Mk7.5 outright vs Mk8 lease

Grr

16 minutes ago, Bodyboarder81 said:

just turned 40 baby !! Living the dream 🤔😂 

should really stop messing around with cars ! Can’t seem to help it though ! 

Well belated happy 40th!  🎉. After 40, it only gets……..better. 😄

Don’t stop messing with cars!  Get anything car related for your big birthday? 

2 minutes ago, Booth11 said:

Well belated happy 40th!  🎉. After 40, it only gets……..better. 😄

Don’t stop messing with cars!  Get anything car related for your big birthday? 

yeah my wife and 2 boys bought me some ohlins suspension, AP brakes and a set of motec wheels 😜 

well I say bought me … what I really mean is gave me permission to indulge in what I love 😅

7 hours ago, Shug said:

Not fortunate, I work hard.

Left school at 16. Did a 4 year apprenticeship on way less money than most of my mates. Did 2 other jobs at the time to top up my wages.

Always lived within my means.

Never over stretched on mortgages.

Never used to have any spare cash, big TVs, expensive holidays.

Was lucky to land a junior role in current industry. (Insurance / Risk Engineering) and slowly got promoted - mostly through hard work, long hours. Have managed one of the largest global insurance risk engineering teams. 
High pressure job, close to breakdown a couple of times, but great support from SWMBO over 40 odd years.

Travelled internationally for work for 35 yrs now. Regularly away 15 weekends a year travelling / 100 nights a year on business. Up at 5 am, home after 8 pm. Missed a lot of my kids growing up.

Yep, on a decent salary now. Pension pot maxed out. A few rentals. Adequate savings etc.

Last few years have reassessed and had some very nice holidays and treated myself to some nice cars and bikes.

Still not pushing it, as currently driving a Toyota, whereas most people in my road have big Audi’s, Merc’s, Range Rovers, new cars on tick every three years, and hear them moaning about no money, not sure how they can sustain retirement when it comes.

Retiring soon, and off to coast 

I’ve also worked hard in the public sector on the frontline for 30yrs. 
A real slog trapped by a good pension at the time but it was hard grade  working shifts long hours,  stress highest accountability and scrutiny and plenty of time in Court. It was a satisfying job but although the pay was just above average it was well under paid for what you did but it was rewarding.

One of my clients is a retired GP and ex from Lancs Health board who explained why so many GP’s are leaving and going abroad for the lifestyle and much better remuneration.  They just totally fed up with crap pay and conditions in the UK . Same in Policing and many graduates now join leave within the probationary period as they quickly realise lack of career progression slots and poor pay and conditions when they could get better pay in IT, finance and banking jobs.

As for car pricing it has been become ridiculous in the past 12-18 months. 

A friend of mine in BMW has said they are not seeing the volume of younger people signing up to considerable finance. Still plenty of business  owners and wealthy people buying  M4’s, X5’s but the mainstream volume of sales

are going via fleet sales. 

One thing for me is J can’t ever seeing myself paying cash for an electric car in the future. It’s one car I’d probably would either lease or PCP as I’d never want to lash out 40-£50k on a battery car!

I would never buy a electric car - simply battery technology is moving fast but I am also not going to stop visiting the petrol pump yet.

For me it doesn't really matter how you finance your car, whats more important is being happy, and being happy with the descision you made. If leasing is best - fine (I could not get a R estate for £250 a month with £1300 deposit). THat was the cheapest way at the time.

I don't live a extravigant lifestyle, like many others, we are saving like mad currently to go to disney next year (not the best way to spend 10k but my family are disney mad) and that holiday is a once in a lifetime while the kids are young enough to enjoy it (9 and 4). Mind you we just spent £3k on turkey in august but after working all through lockdowns etc - i so badly want to just sit and do nothing!

R will be staying with me for the next 2 years at least - which reminds me - time to get the haldex done again, and maybe dsg oil changed.

You guys have clearly worked long and hard to get where you are at , I applaud you 💪🏼 

as has been mentioned , we live in different times now where social media puts huge pressure on younger folks to have the latest and the greatest . As such burden themselves with debt and worry for years . 

I lost my best friend 9 years ago ( my dad ) and he was only 60 years old . But he gave me the best upbringing I could have wanted , teaching me how to be respectful, humble and a good person . Not to judge people and always treat people with respect and kindness . My mum and dad didn’t have a lot materially but they loved us ( have a older brother and younger sister ) what my dad always gave me was his time . Time to take me surfing , play football , cut wood up , play with me . Later on when our first child came along we had a shed load of problems. Nearly lost our son 3 times , only 4.6lb premature. My mum and dad where there for us …. 

what am I getting at ?… 

Going into debt for a luxury car is insane in my eyes . You’ll have to work more to pay for it and that essentially takes time . 

I’ve vowed to be there for my kids right now ( 6 and 10 ) and I couldn’t do that if I was weighed down in debt . In years to come I hope they will view me at half of what my dad was to me . 

sorry … felt the need to get that off my chest 😬😘

2 hours ago, Msportman said:

I’ve also worked hard in the public sector on the frontline for 30yrs. 
A real slog trapped by a good pension at the time but it was hard grade  working shifts long hours,  stress highest accountability and scrutiny and plenty of time in Court. It was a satisfying job but although the pay was just above average it was well under paid for what you did

I recognise that job description all too well. Looks like we were in the same line of work😉 Only thing I miss is “The Banter”.

3 hours ago, bertie1249 said:

I recognise that job description all too well. Looks like we were in the same line of work😉 Only thing I miss is “The Banter”.

Me too!

Glad to be done and dusted in 2017!

Done some private work with colleagues  on and off but my business took off in 2017 and my plan of part time work went out of the window and now Jm full time ++

Banter made “the job”😀

8 minutes ago, Msportman said:

Me too!

Glad to be done and dusted in 2017!

Done some private work with colleagues  on and off but my business took off in 2017 and my plan of part time work went out of the window and now Jm full time ++

Banter made “the job”😀

I was luckier than you, I went in 2014 😁and to be honest I was glad to see the back of it, especially the night shifts in freezing winter. By the end I was too frightened to even “cough” wondering as to whether someone would make a complaint or feel offended🥴
Miss my friends and alas some have already passed away all too soon. Wife is the only worker in the household now👍🏻
If I didn’t have to continually pay for her Florida holiday’s , I’d have probably got an RS3 by now, but hey I really love my MK7.5.