MK 7.5 R pre-opf/ppf/wltp vs post opf/ppf/wltp

Hello all!

Considering buying a used approved Mk7.5 Golf R. Would like some guidance please if you think the 17/18 plate or 19+ is better to get. 

How are your experiences in terms of performance & sound, is there that much difference between pre opf/ppf/wltp or post - whatever you want to call it - ppf? 

Thinking of getting a mk7.5 2017 with 24k miles, Vienna leather, rear cam, 19 prets for £28.5k, used approved from vw. Does that sound reasonable or do you think I should wait it out get something cheaper and stick replica prets on them?

Any guidance would be appreciated!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

An S3 is a fine car. Posher badge, image (?).  Very similar to an R under the skin.  Nowt really in it.  R is considered nicer to drive tho, handles a bit more keenly.  But little in it.  Go S3 if i

have you not seen what the prices have done over the last 2 years ?!     

2017 was the full fat version (310 ps), so if condition good, car history is okay, no issues and you’re getting a warranty in today’s market that seems a reasonable price (too high normally but these

2017 was the full fat version (310 ps), so if condition good, car history is okay, no issues and you’re getting a warranty in today’s market that seems a reasonable price (too high normally but these are not normal times)

Check that haldex has been serviced and filter cleaned, if not get it done - see separate threads on this elsewhere

If you’re happy with the deal go for it

My view only.
The 310 was the  pinnacle.    Apparently easier to tune.  More and easier Exhaust options.  Easier to make the 310 LOUD.  ASBO style, if that’s you. 
I ordered 310. Got a 300 OPF.  
A LOVELY CAR. 

A slight difference in performance, but nothing you’d really notice or miss in everyday usage.  Easy tuned to next level performance. 
If your not tuning.  Staying standard.  You can extend warranty and service with VW at v. nice rates.   Cheaper long term costs. 
Any you buy. Don’t think you’ll be disappointed.   Full history needed.  Safer buying from VW with warranty.  Engine, turbo, or gearbox failure and replacement costs will likely have you in tears. 
Get one you like - colour, options.  Drive and keep. You’ll be happy.
 19” Wheels dear to replace.  Can be troublesome, even if gorgeous. Loads of fantastic, seductive light, strong aftermarket wheels for lots less than factory jobs.  Loads & loads. 
But if you yearn for Pretorias, I’d forgive you. 😉  

Good luck with your search. 

If you intend keeping the car long term then (excluding US Cars) the pre-PPF Rs had port fuel injection as well as direct injection.  The theory is that these earlier cars had less problems with carbon build-up in the intake than the PPF versions.

Definitely buy the VW extended warranty if staying stock, it might save you some serious repair costs.

I bought a June 2018 7.5 R wagon last March  with 20k on the clock from a Vw dealer,  one of the last of the 310 cars I guess.

It went stg1 in the following May with an intake 

August the dsg micro switch was replaced under warranty with no quibble.

September it had a DSG TCU map

then this Jan it went stg2.

I love it, drive it as a daily, to the tip, the supermarket & it does everything well.

Have a 2017 model - one of the first 7.5 ones.

Tbh for the performance its a bargain in terms of running costs etc - they do need looking after, haldex done etc.

Mines on 39k miles now - coming up to 5 years old. I look at replacing it (c43 =, M340i) but currently can't see the point.

Would like to tune, but I do find 310ps fine tbh. I j=have no toys on mine apart from standard spec and tbh theres not much I would add, I do think about updating the speakers for a better sound in the car, and wouldn't mind disabling the annoying subaru noise but I haven't bought the odb 11 thing yet, so doubt I ever will.

As others have said, taken it to the dump full, been to germany and back, taking it on many family holidays - can't fault it o far, ebven the mpg is not bad for the performance (always use momentum / esso supreme - occasionally sainsburys ultimate if not near any 99 ron).

I wanted a 17/18 plate car for the simple fact of less to go wrong with regards opf etc , also from my research they dropped the 2nd set of injectors that clean the intake from late 2018 . Have a Google of USA cars having issue due to not having these 2nd set of injectors. Maybe it’s less of a problem than the internet makes out ( usually is ) but given the choice I’d go fit a 17/18 plate with 310 ps . 

And for reference … that price from VW is where the market is ( and will be for some time I think ) 

I paid 28k for …. 

