Jump to content

Yaris (Not GR)


Gus Fring
 Share

Recommended Posts

Popped to visit family and was given a 2021 Toyota Yaris 1.5 Hybrid, new shape same as the GR. 


Seriously impressed, what a car it is I’d happily own one as a commuter.

 

I got in and it was spacious I’m 6ft2 and no issues with driver seat room and also in the back due to the longer wheelbase of the new model, ample adjustment on the wheel and seats which were comfy and sporty, the infortainment system was easy to use and had all the info required these days plus the old school dials and display were easy to read, large glovebox and armrest too!  
 

CVT gearbox much improved, goes through the gears quietly and smoothly and unless you’re driving in a really spirited manner (as much as possible given tbe car) you’d barely notice didn’t feel elastic like most CVT’s, has a clever specific braking regen gear to help charge the battery quicker, which I made the most of on the big hills. 
 

The engine had 116bhp and a 0-60 of around 9 seconds I believe, which for the size was ample and easy to overtake on the country roads, this coupled with the electric motor it nipped out of junctions really well and up to 30-40 was surprisingly fun! Torque wise 207ft lbs! Which again doesn’t set your pants on fire but is more than enough! The switching from electric to petrol and vice versa always seemed to happen when it should and was barely noticeable. 
 

MPG wise mainly it was driven around the speed limit on country roads with built up traffic through villages and by the coasts, managed 64mpg with spells in the 70s on the longer A road stretches, MPG that’s often talked about but rarely experienced! We were heading for probably 550-600 miles from a tank, did well over 200 with the needle at half way when returned. 
 

I believe these cars are reserved for those over 60 and for good reason, but maybe with the release of the GR younger audiences may find the sportier specs to be a sort of cheap warm hatch alternative and they certainly should be, like I say I would recommend them to anybody who has a longish commute or indeed for those that nip between towns and cities. 
 

Well done Toyota and I really do think Hybrids should be explored me and refined by other brands, as opposed to pure electric with the infrastructure how it is but then again totally understand the reasons why not too! 
 

Anyways, review over I just fancied writing some thoughts down to pass the evening and thank you if you’ve made it this far!
 

Gus

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Gus Fring said:

2021 Toyota Yaris 1.5 Hybrid,


An older lady near us bought similar last year, after a Skoda Superb for 6 or 7 years. All the extras etc, nice metallic paint and Bonny allots.  It looked very well.   
She got rid after about 3 months, couldn’t get the hang of different controls and layout.  Sold it at a profit.  Bought a last of old shape Skoda Fabia, and has since exchanged this for the latest model. 
Without £ loss. 
Traditionally such antics would be akin a financial bloodbath, but nice to hear of a bod doing well out of the mad market we’ve had. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Personally I think hybrid is the future more than electric.

 

The hybrid cars are cheaper, but still get good mpg etc. I don't see what the issue is with hybrids, although I wasn't too keen on the cvt box when I tried the lexus is300h but I am sure its improved now as i test drove one of the first ones at guildford lexus.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, gazza5 said:

Personally I think hybrid is the future more than electric.

 

The hybrid cars are cheaper, but still get good mpg etc. I don't see what the issue is with hybrids, although I wasn't too keen on the cvt box when I tried the lexus is300h but I am sure its improved now as i test drove one of the first ones at guildford lexus.

 

Can't stand a CVT gearbox. I'm sure there are some good ones out there... maybe... but I'm yet to hear of/experience one myself.

 

I think the issue with hybrid or more specifically plug in hybrid comes down to how people use them. A lot of people are grabbing them for the company car benefit but then never plugging them in. As a result they are then worse off than most due to the added weight. If they are used correctly though they are great. You can nip around your local area on full electric and then when you need to take a long trip you've got the engine ready to go. As usual the claimed mpg is bull though. They all claim crazy figures like over 100mpg which must be based on a 30 mile journey where 25 miles are done on full electric or something.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, tweaked9107 said:

 

Can't stand a CVT gearbox. I'm sure there are some good ones out there... maybe... but I'm yet to hear of/experience one myself.

 

I think the issue with hybrid or more specifically plug in hybrid comes down to how people use them. A lot of people are grabbing them for the company car benefit but then never plugging them in. As a result they are then worse off than most due to the added weight. If they are used correctly though they are great. You can nip around your local area on full electric and then when you need to take a long trip you've got the engine ready to go. As usual the claimed mpg is bull though. They all claim crazy figures like over 100mpg which must be based on a 30 mile journey where 25 miles are done on full electric or something.

Everyone I know with a hybrid conveniently ignores the cost of the electricity and quote ‘amazing’ mpg figures.  My current electricity rate is 28p per kWh, efficiency clearly varies, but let’s say a hybrid does 2 miles/kWh (could be 2.5) that’s 14p per mile covered on electricity.  Not exactly cheap and a long way from free!   Different if you can plug in at work for free and you only do short journeys.  But for most of us, you’re lugging a battery and motor around which will make long journey mpg worse than a conventional car, especially a diesel.  I’m in an X1 18d xDrive at the moment (holiday hire car) and it refuses to do less than 40mpg even in shortish journeys, has average 52mpg since I’ve had it and will easily do over 60mpg on the motorway.  Would be even better if it wasn’t an SUV. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Agree with OP, averaging 55 mpg in my hybrid and get 90 on local trips of 10-15 miles.

