Stage 1 Oil recommendations

I've got a service to do in the coming weeks and plan on going stage 1 within a few months, what's the recommended oil people are using when going stage 1. I understand that different may recommend different oils but I'd just like to hear what the majority go for, I've read up a bit myself on oils and I see quite a few people saying millers nanodrive 5w40 is good to use but i've noticed a nt+ version and I'm not entirely sure what the difference is.
Also for reference I'm driving a mk7 Golf.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I only use 5w40 oils now. My mapper said any oil that meets VW spec is fine, just change it regularly, and after each track-day. 5w40 at stage 1 and 2 just helps provide the protection at higher temps

Millers Nano is a great oil but I was informed by a respectable forum member on here not to go over 7k miles without changing the oil. He didn’t elaborate further as to why. I was running Miller’

Appreciate all the replies, going to give millers nano a try for this service and see how it goes with stage 1. I'll make sure and change it before 7k to be safe and go from there.

2 hours ago, r600_clubsport said:

i was told normal standard VW stuff is good enough, been reading alot of negative stuff ref millers for awhile - unsure exactly why as obv alot of people use it. 

That’s the first I’ve heard of that, but if that’s the case then I may stay clear of millers then.

59 minutes ago, r600_clubsport said:

Yeah, makes me wonder what it's about as i know alot use it still & had no issues. odd. 

I've kept normal standard stuff in mine (Stage 1)

Yeap the Castrol is fine. I ran it all the time up until 30k. Only difference is the Ester based oils have slightly better heat management properties. An oil cooler would help further and it’s on the to do list at some stage

Millers Nano is a great oil but I was informed by a respectable forum member on here not to go over 7k miles without changing the oil. He didn’t elaborate further as to why.

I was running Miller’s Nano initially when I went stage 1+ before going back to the OEM oil from TPS.

I think for stage 1 your fine with any oil that meets the VW specifications/approval.

On 31/07/2022 at 10:51, EcosseGolfR said:

Millers Nano is a great oil but I was informed by a respectable forum member on here not to go over 7k miles without changing the oil. He didn’t elaborate further as to why.

I was running Miller’s Nano initially when I went stage 1+ before going back to the OEM oil from TPS.

I think for stage 1 your fine with any oil that meets the VW specifications/approval.

I tend to agree with that sentiment. Ea888 have always been sensitive to cleanliness. I think a 7 to 8k mile oil change regime is probably more important than the specific brand of oil. Certainly i wouldnt like to go over 10k. I prefer vw502.00 5w40 oils and use mobil super 3000x1. Used it on the gen2 vrs and now on the gen3 R. 

I only use 5w40 oils now. My mapper said any oil that meets VW spec is fine, just change it regularly, and after each track-day. 5w40 at stage 1 and 2 just helps provide the protection at higher temps. If you don't tend to see oil temps much above 100c then you probably wont need 5w40. Generally speaking the closer the two multi-grade numbers are to each other the better and more stable the oil viscosity will be, hence why MSportman uses 10w40.

If you used 5w30 oil and tracked your car, you could see oil temps of 120+ deg c, which means the oil is going to be significantly thinner than it would be at 100deg, and therefore possibly not offer the same level of protection it normally would.

Previously I've used Quantum, Castrol, Millers and now am using Fuchs Race Pro which is an ester based oil, I'd say in the last 18 months mines had 5 oil changes with another one due now, and each time I inspect the oil being extracted and can see it's doing it's job of absorbing the contaminants. 

Being remapped, the way I see it, it's better to perform an oil change knowing its always offering 100% protection to the engine than to save £50 and potentially risk gradual wear over time that may eventually lead to problems. This might be overkill I know, but it gives me peace of mind.

If it was stock map I wouldn't be as concerned but would still be performing more regular oil changes than the factory schedule.

13 hours ago, Bingodalton said:

Why not 0w40? It would offer great allround protection, esp. in winter in cold starts.
There is no need for 10w40, 5w40 is perfectly fine.
And it is not best that those numbers are closer. If somebody think it is, he can always buy single grade oil SAE40.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

0w40 could be fine in practice but i’m not sure it meets VW spec for these engines. I think it just depends on how cold the winter will likely be. Here in the UK, dont think it drops much below zero deg, and the factory had obviously concluded that 5w30 is good enough to protect the engine when cold and this applies across Europe where temps go generally lower than the UK.

with 0w40 its slightly thinner when cold and there would be a wider variability in viscosity. 
Why not 0w50 then? Where do you draw the line? Would the oil pump struggle with that grade?
I think id much prefer to stick with 5w40 and install an oil cooler for those hot days, and when cold i always let the engine warm properly before applying any proper load anyway.

single grade oil sae40 might be fine in warmer climates but multigrade oils are much better these days.

I normally change my oil 6-7k using Millers although this time it was closer to 10k but the oil wasn’t that dirty. 
My track excursions are now brief and try and go to open pit Lane days where I venture out for 3-4 laps and pop back in for a cool down. I normally limit to half day and change the oil when it’s due rather than straight after the event. Originally I was changing the oil straight after the event but it was just OTT for its usage.

Never had a problem at stage 2 and car now sits at 47k and drives like it did from new, everything still tight and hardly any usage between changes. 
I do run a Racingline Catch Can that is effective in collecting emulsified oil vapour.

On 02/08/2022 at 21:39, purplepulser said:

I only use 5w40 oils now. My mapper said any oil that meets VW spec is fine, just change it regularly, and after each track-day. 5w40 at stage 1 and 2 just helps provide the protection at higher temps. If you don't tend to see oil temps much above 100c then you probably wont need 5w40. Generally speaking the closer the two multi-grade numbers are to each other the better and more stable the oil viscosity will be, hence why MSportman uses 10w40.

If you used 5w30 oil and tracked your car, you could see oil temps of 120+ deg c, which means the oil is going to be significantly thinner than it would be at 100deg, and therefore possibly not offer the same level of protection it normally would.

Previously I've used Quantum, Castrol, Millers and now am using Fuchs Race Pro which is an ester based oil, I'd say in the last 18 months mines had 5 oil changes with another one due now, and each time I inspect the oil being extracted and can see it's doing it's job of absorbing the contaminants. 

Being remapped, the way I see it, it's better to perform an oil change knowing its always offering 100% protection to the engine than to save £50 and potentially risk gradual wear over time that may eventually lead to problems. This might be overkill I know, but it gives me peace of mind.

If it was stock map I wouldn't be as concerned but would still be performing more regular oil changes than the factory schedule.

I ran the Fuchs oil as an alternative when offer from Opie Oils. Equally good stuff as the Millers IMO.