Jump to content

Golf Mk8 R 20th Anniversary?


Booth11

Recommended Posts

36 minutes ago, UssMark said:

@Booth11 much appreciated for your feedback and opinion. And for the others that provided thoughts as well, thank you very much. I respect all of your opinions since you all have an MK8R for quite some time now. This is a dream car of mine, an attainable one, and after having owned several GTi's but no R's in the past, the time to get into a MK8R has a small-ish window before things get electronified across the vehicle lineup. And an even smaller window for a potential R20 anniversary model being a 1 year, 1800 units or so allotment for the U.S. I will keep you all updated on how things go and which direction I ultimately took. 


Best of luck.  It’s a great move going GTI to R, (made that move myself some years back after years of GTIs and have never regretted it, of course both have their respective merits, just different.   Let us know what you decide in due course and if you do get into an 8R, look forward to hearing your experience.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you.  Yup, I agree with you on that GTi's and R's are just different with their own merits.  I have watched dozens of videos recently and over the years and it seems like that this MK8R no doubt separates the distance between the two models more so than ever before.

 

There is a part of me to wait longer with either dealership and wait for a 2024 model year.  Obviously there won't be a chance at an R20 AE, but there could be improvements to the processing power of the UI and improvements to the sensors.  I read most of the "Gremlins" thread and it is upsetting to read about some of the issues that have been plaguing some owners.  Last I read It sounded like a revised steering wheel replacement might have fixed a particular owners UI alerts at least.  I am sure there are owners that might not be experiencing any issues, and it sounded like certain colder climate regions can possibly have a negative effect with those gremlin behaviors as well.  There is always a chance an 8.5R could have less goodies included, while at the same time, an increase in price.  A very tough decision and less than a day to make the call on the one presented to me, meh.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just an update for anyone considering a 20 years edition. I just placed a factory order today for one here in Britain, and it's looking like a near 2 year lead time to get the car sadly.

 

But I test drove one they had and I'm hooked! Just a shame it didn't have any options. When the car is that pricey to start with, I definitely want it to have the options I want!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jgray2023 said:

Just an update for anyone considering a 20 years edition. I just placed a factory order today for one here in Britain, and it's looking like a near 2 year lead time to get the car sadly.

 

But I test drove one they had and I'm hooked! Just a shame it didn't have any options. When the car is that pricey to start with, I definitely want it to have the options I want!

Still can’t work out the lead time when it was supposed to be a limited build time of a year from mid last year to this year

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jgray2023 said:

Just an update for anyone considering a 20 years edition. I just placed a factory order today for one here in Britain, and it's looking like a near 2 year lead time to get the car sadly.

 

But I test drove one they had and I'm hooked! Just a shame it didn't have any options. When the car is that pricey to start with, I definitely want it to have the options I want!

I was advised 10 months when I ordered mine about 6 weeks ago. I’m hopeful but sceptical of that lead time. My order was placed through Motorfinity. 
Lapiz, pan roof, HK, Akra, DCC, reverse camera. 

What spec have you ordered?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Parky-SPP said:

I was advised 10 months when I ordered mine about 6 weeks ago. I’m hopeful but sceptical of that lead time. My order was placed through Motorfinity. 
Lapiz, pan roof, HK, Akra, DCC, reverse camera. 

What spec have you ordered?

Nice spec the discount from motorfinity at the moment is unbelievable better than when I ordered mine

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Wads said:

Nice spec the discount from motorfinity at the moment is unbelievable better than when I ordered mine

The discount is crazy which was too good to resist. Just hope i actually receive it. The dealers are still taking orders though so I’m hopeful 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, TurboTrev said:

Regarding the UK R20, I have the UK dealer info sheet on it and it states the builds will be MY23 and the End of Production is Week 25/23 (towards the end of June).  The estimated build volume is approximately 400.  Whether VW stick to this, who knows!

My order says delivery in June just waiting game I guess. updates still not good from motorfinity 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Also been told from the outset that end of production was June 

The 400 number quoted was never set in stone so possibly if they don’t meet their sales figures for the R20 they may extend that June build date

Has anyone actually had a confirmed order or build date for a car ordered through Motor Infinity - from what I gather their lack of communication would leave a lot to be desired and would definitely put a doubt in my mind as to wether they will fulfil orders 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Parky-SPP said:

I was advised 10 months when I ordered mine about 6 weeks ago. I’m hopeful but sceptical of that lead time. My order was placed through Motorfinity. 
Lapiz, pan roof, HK, Akra, DCC, reverse camera. 

What spec have you ordered?

Similiar haha. Which country are you in?

 

White, black only estorils, hk, pan roof, akra, reverse cam, DCC.

 

Added the dynamic center caps and service plan through the dealer too. £269 for 2 services was a bargain I thought!

 

I'm seriously conflicted though, I'm not sure if I want to change from white to blue. The one I test drove was blue. I liked both colours, but my reason for going white was because it shouldn't show up stone chips as bad. But if I go blue I could PPF it I guess 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, SEAN G said:

Also been told from the outset that end of production was June 

The 400 number quoted was never set in stone so possibly if they don’t meet their sales figures for the R20 they may extend that June build date

Has anyone actually had a confirmed order or build date for a car ordered through Motor Infinity - from what I gather their lack of communication would leave a lot to be desired and would definitely put a doubt in my mind as to wether they will fulfil orders 

They just say everything is fine and they are in constant contact with the dealer and will provide update one build date confirmed. I’m a bit sceptical if I’m honest 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Current Donation Goals

    • Raised £170
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...