Time to Decide? - BMW 128 Ti

Hertsman

Sadly the TCR is now going to have to be handed back at the end of the lease, as both daughters are now engaged and will now be getting married within 12 months of each other, the first next next September, so my indulgent funds for keeping the TCR on a whim will have to be rechanneled to better use, :) wish they told me earlier though as would have saved a lot of procrastinating!

Apparently the 128Ti is still on schedule for the October changeover (believe it when happens and only then) where hand the TCR back for auction.

The Audi A1 S line Black Edition only has 20,000 miles on it and drives like new, so that will be continuing its 2nd car tour of duty for a little while longer, 

Having been in MK 7/7.5 cabins for 9 years now must admit looking forward to being in a BMW cabin, and the seeing what the 128Ti has to offer in performance, and in comparison to the GTI which is what its pitched at, and once put some miles on it will do a comparison review. 

Feel quite ok about it, very excited for my daughters to have their day and think saved me from a little too much indulgence of having the TCR sit out there, having been bought at present inflated prices, and so depreciating more than normal while not doing much for 3 years, and as this last company car it will be open season on what choose when the BMW lease ends, maybe keep that if really like it? or maybe go scratch the RS3 itch, or even go back to VW and look for a TCR/R/Clubsport. 

I think you will be very happy with the 128Ti.

I looked at the M135 x drive before buying the Golf and it was IMHO a nicer place to be sat with a more up to date feel than the 7.5r although the 8 is probably the right car to compare it against but to me it still felt better than the 8 inside. 

Overall though i still felt the Golf had the slightly better gearbox and driving experience.

Very little in either car so hope it arrives on time and you give an update on your experience with it.

2 hours ago, MJC1216 said:

I think you will be very happy with the 128Ti.

I looked at the M135 x drive before buying the Golf and it was IMHO a nicer place to be sat with a more up to date feel than the 7.5r although the 8 is probably the right car to compare it against but to me it still felt better than the 8 inside. 

Overall though i still felt the Golf had the slightly better gearbox and driving experience.

Very little in either car so hope it arrives on time and you give an update on your experience with it.

Think you are right Mark, the 1 series was released in 2019 whereas the TCR is still pretty much the same cabin as the MK 7 release models of 2013, so the comparison is more present day, vs the MK 8 GTI. 

Have test driven 128Ti and impressions were really good, ride did not feel onerous, no different from TCR in Sport (which is 80-90% of time) and it was lively, with some really nice noises (even if to a degree, synthetic) and the 128Ti from what understand has had some re-engineering in terms of chassis and ride with some additional strengthening and plenty of carry overs from the 135i such as brakes. So, on the short time driving found it to be a really good place to be in the cabin, (ambient lighting is a nice added touch) loved the way the tech was set out and was so easily manipulated, and no feeling of any drop off in performance and ride that look for. 

Maybe losing a bit of the prestige of a run out GTI special edition in the TCR, but do feel replacing it with something more modern, with a far better cabin/tech set up, and that has its own differential in being quite unique for BMW, in a front wheel performance model with interior and exterior trim that demonstrates that. 

Style is obviously subjective, personally quite like the 1 series, especially the rear and as did for my R and TCR, stayed with the signature white, with the red trim and the 18" unique to the 128Ti wheels (and performance tyres) added the privacy glass as an option and think there is a nice contrast with the black gloss and the white. 

The real kicker for choosing, was the price, its so well specified with all need that only added a £1000 options, taking it to £35150, which when compare to GTI/R/Clubsport that would want with similar options, they are all over the £40,000. 

An example of this was comfort access at £550, which avoided, as BMW still has the start button! I disable Kessy now every time park the TCR, so by it being an option its done me a favour, use fob to access, press button to start, just as would want it :) 

Even had enough wiggle to try a heated steering wheel courtesy of Exonian and Booth who say would not live without it now. 

Obviously you do some diligence and even test drove this one, but none are substitute for doing the miles and living with the car, so will just do a few thousand miles when receive and report back and give honest review. 

So, sad time TCR is going (be nice pick up for someone when hits forecourt) but daughters getting married is something super excited about and it will be just bye TCR, welcome BMW sometime in October, and no looking back 

• 4 months later...

