New Car Review - 2022 BMW X3 M40d

EcosseGolfR

Just thought I’d put together a first impressions review on my Golf R replacement, 2022 BMW X3 M40d.

Engine

• 3 litre, Straight 6 cylinder. Diesel.
  • Power - 340 PS.
  • Torque - 700 Nm.

As I’m still doing my break in miles (1200 miles), I haven’t had the opportunity to really open up the taps but what I can say is that it’s got torque in abundance, in fact it’s got oodles of it, the 700 Nm is available down low in the rev range, which is what I prefer…as long as you change gear at around 4000 revs it’s a machine.

Its a bit of a beast IMO, it overtakes effortlessly, doesn’t sound as nice as my R with the Remus exhaust but the active sound makes up for that inside the cabin.

The mpg is still being assessed but so far I’m getting around 35mpg in the city, I assume the long journeys will do a lot better than that, especially after it’s been broken in.

I did fill it up with premium diesel, £114 to fill it….nearly choked in my Cocopops.

Technology 

• Its fully loaded. Apart for Apple CarPlay which I will get a future over the air update for.
  • Adaptive cruise.
  • Acoustic Glass, basically double glazing for a car. It’s so quiet inside.
  • Adaptive suspension, never had a car with that before and you need it for the M40d as the ride can be a tad hard if in sport, so I leave it in comfort.
  • Comfort access and locking. Basically KESSY.
  • HUD, why all cars don’t come with this is beyond me?
  • Over the air updates and upgrades.
  • LED adaptive headlights, you don’t need the lasers.
  • Brakes, still bedding them in but feel good so far. Not as good as the R though.
  • Parking assist, totally remarkable, and hats off to those engineers who can make a car park itself and reverse back 200ft along the road with no input from the driver, great when on single track roads.
  • 360 degree cameras with recording.
  • Harmon Kardon sound, very impressive.

Build Quality 

• Exceptional.
  • Seats are really good, heated with lumbar support. Great for old blokes like me.

Handling & Ride Comfort 

• The ride is ok in comfort but in sport or sport plus it’s a tad firm for my liking.
  • As for the handling, well it’s no match for the Golf R in the corners. Don’t get me wrong, put it into sport and it handles well enough, just no where near an R. Perhaps blame the 21” wheels for that, may drop down to 20”.

Value for Money

• Its a great SUV with not many negatives but for the price I paid for it new, it should have been £10k less.

Overall

I love the looks, the Brooklyn Grey with the shadowline black makes the car. I’ve added on an AutoID front splitter and replaced all the silver badging to gloss black.

I may have to lower the car a bit but I’ll decide on that later, perhaps KW V3 coilovers or MSS adjustable springs.

Its a serious car, with practicality, not as good as my R but pretty dam close.

B5AE7DE8-F903-4D5A-A93A-DBFCF02682A8.jpeg

478CEDC1-B0F9-469F-8DF9-4D2473DEAB65.jpeg

F9D2BAF3-43FB-42FA-BD9D-24C91984F0F0.jpeg

2AD9B226-C744-44DD-AA31-4032B59C8CF3.jpeg

EF9ED17F-91D2-4832-96B3-FEAEDBAB4808.jpeg

5D9BA151-C455-4103-94EE-66D2B1ECA122.jpeg

Good review!   I bought a new 535d Touring in 2014 and ran it for 3.5 years and over 100k miles, the BMW straight 6 is a great engine and one for any diesel haters to try.

You're right about lasers vs adaptive LED, I replaced the 5 with a 750i and specced lasers and in just over 2 years / 50k miles I could probably count on 2 hands the times the laser light kicked in.  When they did it really was turning night into day and a big step up from main beam, but not worth the extra cost. 

I wouldn't bother with premium diesel, I've tried it over several tanks (in a row) and not noticed any difference to performance or economy, in both my 535d and current 4.4 V8. 

Thanks for posting the review.

Can I ask how much you paid for it, or even the list price with the extras you have, as this is a major factor when upgrading cars. Also, how heavy is it as new cars seem to be getting very porky in recent years?

Agree with premium diesel, not worth the 'subjective' benefits that shell claim.

I ran a 3.0d A5 with 310hp and 660Nm and managed to average about 35mpg over a year of ownership - I average 32mpg in the R so not the big difference people might imagine by buying a performance diesel.

My Dad has a 630d and has averaged well into the 40s and can get 50mpg on the motorway.

I've had a look back and over 106k mile, my 535d averaged 38.7mpg (39.8mpg on the OBC) with a best tank of 47.4mpg over 711 miles (the range was always 550 miles+).  A lot better than the 28.7mpg I've averaged over the last 25k miles in my current car, but it is a lot heavier and has the engine is 50% bigger. 