 

Havent changed my driving style much and basically same as when driving SWMBOs Corsa so no issues.

 

Self charging hybrid is way forward as best of both worlds, and Toyota / Lexus seem to be one of the best 

 

No issues with the CVT matched with a 2 litre on my CHR GR Sport (sort of an R-Line in Golf terminology)

 

Tech good, and 10;yr warranty is a bonus 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 24/05/2022 at 23:04, Gus Fring said:

Popped to visit family and was given a 2021 Toyota Yaris 1.5 Hybrid, new shape same as the GR. 


Read this the first time and though you have a really generous family. Giving you a car just for visiting them. We’re lucky to get a cup of tea and a biscuit when we visit ours.

 

 

Then realises probably a hire car 🤪

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Shug said:


Read this the first time and though you have a really generous family. Giving you a car just for visiting them. We’re lucky to get a cup of tea and a biscuit when we visit ours.

 

 

Then realises probably a hire car 🤪

 

 


😂 yes should have stated it was a hire car! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Even my Beemer, which is only mild hybrid, returns 49 mpg on a run. Not bad for a three litre. Agree with [mention=24456]Martin2[/mention] - electricity prices are rising so plug ins probably aren’t as cheap to charge as they once were. Once the revenue from petrol and diesel starts dropping, there will be a levy on charging stations etc.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Deano said:

I fly a lot for work and never ever get a decent hire car (except once at Heathrow.)Last week I got an MG ZS which must be one if the worst cars ever made.

Same here. My company use Avis and I’m in their “preferred” loyalty  scheme. Nearly always get a 2 class upgrade. Mostly get Mercs and had a nice A class AMG line in Aberdeen a few weeks ago, brand new, leather interior. Not bad for £35 a day when I’d booked a base manual car. Got a fully loaded E class the rental before 
 

Recently in Edinburgh was given a ZS (petrol). Was definitely the worst car I’ve driven for years. Sat Nav was so laggy it was unreal. Auto box was dreadful and inside looked like Stevie Wonder was on the production line the day it was built. Only had 5k on it and was a shed.

 

At another airport a week or so later and the chap kindly upgraded me to.... another ZS, told him if he didn’t give me something else I’d rent from Hertz on next counter. Ended up in a C class Merc 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I rarely need to hire a car for work thankfully, so most of my experiences are on holiday, as I nearly always rent something even when visiting the Far East.  Last couple of US hire cars were V8 Mustang convertibles, but the next one will be an Escalade or Navigator as I need to carry 5 plus luggage.  Not so easy to get decent cars in Europe, currently in an X1 as I wanted something small (Amalfi Coast) but going with Sixt means a decent spec (HUD, leather, adaptive cruise etc).  Last one was an even better equipped X3 and before that a 5 series.  
 

Back to the OP, I did have a Toyota C-HR for a couple of days in Ireland a few years ago on a work trip and it sounds like they’ve mad big improvements, as it was pretty awful.  Terrible ride, struggled up hills and an awful gearbox 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Martin2 said:

I rarely need to hire a car for work thankfully, so most of my experiences are on holiday, as I nearly always rent something even when visiting the Far East.  Last couple of US hire cars were V8 Mustang convertibles, but the next one will be an Escalade or Navigator as I need to carry 5 plus luggage.  Not so easy to get decent cars in Europe, currently in an X1 as I wanted something small (Amalfi Coast) but going with Sixt means a decent spec (HUD, leather, adaptive cruise etc).  Last one was an even better equipped X3 and before that a 5 series.  
 

Back to the OP, I did have a Toyota C-HR for a couple of days in Ireland a few years ago on a work trip and it sounds like they’ve mad big improvements, as it was pretty awful.  Terrible ride, struggled up hills and an awful gearbox 


noticeable upgrades on the gearbox and also the chassis, so I believe anyway as I say the previous gen was pants especially the box, also believe power is up and of course Yaris being a smaller car may have played a role.
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, camelsac2002 said:

Even my Beemer, which is only mild hybrid, returns 49 mpg on a run. Not bad for a three litre. Agree with @Martin2 - electricity prices are rising so plug ins probably aren’t as cheap to charge as they once were. Once the revenue from petrol and diesel starts dropping, their will be a levy on charging stations etc.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They’ll certainly have to impose something on the EV drivers to make up for the literal billions of lost revenue when the day of no ICE arrives. 
 

Amazing the difference a little bit of an electric motor makes to MPG, I suspect in relation to my OP that the real R&D of the big companies is being put in to fully electric cars in preparation for the above which is of course understandable but I feel as though there are plenty of advances still to be made in hybrid motoring. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Current Donation Goals

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...