17 plate 

16k miles 

pan roof 

dsg 

prets 

rev cam 

blind spot 

acc 

pro nav 

dyn 

From an independent and then bought the ‘all in’ from vw ( effectively same as used approved but with the added benefit of 2 services as well ) 

Thank for all your responses folks!

I'm nealy there with purchasing the golf r 17 plate, but I did spot an audi s3 black edition 18 plate for £28k with 18k miles, virtual cockpit, super sports seats, b&o sound. Its the same price as the golf r im looking at, a year newer, and now I'm confused as what to go for! The audi will hold its value in a few years compared to the golf r imo so im unsure, any thoughts??

58 minutes ago, Grr said:

The audi will hold its value in a few years compared to the golf r imo so im unsure, any thoughts??

An S3 is a fine car. Posher badge, image (?).  Very similar to an R under the skin.  Nowt really in it.  R is considered nicer to drive tho, handles a bit more keenly.  But little in it. 
Go S3 if it floats your boat. Many would. 
But. If you fancy an R, and you’ll not get many arguments on here - use the S3 as a bargaining tool for a sharper deal on the R?   Whatever you decide in the end, either car will be a sound ownership item, imho. 

On 06/05/2022 at 18:30, Grr said:

Hello all!

Considering buying a used approved Mk7.5 Golf R. Would like some guidance please if you think the 17/18 plate or 19+ is better to get. 

How are your experiences in terms of performance & sound, is there that much difference between pre opf/ppf/wltp or post - whatever you want to call it - ppf? 

Thinking of getting a mk7.5 2017 with 24k miles, Vienna leather, rear cam, 19 prets for £28.5k, used approved from vw. Does that sound reasonable or do you think I should wait it out get something cheaper and stick replica prets on them?

Any guidance would be appreciated!

I'd say thats pretty steep for a 2017. Just looking on VW approved used and you can get a 2017 with 13.5K miles for £23699.

https://usedcars.volkswagen.co.uk/en/used-cars/volkswagen/golf-hatchback/20-tsi-310-r-5dr-4motion-tdcvu5t

I know it looks like a bogo spec but the one you've seen is £5K more for leather a rear camera and prets. 🙄 You could put replica Prets on the cheap one and still save a lot of money.

I would want every toy going for £28.5K on a 2017 plate! I'd shop around a bit more.

Also with regards your other questions, I think I lot of these have already been answered in your other own thread a couple of weeks ago!

https://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/41506-help-buying-new-golf-r/

On 07/05/2022 at 23:05, Grr said:

Thank for all your responses folks!

I'm nealy there with purchasing the golf r 17 plate, but I did spot an audi s3 black edition 18 plate for £28k with 18k miles, virtual cockpit, super sports seats, b&o sound. Its the same price as the golf r im looking at, a year newer, and now I'm confused as what to go for! The audi will hold its value in a few years compared to the golf r imo so im unsure, any thoughts??

That's because the 2017 R is overpriced! Shop around for a cheaper better spec'd R, then you won't be so confused as to which car to go for. 😉 

Just to add the R comes with nice options as standard such as active cruise control and electric folding mirrors. I'll echo about what others say shop around and the options you should be paying premium for is panoramic roof and DCC. Those two options are near impossible to retrofit everything else can be retrofitted inc some mk8 r stuff.  

2 hours ago, dopper99 said:

I'd say thats pretty steep for a 2017. Just looking on VW approved used and you can get a 2017 with 13.5K miles for £23699.

https://usedcars.volkswagen.co.uk/en/used-cars/volkswagen/golf-hatchback/20-tsi-310-r-5dr-4motion-tdcvu5t

I know it looks like a bogo spec but the one you've seen is £5K more for leather a rear camera and prets. 🙄 You could put replica Prets on the cheap one and still save a lot of money.

I would want every toy going for £28.5K on a 2017 plate! I'd shop around a bit more.

Also with regards your other questions, I think I lot of these have already been answered in your other own thread a couple of weeks ago!

https://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/41506-help-buying-new-golf-r/

I do think its quite steep, but the prets and rest of the car, with 1 owner as well, is in immaculate condition, no scratches on the prets. I thought the leather and reverse cam is quite hard to find on the 17/18. Prets i could get replicas. 

The link you sent was for a manual, but the dsg is around 25k for similar miles but in white - I want black, blue or grey. I did think it was steep but thought the extra 3k was coming from the condition of the car, the leather, the prets and the reverse cam.

Just in that stuck phase of do I go for this or wait and see what else comes around the corner...