Decision Made :) 

The lease company were completely inflexible on the cost for the TCR and though it was cheaper than VW forecourts it was still going to be big chunk of cash for what in essence will be 2nd car for next 3 years, so we completely flipped on what would do, strange how that happens, you feel set and then it's the full 180 :) and TCR goes into the sunset on 6th Dec. 

So, plan B, was that the 2014 Audi A1 Black Edition 185BHP was sold and we now have a Golf GTI MK 6 2012 (Sept) Candy White, 3 Door, Glendale Wheels, 58,000 miles, new Tyres, from a dealer network, with 12-month direct warranty on major components, spending no real money to make the change.

Has a year-on-year VW History following the full schedule with last service, August at 57,000 miles, and has had zero notifications in its MOT history. 

If not know that car was ten years old, you would think just come off the forecourt new, it's been really well looked after by someone.

Being the second car, it will only average 2.500 > 3000 miles a year now, of which there will be enough runs to get car up to temperature, and we will keep up the full VW Service Schedule and can see us running indefinitely as modern a 'classic'

Used Carista to add needle sweep, front fog light cornering and the digital speedo, and the scan brought up zero faults, which was comforting, and again speaks to maintenance through its life.

Having abandoned the TCR for last 3 days and found myself asking why we spend so much money on the new and the latest as the 3door-Candy White-Glendale is a really pleasing combination, and given this is my first experience of the MK 6, was surprised how hard it pulls, and is super smooth in doing so, both in acceleration and ride, even on the 19" Glendale, and felt completely rock solid in the hand, not hint of movement, with such a lovely chunky steering wheel. 

You would never know there was 80BHP and 7 years between the MK6 GTI and the MK7.5 GTI TCR, unless imagine pushing the extremities, on my normal roads, there is no real chasm in experience you would expect, it's just fun and engaging, and car received quite a few looks, 

There is argument that even prefer, as cabin feels more solid, and surrounding, and realised how much missed dials, the MK6 GTI dials are big and bright and pleasing on eye, the nighttime cabin is really nice place to be, returning to the TCR, the drive screen is obviously highly capable and customisable, but felt sterile in comparison.

Obviously, there is some convenience options trade off, there is no folding mirrors, and the xenon would have been nice, but the RNS510 is decent media, as good as my Golfs prior to the MK7.5 facelift, with Bluetooth connecting readily, and with usable navigation and also love the heated leather seats, with the electric lumbar, and again in great condition, no marks or any real sagging and the rears are seemingly untouched. 

The 128Ti arrives 6th December, so main car will have all the bells and whistles options, but now been driving the MK 6 GTI for a week or so, think we made a really good decision of not chasing the TCR and feeling just as good about its replacement and with daughter's wedding coming up next year the £16000, we did not spend reaching for the TCR looks nice in the bank 

5177-AA92-2923-419-B-9-A79-28-C484-E1-AC

3938-DF45-7084-4-DAD-9-A1-B-0-B685-C4-C7

D26547-C3-DF29-40-FD-9-A72-567-C4-B460-A

• 1 month later...

Sadly, my other car is now a 128Ti and that's not a knock on the 128Ti as already love the interior and the media system is something else, but the outgoing GTI TCR was something else also, and so sad to see it go, 😢

First drive impressions of the 128Ti are that the cabin experience is high, love the seats and the leg support extensions and as mentioned above, the media interaction is excellent, it's a nice place to sit, first drive impressions are that it feels like a car with 8 miles on it, was so used to the lightness and being able to flip it around to where was pointing it, that there is what imagine an initial stiffness to the 128Ti and having been in MK 7 Golfs for 9 years, having to get used to the driving position, feel less over the front wheels, but ride is very smooth, (between normal and comfort on TCR would say)  and delivery is seamless, but can think tell the difference between DSG and the 8 speed auto, as DSG feels like there are gears changing, this feels more linear, as if climbing through gears if that's a good description?  but going to be really hard to make any comparison till reach that 1000-mile mark, but in the reeled back acceleration that have done out of a junction, there is plenty of pull. 

