7.5 golf r vwr springs creaking sound

Hi all,

I've fitted some vwr springs recently and now at low speeds it sounds as if there's a creaking sound  coming from the front end possibly top suspension mounts bet sure.  I'm just asking if anyone else as experienced this  Any help advice would be appreciated.

Thanks kev

20220423_133229.jpg

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi all, I've fitted some vwr springs recently and now at low speeds it sounds as if there's a creaking sound  coming from the front end possibly top suspension mounts bet sure.  I'm just asking i

Mine used to over low speed bumps on the DCC shocks. Nothing elsewhere when moving though.   Used to creak stationary turning the wheel on full lock at certain times. Changed top mounts usin

When you fitted the new VWR springs, you should have fitted new front and rear top mounts/bearings etc. Also did you replace all the suspension bolts that were loosened or removed during the fitt

Posted Images

Mine used to over low speed bumps on the DCC shocks. Nothing elsewhere when moving though.

Used to creak stationary turning the wheel on full lock at certain times. Changed top mounts using genuine VAG mounts. No change. Car had done 37k at the time.

Funnily when I swapped out the DCC  and springs for the Ohlins R&T it went away. The Ohlins even on full drop sit higher the Racingline springs which do eventually sag over a few years use.

14BE7EEE-D64B-4DC6-A857-26854E1E2B19.jpeg

9D6C9542-4278-4A3D-A008-885AE75ED859.jpeg

BC90DF00-11BD-419B-800D-69A407215A90.jpeg

On 29/05/2022 at 20:39, Kevstar69 said:

Hi all,

I've fitted some vwr springs recently and now at low speeds it sounds as if there's a creaking sound  coming from the front end possibly top suspension mounts bet sure.  I'm just asking if anyone else as experienced this  Any help advice would be appreciated.

Thanks kev

20220423_133229.jpg

When you fitted the new VWR springs, you should have fitted new front and rear top mounts/bearings etc.

Also did you replace all the suspension bolts that were loosened or removed during the fitting of the springs? as they are all TTY (stretch) and therefore are one time use.

if you’ve reused the old bolts, then you’ll have issues applying and maintaining the correct torque value.

Lose or incorrectly torqued bolts = creaky suspension.

• 1 month later...
On 05/06/2022 at 08:30, EcosseGolfR said:

When you fitted the new VWR springs, you should have fitted new front and rear top mounts/bearings etc.

Also did you replace all the suspension bolts that were loosened or removed during the fitting of the springs? as they are all TTY (stretch) and therefore are one time use.

if you’ve reused the old bolts, then you’ll have issues applying and maintaining the correct torque value.

Lose or incorrectly torqued bolts = creaky suspension.

Thanks I did not replace the top mount bolts or bearing. I did refit the strut again and it was fine it's started doing it again on the n/s front only corner that had the problem so I'll try some new bolts. Thanks 

I did a driveshaft boot a couple of months ago. Refitted (I left the strut hanging to do the job). Immediately on reassemble it creaked like mad, over all bumps. The car is and was on original suspension non dcc, I had to pull apart again and install a new top mount and bearing  

I had this recently on a Golf R 7.5 , the drivers side front shocker was the problem.  car had done 18k and local Volkswagen would not fix it under warranty.  Classed it as wear and tear which I found very frustrating.   Anyway , I replaced the front two shocks myself with oem parts, if I remember correctly it was Sachs shocks I got, not bad pricing.  From my talks to other owners I believe this is a common weak spot on Mk7 and 7.5 cars.

Either that or previous owner had smashed it up the pavement on a regular occasion haha.

5 hours ago, breeze555 said:

I had this recently on a Golf R 7.5 , the drivers side front shocker was the problem.  car had done 18k and local Volkswagen would not fix it under warranty.  Classed it as wear and tear which I found very frustrating.   Anyway , I replaced the front two shocks myself with oem parts, if I remember correctly it was Sachs shocks I got, not bad pricing.  From my talks to other owners I believe this is a common weak spot on Mk7 and 7.5 cars.

Either that or previous owner had smashed it up the pavement on a regular occasion haha.

Mine is a Mk7. The oem was Sachs. Did you find the exact OEM replacement in aftermarket without buying off VW?

Mine was resolved with the new top mount. .... But now I think I can hear an occasional creak from the rear drivers side.  The top mounts on the rear are fixed, so think it unlikely to be that. Guess it leaves drop links or shock as the two likely, failing that some bushes I suppose.

But to clarify again, a lot of times the front end can be resolved or improved with top mounts and bearings. Mine were at 65k miles. As too would my rear running gear.

I would say it was top mounts , the shockers looked fine but I am no expert.  The top mount has a very visible weak spot if you look at them.  I do not have a pic to hand , but I remember looking at them and thinking its not the greatest design.  I got the sachs oem parts from euro car parts, £85 each if i remember correctly, mounts were around £25ish.

If I did it again I would replace the mounts first, but I had it all stripped down and thought I do not want to put this back together and then hear that damn creak again ! , so I changed the lot.

Quick one: Have you tried spraying some silicone lube on your lower control arm bushes? You can do it with the car on the ground and turn the steering wheel to it's extremes to help with access. Never know, could be a free fix? 👍

I've seen these mentioned as common causes for creaking suspension:
- Blown shock
- Top mounts
- Strut bearings
- lower control arm bushes.

Let us know how you get on.

3 hours ago, bneh said:

Quick one: Have you tried spraying some silicone lube on your lower control arm bushes? You can do it with the car on the ground and turn the steering wheel to it's extremes to help with access. Never know, could be a free fix? 👍

I've seen these mentioned as common causes for creaking suspension:
- Blown shock
- Top mounts
- Strut bearings
- lower control arm bushes.

Let us know how you get on.

Could be worth a try. Esp to help locate if replacing top mounts and bearings doesn't resolve. But my experience is silicon spray or grease won't solve for long but may point to where problem is or is not.

Always replace top mount and bearing together. Lemforder do a repair pack which is both parts.