Are summer tyres safe in winter?

Do some of you use all seasons tyres and if so which ones?

I’m in the process of changing tyres for my 19’ pretorias and I’d like the quietest tyres I can get

considering the hankook Ventus evo 2, the Dunlop super sport maxx RT, the Avon ZV7

but they are all summer tyres…

any good all-season quiet ones for 19 inch wheels?

thanks 

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Whilst it’s not all about snow to reap the the benefits and value of winter tyres, low temps and wet greasy roads come into the equation too, I do think that location can be a big factor.  I live in t

I must say -  there’s a case to argue for All Season tyres (like Cross climate 2) as your year round set of tyres.  You get winter performance that will do for much of the UK, better braking, traction

Winter tyres are pointless. You’re only going to get stuck behind other people on summer tyres.   I can understand them if you were the only person on the road but there are not many places

My view only here @Pisquano

In UK You are not legally required to fit Winter Tyres or even All Season tyres,despite the benefits they bring. 

Think carefully before you proceed here mate.   

Where do you live. How much snow, ice do you get?  Do you have to drive in the worst of weather?  Do you have to drive in areas where snow,ice etc are a big factor?  Usually temps below 7 degrees and 3 degrees warrant attention, as below these the wet road performance of summer tyres takes a dive. Watch some Tyrereviews vids on YT. 

Be aware, Most of the Uk population drives on Summer tyres all year round.  So if you have some that are quiet enough for you……

All Seasons like the Michelin Crossclimate 2 will fulfill year round travel for nearly all.  Not the ultimate grip of summers, but excellent all round grip, braking wet dry or whatever.  There seems little comment on their silence or otherwise.

Winter tyres on an R will ensure it is ground clearance issues, impassable depths of snow that stop your journey, or closed/ blocked roads. 

A set of All Season or Winter tyres is a big buy. £600 -£700 or more.   

Get if you need / can afford.  

Ps. Winter Tyres do make a night/day difference in snow.   We ain’t had much in recent years tho.   

Buy wisely. 😀

7 hours ago, NRW said:

My view only here @Pisquano

In UK You are not legally required to fit Winter Tyres or even All Season tyres,despite the benefits they bring. 

Think carefully before you proceed here mate.   

Where do you live. How much snow, ice do you get?  Do you have to drive in the worst of weather?  Do you have to drive in areas where snow,ice etc are a big factor?  Usually temps below 7 degrees and 3 degrees warrant attention, as below these the wet road performance of summer tyres takes a dive. Watch some Tyrereviews vids on YT. 

Be aware, Most of the Uk population drives on Summer tyres all year round.  So if you have some that are quiet enough for you……

All Seasons like the Michelin Crossclimate 2 will fulfill year round travel for nearly all.  Not the ultimate grip of summers, but excellent all round grip, braking wet dry or whatever.  There seems little comment on their silence or otherwise.

Winter tyres on an R will ensure it is ground clearance issues, impassable depths of snow that stop your journey, or closed/ blocked roads. 

A set of All Season or Winter tyres is a big buy. £600 -£700 or more.   

Get if you need / can afford.  

Ps. Winter Tyres do make a night/day difference in snow.   We ain’t had much in recent years tho.   

Buy wisely. 😀

Thanks for this long and interesting post. Really appreciate it. 

I live in london and rarely venture to any location with snow. In the past I always had summer tires but was wondering what the general advice was

snow in london is as rare as hens teeth but one time I had a Mini Cooper s on summer tyres and I still remember on a rare snowfall it became totally undriveable to the point I stopped the car. But it was one of the 2 times I saw snow in london in the last 17 years

Whilst it’s not all about snow to reap the the benefits and value of winter tyres, low temps and wet greasy roads come into the equation too, I do think that location can be a big factor.  I live in the far part of east Kent (50 miles south east of London),where we seem to miss extremes of winter weather (bar the odd occasion over the last 30 years) and I’ve never felt the need to run a set of winter tyres or winter wheels.  I’ve no doubt that I’d still get value from them but all things considered taking into account cost etc, to me it’s simply not really worth the change for a few months.  So I run summer tyres year round, on 19” wheels, and have never had any issues at all and nothing to make me think the switch would be of huge benefit in my location.  I use the car year round, including daily for work site visits in all weathers and always a early winter trip up north too. Over the last few performance Golfs I’ve run 19 wheels year round on the following summer tyres - Conti Sport Contact 6Ps; Michelin PS4S and now on Goodyear F1 Supersports and all have performed well enough through winter conditions (including snow) that a change to winter tyres has not been prompted.   

I'm in the same area and we get snow for about a week (if that) so it's just not worth bothering with winter tyres. I've only ever needed them once, on an old GTi with dsg i was carefully going round a corner and the dsg box decided to change gear just as I started going down hill and I slid and thought I was heading into a brick wall. I stopped with about an inch to spare 

I must say -  there’s a case to argue for All Season tyres (like Cross climate 2) as your year round set of tyres.  You get winter performance that will do for much of the UK, better braking, traction in cold, damp, greasy conditions and still ?acceptable summer performance.   In many cars and for many drivers but maybe not for those with an R. 

Best compromise for those with seldom or light  snow Cc2 for 7 months and Summers for 5?  
But I’ve watched too much YT on this.😂

All Seasons as standard fit on new cars could bring benefits to many tho!