It's not quite the looker the GTI TCR was, but quite like it in its signature guise, you can at least tell its different to other 1 series out there, and really like the signature wheels and brake discs and calipers, so it's not quite the feeling of walking up to the TCR, but feel good about it, and look forward to driving it, which is a relief if honest

Will come back once been really able to drive it and give thoughts on how stacks up as BMW stab at a GTI. 

04-ABB27-A-4287-467-B-806-A-19-A07-CF447

1-F66-A87-C-BB7-F-4-F57-87-C6-48-D04-AC4

6-C11783-C-1298-41-C3-931-F-1-B94870-F22

92513151-0550-4-D49-AC73-DE7-E6-CD0-EA90

AA1-B40-A5-AE91-4001-BB92-29-DAC3-D98571

B1-D64885-1954-422-C-8-E35-2-CBD750-D907

D3-A90372-0-F3-B-4-FE7-B28-D-CD176-D7-A2

Congratulations on your new car @Hertsman!  

Looks great in that signature combination, quite a head turner (and that’s coming from someone who finds it hard to like the looks of a BMW 🤭 😄) with the red accents which tie together great with the red callipers. 

I hope it proves to be a worthy successor to your much loved TCR (sad to see it go) and you thoroughly enjoy the change.  

Look forward to hearing more about it as you you get some miles on and can make a comparison as well as assessing the 128Ti in its own right.  

On 22/12/2022 at 16:54, BenEssex1989 said:

My partner has a g20 330e. The current gen of bmw have nailed it with the interiors and build quality.

+1 to that. The iX3 interior layout and quality is outstanding and easily the best I've experienced. I had a 2014 F30 330D and although it might not look like it from a picture, the jump in quality is huge.

I do really like that 1 series though @Hertsman. I'm sure you'll grow to love it even more once you get to fully open it up. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/04/2022 at 12:18, DB9 said:

Good choice, both keeping the TCR and ordering the 128ti. Very nice duo you will have.

128ti drives very well, slightly firmer ride than my CS45 with DCC, but certainly something you can live with. 

76A78BC8-3E52-450E-BCD1-D46AA068BB28.jpeg

Still familiarising, just clocked 500 miles, but been pleasantly surprised by the ride, very smooth and compliant and though still nursing the 1000 mile run in, only thing noticed was it was a little jiggly on the lesser surfaces, but so was the TCR so all in, its pretty comparable in ride, much like normal for the GTI TCR

Has taken some getting used to after 9 years in MK 7 Golfs, the driving position, and all that surrounds me feels obviously different and still getting used to the handling and dimensions, but the interior is a really nice place to be, and the media O/S, integration and manipulation is superb, love the jog dial, and the plethora of standard and creatable short cuts, everything need is at press of a button. Particularly appreciate the wireless Car Play. 

Despite being reined in, can feel the performance and agility is there to go, so looking forward to when can take off leash 

6 hours ago, Hertsman said:

Still familiarising, just clocked 500 miles, but been pleasantly surprised by the ride, very smooth and compliant and though still nursing the 1000 mile run in, only thing noticed was it was a little jiggly on the lesser surfaces, but so was the TCR so all in, its pretty comparable in ride, much like normal for the GTI TCR

Has taken some getting used to after 9 years in MK 7 Golfs, the driving position, and all that surrounds me feels obviously different and still getting used to the handling and dimensions, but the interior is a really nice place to be, and the media O/S, integration and manipulation is superb, love the jog dial, and the plethora of standard and creatable short cuts, everything need is at press of a button. Particularly appreciate the wireless Car Play. 

Despite being reined in, can feel the performance and agility is there to go, so looking forward to when can take off leash 

Glad to hear you’re getting along with your new BMW @Hertsman even if taking it easy in these early miles.  Hopefully it’ll soon feel like home for you.  

BTW you had two threads on the 128ti in different sections so I’ve combined them both into this thread, as it’s in the most appropriate sub board.  

