Speed that Engine water heats up

Have our cars got electric heater to heat the engine water up? Because mine heats up so quick it’s unbelievable within probably a few minutes it’s up to 90. I am used to Octavia Vrs diesel that used to take ages. 

I understand modern VW engines have significantly reduced the amount of coolant that gets circulated while warming up so the engines get to optimum temp quicker.  This reduces emissions and improves fuel economy.

I agree that they warm up way quicker than VW diesels, the T5 van I had took forever, and in really cold weather when driving gently (eg cruising at 80kmh) it would sometimes actually cool down a bit, not warm up.  It sometimes took 20 minutes for the coolant gauge to show 90C.

25 minutes ago, golf7.5r said:

Water gets to temp v. quickly but the oil still takes 8-10 mins to reach operating temp, and your oil temp is much more important than water temp if you want to look after your engine (and turbo).

This!  

Always a good idea to have oil temp on your dash display so you can see at a glance where it’s at. 

Thank you for your reply’s very interesting yes always make sure oil is warm first before giving it some at least my heater should work quicker in the winter then my old Vrs  diesel. 

17 hours ago, gregozedobe said:

I understand modern VW engines have significantly reduced the amount of coolant that gets circulated while warming up so the engines gets to optimum temp quicker.  This reduces emissions and improves fuel economy.

I agree that they warm up way quicker than VW diesels, the T5 van I had took forever, and in really cold weather when driving gently (eg cruising at 80kmh) it would sometimes actually cool down a bit, not warm up.  It sometimes took 20 minutes for the coolant gauge to show 90C.

My old 2010 octavia Vrs Diesel what the same in the winter driving 11 miles to work in cold mornings it would not even reach 90.  
The golf R is so different compared to this. 

2 hours ago, Paul 7.5R said:

My old 2010 octavia Vrs Diesel what the same in the winter driving 11 miles to work in cold mornings it would not even reach 90.  
The golf R is so different compared to this. 

I have both....and also had a 2010 VRS diesel! 

Got a 2016 R and a 2014 VRS. Diesel takes forever to warm up, water and oil. All the diesels I've had have been the same and all the petrols I've had warm up far quicker. 

The exhaust manifold is integrated in to the head so helps to heat the water quickly from cold start. This also benefits to cool the exhaust gas temps when hot.

I also have a 2.0 tdi, as jrw says, they take an eon to warm up, in peak winter can be as much as 25-30 mins, which is a real pain as have to turn on the air-con to de-mist the windscreen.

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/06/2022 at 22:27, Paul 7.5R said:

Have our cars got electric heater to heat the engine water up? Because mine heats up so quick it’s unbelievable within probably a few minutes it’s up to 90. I am used to Octavia Vrs diesel that used to take ages. 

Yeah , mine is the same - in this warmer weather it’s up to an indicated 90 deg within minutes 👍

• 3 weeks later...

Petrols usually warm up more quickly that diesels, but Instant warm water / air through the vents in my diesel as it’s got a separate fuel burning heater, which pre-warms the cabin and engine.  Agree that oil warm up is the more important thing to watch out for.