out of your shortlist. I know someone who has one and he loves it. Probably more fun than most of the others too. If I wanted a car that was a hoot to drive and relatively cheap, I’d have tested a Hyundai i30N too - much underrated car and can easily hold a candle to a GTi. Possibly lower quality interior but better driver’s car I think. Just don’t tell Volkswizard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, camelsac2002 said:

That would be the one I would pick out of your shortlist. I know someone who has one and he loves it. Probably more fun than most of the others too. If I wanted a car that was a hoot to drive and relatively cheap, I’d have tested a Hyundai i30N too - much underrated car and can easily hold a candle to a GTi. Possibly lower quality interior but better driver’s car I think. Just don’t tell Volkswizard.emoji23.png

I really like the Hyundai also, saw one in grey yesterday drive past in high street, smart looking car and some nice noises, despite the cheaper interior to Golfs, A3 (but likely not the new A1 or Polo as they really have gone down a notch from previous incarnations) 

The fuel economy and C02 is where it falls down compared to the 128 ti, which despite its 265 BHP does a bit of a magic trick in these areas compared to its peers, 

The BMW surprised me, thought it would be a £40,000 car as surely it was option bare and i would be ticking away at all the boxes down the list. However, Parking Assist £350 (Rear View Camera) and Lumbar Support £250 and one other cannot remember made it £750 in options only and just over £35000 when remove the on road prices from configuration. 

Strange times, would not normally keep the TCR, the second car has always been the lesser, but though it will obviously depreciate and cannot call it an investment, paying that bit more to keep it with an eye to future. Its likely a 10-15 year car and by then as will be looked after, be hopefully like the ED35 which really hold prices over and above standard models

I really like the Hyundai also, saw one in grey yesterday drive past in high street, smart looking car and some nice noises, despite the cheaper interior to Golfs, A3 (but likely not the new A1 or Polo as they really have gone down a notch from previous incarnations) 

The fuel economy and C02 is where it falls down compared to the 128 ti, which despite its 265 BHP does a bit of a magic trick in these areas compared to its peers, 

The BMW surprised me, thought it would be a £40,000 car as surely it was option bare and i would be ticking away at all the boxes down the list. However, Parking Assist £350 (Rear View Camera) and Lumbar Support £250 and one other cannot remember made it £750 in options only and just over £35000 when remove the on road prices from configuration. 

Strange times, would not normally keep the TCR, the second car has always been the lesser, but though it will obviously depreciate and cannot call it an investment, paying that bit more to keep it with an eye to future. Its likely a 10-15 year car and by then as will be looked after, be hopefully like the ED35 which really hold prices over and above standard models

BMWs are quite keenly priced. You can get a 230i with extras for under the crucial £40k barrier. On top of that, it comes with the excellent ZF 8 speed gearbox too.

How about a M135i? xdrive and more power. I see they are £38440 list so still room for a couple of options, and paint. (Puts the Golf 8R price to shame at £4K more!).

Good shout about the Hyundai @camelsac2002.

@JaseW on here recently sold his 8R and bought an i20N and loves it. Bit smaller, but might be worth a look. And will save you loads on list price.

Or even a Focus ST, also great fun to drive.

Seems many are my friends are ditching their company schemes due to high tax on the newer models and they are doing less miles as firms tighten their belts.

TCR will be a sought after car in years to come. I think quality on the MK8 in general has dipped so keeping the 7/7.5 platform can make sense. 

Re your choice I’d go 128TI in black or white. Nice rare model

M135 also option if in your budget. Much more quality inside if not as dynamic as the Hyundai.

How about a M135i? xdrive and more power. I see they are £38440 list so still room for a couple of options, and paint. (Puts the Golf 8R price to shame at £4K more!).

Good shout about the Hyundai [mention=19829]camelsac2002[/mention].
[mention=22424]JaseW[/mention] on here recently sold his 8R and bought an i20N and loves it. Bit smaller, but might be worth a look. And will save you loads on list price.

Or even a Focus ST, also great fun to drive.

I test drove a Focus ST back in 2015 with a view to buying an RS - hence why I bought my R! Interior build quality was shocking - recycled takeaway boxes sprung to mind!

10 minutes ago, camelsac2002 said:

Even more appealing to some with the DCT.

Might be even more appealing if/when they introduce a 4wd system too. They have one available and it's been tested/developed to work with the DCT 'box.  

Kia and Hyundai seem to be working on producing their joint effort EV6 GT and Ioniq 5 N models so I hope the ICE performance models aren't neglected  The next i30N iteration could be truly epic based on progress in the last few years! 

OT: Seen my first i20N last week, in Performance blue.  Looked really good IMO. 

I would absolutely not try to discourage you from a 128ti, as my F40 M135i is a great replacement for my 7.5R. But you might be slightly alarmed by the tales of woe on orders and deliveries on both BMW models from the Leipzig factory:

https://www.babybmw.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=113&t=122649

Indefinite delays, removal of options before and after the order is placed, is probably no worse than other makes, but it's best to be aware! Mine suffered only 2 months' delay last year and was almost exactly as ordered, but the situation seems to have got much worse.