9 minutes ago, dopper99 said:

Now you're making us 8R owners jealous. 🤣

Speak for yourself Andy.  I love the 8R interface.  :smiley:

13 hours ago, Booth11 said:

Glad to hear you’re getting along with your new BMW @Hertsman even if taking it easy in these early miles.  Hopefully it’ll soon feel like home for you.  

BTW you had two threads on the 128ti in different sections so I’ve combined them both into this thread, as it’s in the most appropriate sub board.  

Speak for yourself Andy.  I love the 8R interface.  :smiley:

Thanks Becca, 🙂 makes sense 👍

Having seen an 8 R up close at dealer while waiting for the TCR to have last service last year, can say that really like it, but this was the bells and whistles version, and that would be the one that wanted typically as the standard 8R did pale in comparison. 

The one thing VW could do from the BMW and to find the happy medium is to just provide a row of buttons, which can be haptic and so discreet and integrated, as shortcuts to essentials in the O/S, would take nothing away from the cabin minimilisation but hugely lift the tech interaction. 

The BMW relies a lot on its O/S, so VW are doing nothing different, its just the interaction that needs to be more user friendly, eyes are on the road.

Having said all that, the BMW is now no different to all the previous cars, now past the initial tweaking and fiddling, think the only interaction made on last journey was to turn the volume down as ordered a coffee at a drive through, so can see why for those who have not had actual software issues, the software and interaction is not really an issue.

Going to push past that 1000 mile mark now and really get self familiarised 👍

2 hours ago, Hertsman said:

Thanks Becca, 🙂 makes sense 👍

Having seen an 8 R up close at dealer while waiting for the TCR to have last service last year, can say that really like it, but this was the bells and whistles version, and that would be the one that wanted typically as the standard 8R did pale in comparison. 

The one thing VW could do from the BMW and to find the happy medium is to just provide a row of buttons, which can be haptic and so discreet and integrated, as shortcuts to essentials in the O/S, would take nothing away from the cabin minimilisation but hugely lift the tech interaction. 

The BMW relies a lot on its O/S, so VW are doing nothing different, its just the interaction that needs to be more user friendly, eyes are on the road.

Having said all that, the BMW is now no different to all the previous cars, now past the initial tweaking and fiddling, think the only interaction made on last journey was to turn the volume down as ordered a coffee at a drive through, so can see why for those who have not had actual software issues, the software and interaction is not really an issue.

Going to push past that 1000 mile mark now and really get self familiarised 👍

Bells and whistles is the way to go with the 8R!  😄  For me it was anyway, and I’d spec it exactly the same if I was ordering again.   I know what you mean, especially Co,img from a car that had all the stuff you want.  

I’m sure the majority would love a combination of buttons and touchscreen in the next interaction of the R, so I completely get that.  For me I really do prefer to keep it with the current setup perhaps with the predicted forthcoming illumination of the centre haptics which was a total bizarre oversight, although even then once you know where they are, it’s not hard to aim accurately, but definitely something they should have had from the outset.  I would be disappointed to see the old style buttons return to the steering wheel but again, I think I’m in a minority there.  Time will tell.  

But enough of VWs, it sounds like you’re enjoying the upgrade of a quality BMW interior and their well thought out interface.  Hopefully once you’ve got through the early mikes you’ll be able to really get to know the drive and put it through its paces, and see how it stacks up both on its own merits, and against your much loved TCR.  

The BMW shortcut buttons are excellent, I'm really surprised other manufacturers haven't adopted something similar.  Not only can they be used to call a number or navigate to a regularly used destination they can be used as a shortcut to pretty much any submenu including selecting a function.  It's the same with the iDrive controller, it works so well (and I'd been using it for 10 years in various BMWs) I never once used the touchscreen on my 7 series. 

The best solution in my experience is a really good voice control system as you don't need to take your eyes off the road or know what submenu to access.   It takes some time to think about using that first, but when you do it's so quick and easy.  The problem is, most voice control systems aren't great and don't always get it right first time which is frustrating.  I've had to unlearn that in my current car, as it doesn't work well at all.  No shortcut buttons either, but 2 x touchscreens and touch (but not haptic) 'areas' on the steering wheel.  It took me 2 years to realise I can swipe across the volume control on the steering wheel to increase/decrease the volume....