Hi guys, stuck between getting a mk7.5 outright with prets for around 28k. Or leasing a mk8 9+23 10k miles for 370pm. I only intend to keep it 2 years either way, just no sure which one to do!

The mk8 will be black with standard spec, whereas the mk7.5 will be pre opf and with prets, but the mk8 is faster! Not sure how the sound compares in the stock exhaust.

What are your thoughts, mk7.5 outright or mk8 lease?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You guys have clearly worked long and hard to get where you are at , I applaud you 💪🏼    as has been mentioned , we live in different times now where social media puts huge pressure on younger

A ramble from me. I totally understand the PCP route to getting behind the wheel of a new, decent car which would otherwise be unobtainable any time soon.   And folk want what they want now, or s

but unfortunately for most that’s just not an option ….. I’d much rather have a slightly older car and own it , than a brand new one and lease it . A slippery slope once in that cycle I suspect , only

30 minutes ago, Grr said:

Hi guys, stuck between getting a mk7.5 outright with prets for around 28k. Or leasing a mk8 9+23 10k miles for 370pm. I only intend to keep it 2 years either way, just no sure which one to do!

The mk8 will be black with standard spec, whereas the mk7.5 will be pre opf and with prets, but the mk8 is faster! Not sure how the sound compares in the stock exhaust.

What are your thoughts, mk7.5 outright or mk8 lease?

might as well get the mk8 if you like it. I wouldn’t spend 28k on an old model unless keeping it for a lot longer than two years.

Yeah they're saying December, but realistically will be March imo, but maybe because its a basic spec with no packs it'll come December? Happy to wait a little but just unsure if I'm paying too much for the lease 

If you don’t mind the wait, I’d go mk8R.  Software issues hopefully in a healthier position by then, and it’s a better driving car than the 7/7.5.  I buy outright so best get a view in the lease deal from those that have experience in that area.  

Difficult one that ….I haven’t lease /  pcp any car , for the simply fact I like to own my car , and if I come on hard times I know there’s a bit of my money I can release from the car if needed …. But saying that if you only need / want the car for 2 years dare I say it you’d probably be pretty much the same in depreciation on the 7.5 in those 2 years than the £370 for the new car . 

On 16/05/2022 at 11:08, Bodyboarder81 said:

Difficult one that ….I haven’t lease /  pcp any car , for the simply fact I like to own my car , and if I come on hard times I know there’s a bit of my money I can release from the car if needed …. But saying that if you only need / want the car for 2 years dare I say it you’d probably be pretty much the same in depreciation on the 7.5 in those 2 years than the £370 for the new car . 

With you on not leasing / pcp

Only ever previously done it to get additional dealer contribution and paid it off straight away once car arrived. Took it on current car as zero % interest so kept cash 

You can get some very well sorted 2017/18 sweet spot mk7.5s for around 25k or less, let alone 28k, and after two years you’re unlikely to have lost the 8.8k equivalent you’ll fork out on a lease.

But if the money isn’t a factor, and you can wait 6-9 months then go with what you want 👍🏼

Or you could be in a mk7.5 now then look at mk8s once all the software is out of Beta and manufacturing is back on track 😞

2 hours ago, Shug said:

With you on not leasing / pcp

Only ever previously done it to get additional dealer contribution and paid it off straight away once car arrived. Took it on current car as zero % interest so kept cash in savings account

yeah same here …. Although it’s been a very odd market ( as you well know ) for the past 2 years or so . I’ve spent out 131k in vehicles over the past 2 years ( mostly just before covid hit ) and I’m around 20k up right now if I we were to sell …. Way better than our isa pots . Feels like free motoring for a bit , or that’s the way I’m viewing it . 

anyway back on topic …. 

get a well Specced 7.5 …. The mk8’s are ugly :) 

flame suit just zipped up 

haha 

edit - just re-read that , and come across like a dick . I’m really not :) 

On 16/05/2022 at 16:09, Badger said:

You can get some very well sorted 2017/18 sweet spot mk7.5s for around 25k or less, let alone 28k, and after two years you’re unlikely to have lost the 8.8k equivalent you’ll fork out on a lease.

But if the money isn’t a factor, and you can wait 6-9 months then go with what you want 👍🏼

Or you could be in a mk7.5 now then look at mk8s once all the software is out of Beta and manufacturing is back on track 😞

This...

I work out you'll be paying £11,840 over the two years for the lease (32 x £370). 😶

Personally I'd try and pick up a nice spec Mk 7.5,  VW dealers offer 2 years warranty, 2 years MOT & 2 years recovery at the moment and I doubt you'd lose anything like £11,840 on a secondhand 7.5 over two years.   You just need to find a good 'un !!   You'll also be able to mod / remap if you buy your own 7.5 if you want.

Very subjective I know but I also prefer the 7.5 interior (but the 8 to drive).    

https://www.parkwayvolkswagen.co.uk/used-vehicles?utm_source=emailmarketing&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=pw_newsletter_may_22&utm_content=2022-05-22&brand[]=Volkswagen&page=1&model[]=Golf&trim_line[]=R

https://www.bigmotoringworld.co.uk/used-cars/volkswagen/golf/?derivative=r

On 22/05/2022 at 14:08, Bodyboarder81 said:

Oh I read 23x£370 = £8510

If it’s £11840 over 2 years , that’s crazy money !! No way would I go for that 

9 + 23 at 10k miles per annum means 9 months payment up front (£3330) followed by 23 months at £370 (= £8510).  So total = 3330 + 8510 = £11840 😒.  You always pay a fair bit up front with a lease - so best get specific Lease GAP cover to cover that initial upfront payment in case of theft in first few months.