I service and look after my cars religiously but know people that never service their cars and never have a problem! How is karma doing this to me 😢

The reason for my rant found an oil leak round by the looks of it from the sump area car only done 38 thousand miles and I treat it like a queen. I really do give up and I’m dreading what vw say when it goes in on Friday for them to look at. Only reason taking to them as it’s under warranty I’m already bracing myself for them to try and wriggle out of doing anything without charging me 😢

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No problem helping out.  It's just without seeing where the flow leads it's just educated guessing....   From your responses it sounds like we have discounted: Sump plug Oil level

I service and look after my cars religiously but know people that never service their cars and never have a problem! How is karma doing this to me 😢 The reason for my rant found an oil leak ro

Not good but at least it’s still under warranty.  Hopefully will get sorted all ok.  

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Swerve said:

I service and look after my cars religiously but know people that never service their cars and never have a problem! How is karma doing this to me 😢

The reason for my rant found an oil leak round by the looks of it from the sump area car only done 38 thousand miles and I treat it like a queen. I really do give up and I’m dreading what vw say when it goes in on Friday for them to look at. Only reason taking to them as it’s under warranty I’m already bracing myself for them to try and wriggle out of doing anything without charging me 😢

Not good but at least it’s still under warranty.  Hopefully will get sorted all ok.  

40 minutes ago, fastandy said:

Have you had a good look? Quite often oil is left around the plastic drain plug when draining.  Or are you seeing it on the ground? 

Not seeing it in the ground, plastic drain plug would that not be dead centre at bottom of sump? Or if you can advise I will have a look. Cheers 👍

54 minutes ago, GMballistic said:

Honestly @Swerve s**t happens. 
Doesn't matter how good of a person you are, how much you look after something or someone bad things happen unfortunately. :( 

Hopefully it's not too bad and as @Booth11 said at least you have a warranty. Best of luck. 

Your right mate shit does happen and being honest I should get a grip of myself but gets me so work up lol 

1 hour ago, Booth11 said:

fingers crossed but I’ve read so many horror stories about vw techs messing crap up I’m dreading it. 

6 hours ago, Swerve said:

Not seeing it in the ground, plastic drain plug would that not be dead centre at bottom of sump? Or if you can advise I will have a look. Cheers 👍

Yes, see this photo. Plug on the left. They are a locking plastic plug with o ring. Unless it wasn't installed properly it is very unlikely to leak but often  oil left around it which can spread.

The other next possibility is the oil level sensor shown beside it with wiring. They have a gasket and can leak.

After that the sump gasket or something from above next likely....

You really need to get the car safely off the ground to see properly. No chance of fitting under there with car on ground. 

image.png.28099daa028a4078202214d17d9fbd4e.png

2 hours ago, fastandy said:

Yes, see this photo. Plug on the left. They are a locking plastic plug with o ring. Unless it wasn't installed properly it is very unlikely to leak but often  oil left around it which can spread.

The other next possibility is the oil level sensor shown beside it with wiring. They have a gasket and can leak.

After that the sump gasket or something from above next likely....

You really need to get the car safely off the ground to see properly. No chance of fitting under there with car on ground. 

image.png.28099daa028a4078202214d17d9fbd4e.png

Thanx for that mate much appreciated, I have managed to get it up on a ramp and looking at your picture it seems to be on the right hand side weeping through a corner bolt attaching sump but mechanic couldn’t really tell looking up if it was coming down from higher ? Being fair to him he knows I’m a right control freak and said he hasn’t really worked on golf R engines except basic servicing so best to let vw find source. I’ve just noticed drips on my drive but can only have been from past week as I normally check. 

41 minutes ago, Swerve said:

Thanx for that mate much appreciated, I have managed to get it up on a ramp and looking at your picture it seems to be on the right hand side weeping through a corner bolt attaching sump but mechanic couldn’t really tell looking up if it was coming down from higher ? Being fair to him he knows I’m a right control freak and said he hasn’t really worked on golf R engines except basic servicing so best to let vw find source. I’ve just noticed drips on my drive but can only have been from past week as I normally check. 

Mmm. Clean all the oil off and retrace it in a couple of days or a week is one option.

Another is to look if there is an oil trace above the level of the sump gasket. If there is the problem is probably higher up.

Which corner of the sump bolt wad it noticeable. Passenger or Driver side.? 

55 minutes ago, fastandy said:

Mmm. Clean all the oil off and retrace it in a couple of days or a week is one option.

Another is to look if there is an oil trace above the level of the sump gasket. If there is the problem is probably higher up.

Which corner of the sump bolt wad it noticeable. Passenger or Driver side.? 

It’s only by one bolt drivers side corner at the rear mate and it it is above as well rest of the sump is absolutely bone dry no oil at all, wish I had took a bloody picture now 🙈

I have the oil changed every 6 months regardless of milage once at vw and interval a vw tech I know does it. He said he noticed it but cleaned it off as he thought it was just over spill. 

