Hi all , I’ve been told that it’s not advised to run a 5mm rear spacer ? 

Obviously a 5mm spacer isn’t hub centric but still leaving enough if the hub to place the wheel on . My new wheels run a spigot ring and still center / drive fine with a 5mm spacer ( with longer bolts ) but been told that not enough of the wheels / car weight is on the hub collar and could cause extra stress on the bolts , resulting in potential wheel bolts failure. 

any thoughts ? 

thanks 👍🏼

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The above is what I have … H&R 5mm hubcentric spacers … but the pic is just a generic image … in reality they are flat with no ‘lip’ 

Had a quick chat with a chap from AKS ( they are super helpful!)    and he said that the center bore is for mounting / centering the wheels only and when the wheel is all bolted correctly to

Result!   

Posted Images

Why cant you get a hub centric type in 5mm? I'm sure I have seen those before. 

With 5 bolts the logic part of my brain says it should be fine in reality - consider how strong the curved hub part actually is... pretty easy to bend, but if I were driving I'd always feel like its a weak point and that would ruin the experience.

Back in the 90's I had no idea what hub centric spacers even were. You'd just head up to a shop that sells tools, crappy subwoofers and universal spacers and next thing you know, you're Ford Orion Ghia has a wider stance. Never worried, nothing ever went wrong and plenty of folk did it - but ignorance is bliss.

I don't feel like I've helped. :)

EDIT - Maybe this is help. https://www.akstuning.co.uk/shop/home/1743-hr-5mm-hubcentric-wheel-spacers-black-with-option-for-extended-wheel-bolts-to-suit-b1055571.html

Had a quick chat with a chap from AKS ( they are super helpful!) 

and he said that the center bore is for mounting / centering the wheels only and when the wheel is all bolted correctly to the hub this ( friction ) is what takes all the weight.

I’m running 3mm longer bolts than standard and he did say you really want an extra 5mm longer bolts . So I’ve ordered them and hopefully that should put my mind at ease and I get the desired fitment I’m after :) 

3 minutes ago, Bodyboarder81 said:

Ok so figured it out 👍🏼 

these push inside the hub and make it a tad longer to help place the wheel on central . Not sure I need them though , as with a 5mm spacers I can still sit the wheel just about onto the hub to centralise it . 

Thats correct. I think you’ll he fine with 5mm as well but haven’t tried it personally.

17 minutes ago, Deano said:

Thats correct. I think you’ll he fine with 5mm as well but haven’t tried it personally.

well I’ve just jacked the car up , wheel off and had a good look …. 

the new wheels with a 5mm spacer although I can center them on the hub … it’s only around 5mm … and the wheels use a plastic spigot ring with a chamfered edge .. so won’t sit by themselves on the hub . 

the silver H&R spacers are a perfect 57.1 hub fitment … I bought some new FORGE ones , again advertised as 57.1 … but are actually 66mm !! So don’t sit on the hub at all ! Phoned awsome gti about it and they said sorry,  but no mention of a refund … 

pics of H&R under the Forge spacer for bore comparisons 

how the 5mm sits on the hub and what’s left sticking out 

and boxing of the ‘ 57.1’ FORGE spacers 

68C697CC-8B39-49E9-AEA0-F43D8B90E401.jpeg

B9D8E3DF-3F67-4712-B36E-F0FF994B3840.jpeg

D272881D-3A79-4912-B596-8D6D51999414.jpeg