This is the worst part of owning a diesel, you talk about mpg, bit like having an electric car and always talking about range! 😂

1 hour ago, golf7.5r said:

Thanks for posting the review.

Can I ask how much you paid for it, or even the list price with the extras you have, as this is a major factor when upgrading cars. Also, how heavy is it as new cars seem to be getting very porky in recent years?

Agree with premium diesel, not worth the 'subjective' benefits that shell claim.

I ran a 3.0d A5 with 310hp and 660Nm and managed to average about 35mpg over a year of ownership - I average 32mpg in the R so not the big difference people might imagine by buying a performance diesel.

The list price was circa £65,000 but I got a decent discount. As for the specs, it’s pretty much fully loaded. See below.

I didn’t really purchase it for the mpg although I knew it would be good for a big beast like an SUV….it was the low down torque that I was interested in 😃and easy access / egress for my not so great bad back.

446074A6-9AE7-49FD-95EF-E16378274CF7.jpeg

239ACCB1-68B6-4D9C-AB81-AAB2AEDAF569.jpeg

BMW make some of the best 6 pot engines diesel engines. I had a 335d xdrive a few years back and only really got it for the effortless torque rather than fuel consumption.

I bought an M3 after the 335d and although the M3 was a much faster car - only when revved hard. Pootling down the motorway in the 335d, if you need to overtake you just need a slight flex of the right foot. In the M3, it was drop 3 or 4 gears and floor it. Too much unnecessary drama and noise (M3 exhaust sound isn't the best) just to overtake.

If you tried to floor the M3 in 7th, it just wouldn't go, unlike like the 335d.

20 hours ago, dopper99 said:

BMW make some of the best 6 pot engines diesel engines. I had a 335d xdrive a few years back and only really got it for the effortless torque rather than fuel consumption.

I bought an M3 after the 335d and although the M3 was a much faster car - only when revved hard. Pootling down the motorway in the 335d, if you need to overtake you just need a slight flex of the right foot. In the M3, it was drop 3 or 4 gears and floor it. Too much unnecessary drama and noise (M3 exhaust sound isn't the best) just to overtake.

Pretty much how I feel about that engine in my 330D. Absolutely loved everything about it except the tractor sounds when you started it up. It just felt so smooth and effortless and the only drama was the sound of the intake gulping air. The only reason I got rid of it was because of moving too close to work for it to ever heat up on my commute. 

One thing that helps is that unlike many manufacturers, they still use a straight six engine instead of a V6 so the engines are much smoother. I had a V6 engined car years ago and whilst technology has, no doubt changed, it’s not as smooth as the straight six in my current car.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, camelsac2002 said:

One thing that helps is that unlike many manufacturers, they still use a straight six engine instead of a V6 so the engines are much smoother. I had a V6 engined car years ago and whilst technology has, no doubt changed, it’s not as smooth as the straight six in my current car.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yep, I can confirm the V6 in the C43 isn't as smooth as the BMW straight 6. It does however make a very nice growl.

1 minute ago, EcosseGolfR said:

I thought it was down to the ZF 8 speed gearbox but I’m obviously wrong. Like you said it’s super smooth, probably better than the 7 speed DQ381 which I found as a little jerky in the lower gears when pulling away from a junction.

The ZF 8 speed is still the best gearbox I've ever experienced. The DSG in the Golf was very nice, but as we all know can be a little jerky when maneuvering, The Merc gearbox I have now is good also, but it can be a bit jerky in traffic, especially when cold. Would very much like to find myself back with a ZF at some point. 

27 minutes ago, tweaked9107 said:

The ZF 8 speed is still the best gearbox I've ever experienced. The DSG in the Golf was very nice, but as we all know can be a little jerky when maneuvering, The Merc gearbox I have now is good also, but it can be a bit jerky in traffic, especially when cold. Would very much like to find myself back with a ZF at some point. 

The ZF is one of the very best gearboxes I’ve tried and it’s better the bigger the engine it’s paired with.  I’ve experience it in a hire car attached to a 20d and it was so much better hooked up to my 4.4 petrol V8, the the 535d somewhere in the middle.  It’s quite different in my current car (also a 4.4 V8 but a torquier diesel), very smooth changes indeed, but not that sharp, even in dynamic mode.   Goes with the car I guess.

The best gearbox I’ve experienced is the Porsche PDK, it’s like it’s wired into you, how it knows exactly when to change (different if you’re cruising or pressing in) and does it so quickly I don’t know.   I’m thinking about getting a 911 and despite how great the Porsche manual gearbox can be (we had one on a Boxster which was great), it would have to be PDK.  Which I know gets sneered at by keyboard warriors, but I wonder how many of them have actually tried one….