I’m just worried if a tech at vw who maybe not so experienced will just take easy way and say it’s sump without proper investigation first. 

I appreciate all the advice your giving me mate 👍

2 hours ago, Swerve said:

It’s only by one bolt drivers side corner at the rear mate and it it is above as well rest of the sump is absolutely bone dry no oil at all, wish I had took a bloody picture now 🙈

I have the oil changed every 6 months regardless of milage once at vw and interval a vw tech I know does it. He said he noticed it but cleaned it off as he thought it was just over spill. 

I’m just worried if a tech at vw who maybe not so experienced will just take easy way and say it’s sump without proper investigation first. 

I appreciate all the advice your giving me mate 👍

No problem helping out.  It's just without seeing where the flow leads it's just educated guessing....

From your responses it sounds like we have discounted:

Sump plug

Oil level sensor

Sump Gasket.

So that leaves something higher up on the drivers side.

Visibility and access is limited there. You can take the top part of the washer bottle off easily )it come apart in 2x halves)

You can also pull the coolant reservoir up out of its mountings without disconnecting lines.

On that side of the engine the most obvious sources that it COULD be

1. Overspill from oil top up (when was oil last changed or topped up?

2. N205 Solenoids the round things in the photo below that fit into the upper cam cover, the seals can leak, if you look closely at the photo my left hand exhaust one is pretty gunky.

3. Upper cam cover seal

4. Lower cam cover seal (this is a bit of a pain for access and it is a tube of special vw sealant on the lower cover)

That is pretty much me out on the obvious go tos.  You're going to have to try to get a good light source and remove the washer bottle, maybe dislocate the coolant reservoir to try and see. Remove the engine cover and check for overspill around the engine oil cap.

Other alternative, to to look from underneath, again with a good light source and probably with the splashguard removed.

1842178955_engine2.thumb.jpg.98debae504c1b43f9b2f044f82a9986f.jpg

1343593731_engine3.thumb.jpg.a3bf7ed79d50268bf6bf757acdb7fb4d.jpg

Edited by fastandy
photos

It could just be the oil filler cap, the old style ones can blow out a bit of oil which can make its way down the back of the engine. There's a new revised cap which has a yellow plastic insert underneath, check yours before you do anything else.

4 hours ago, fastandy said:

No problem helping out.  It's just without seeing where the flow leads it's just educated guessing....

From your responses it sounds like we have discounted:

Sump plug

Oil level sensor

Sump Gasket.

So that leaves something higher up on the drivers side.

Visibility and access is limited there. You can take the top part of the washer bottle off easily )it come apart in 2x halves)

You can also pull the coolant reservoir up out of its mountings without disconnecting lines.

On that side of the engine the most obvious sources that it COULD be

1. Overspill from oil top up (when was oil last changed or topped up?

2. N205 Solenoids the round things in the photo below that fit into the upper cam cover, the seals can leak, if you look closely at the photo my left hand exhaust one is pretty gunky.

3. Upper cam cover seal

4. Lower cam cover seal (this is a bit of a pain for access and it is a tube of special vw sealant on the lower cover)

That is pretty much me out on the obvious go tos.  You're going to have to try to get a good light source and remove the washer bottle, maybe dislocate the coolant reservoir to try and see. Remove the engine cover and check for overspill around the engine oil cap.

Other alternative, to to look from underneath, again with a good light source and probably with the splashguard removed.

1842178955_engine2.thumb.jpg.98debae504c1b43f9b2f044f82a9986f.jpg

1343593731_engine3.thumb.jpg.a3bf7ed79d50268bf6bf757acdb7fb4d.jpg

Ok mate thanx for that I will try and have a look oil was changed 6 months ago. Let’s hope vw check the things you have said. 

3 hours ago, Rajaman said:

It could just be the oil filler cap, the old style ones can blow out a bit of oil which can make its way down the back of the engine. There's a new revised cap which has a yellow plastic insert underneath, check yours before you do anything else.

Checked it mate it’s all black no yellow insert.

3 hours ago, Swerve said:

Ok mate thanx for that I will try and have a look oil was changed 6 months ago. Let’s hope vw check the things you have said. 

Checked it mate it’s all black no yellow insert.

Neither does mine. It fits pretty tight. No hint of leakage from mine. Except overspill if I'm careless pouring. 

So it went in today they have said the water pump and thermostat housing need replacing as they are leaking this is going to be done under warranty.

As for the oil they say misting of oil where located is acceptable and if I had not  raised it they would not have told me on the health check after service. Does this sound correct to you guys ? 

Any thoughts on what I have said above anyone as i am picking car up Monday and  don’t want to drive off if they are trying to pull a fast one  as I never thought vw would accept oil around bottom of engine as acceptable? 
cheers