Golf R Mk 7.5 Tyres advice

Just bought a new Mk 7.5 golf r. Need advice on tyres to buy. I know pilot sport 4s are the best, but might be a bit expensive for me right now.

1) Any ideas of good solid all year tyres but at a decent price. Best cost effective i guess. 

2) And lastly which is the absolute cheapest tyres you'd recommend but will still do a job. 

Need from both categories please so I can decide. Thanks. 

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Your car, and you/ your family, are held on the road by 4x handprint sized bits of rubber. Don’t go cheap. How much is your car / you and your loved ones worth?   Cheap tyres are called ditchfi

My view. A quick look on Blackcircles today shows; 225/40/18.   MPS4. £105 each.   15% off, so Four for £357. vs. Cheapest, Triangle. £65.    Four for £260.   U

Considering that it's the only piece of your car that "touches the tarmac", I concur with the above - spend that little extra.   It could be the difference one day between rear ending someon

38 minutes ago, Kasim said:

Just bought a new Mk 7.5 golf r. Need advice on tyres to buy. I know pilot sport 4s are the best, but might be a bit expensive for me right now.

1) Any ideas of good solid all year tyres but at a decent price. Best cost effective i guess. 

2) And lastly which is the absolute cheapest tyres you'd recommend but will still do a job. 

Need from both categories please so I can decide. Thanks. 

My view.

A quick look on Blackcircles today shows;

225/40/18.

MPS4. £105 each.   15% off, so Four for £357.

vs.

Cheapest, Triangle. £65.    Four for £260.

Under £100 difference.  

I know times are tough currently, but suggest you find the additional £100 or so. ? An early Xmas/Birthday gift or some such.   

False economy to buy rubbish and replace with premium later, or sooner. 

15 minutes ago, NRW said:

My view.

A quick look on Blackcircles today shows;

225/40/18.

MPS4. £105 each.   15% off, so Four for £357.

vs.

Cheapest, Triangle. £65.    Four for £260.

Under £100 difference.  

I know times are tough currently, but suggest you find the additional £100 or so. ? An early Xmas/Birthday gift or some such.   

False economy to buy rubbish and replace with premium later, or sooner. 

If you have 235.35.19

MPS4S. £172.99. 15% off. £588.20.

Cheapest.  Mazzini. £80.68.  £322.72. 

A £265 difference.   Get advance Gifts from Friends & Family, it’s a Safety driven purchase after all😀

There’s so little difference between the cheapest acceptable (to me / in my opinion) tyre and the discounted PS4S, about £80 a set, I really wouldn’t bother going cheap.  It’s just not worth going any cheaper from a safety perspective and you’ll feel the benefit every day.

Considering that it's the only piece of your car that "touches the tarmac", I concur with the above - spend that little extra.

It could be the difference one day between rear ending someone and stopping just short of hitting them... We spend so many thousands on buying a car that is circa 300bhp, 0-60 in under 5 seconds etc and then we try to save money on one of the most critical components that helps it stop. The added benefits of better handling and wet braking is another bonus.

The new Continental 7,s came out top in tests , even beating MPS4s. Kwik fit have discount for 2 / 4 tires and a 5% extra code at checkout. I use the mobile guys to fit, least you can see what they’re doing and use the pneumatic jacks to raise the car. 

Your car, and you/ your family, are held on the road by 4x handprint sized bits of rubber. Don’t go cheap. How much is your car / you and your loved ones worth?

Cheap tyres are called ditchfinders for a reason

If really cash strapped buy the previous generation tyres from a major manufacturer rather than the budget ones. Remember these were the best tyres two years ago so perfectly fine

Don't forget tyre's all have a reasonable weight to consider, possibly even more so than a brake disc weight as they are the furthest out rotational items, so centrifugal force / rolling resistance is higher & how they affect the steering etc would be different. 

So generally buying cheap means a heavier, higher rolling resistance tyre, so you save on their cost but you'll use a lot more fuel & your car will handle poorly . 

You can get Goodyear Asymetric 5 fitted for £139 ea at most places, & thats a brilliant tyre.

Tyre size: 235 35 19
GoodYear Asymmetric 5 - 9.58kg
Conti 5P FR AO - 9.8kg

Pirelli P Zero RO1 - 9.87kg

Michelin PSS - 9.96kg

Hankook Ventus V12 evo 2 -  10,02kg
Pirelli P Zero: - 10.2kg

Michelin PS4S  - 10,22kg
Falken Azenis 10.43kg

Hankook S1 Evo 2 - 11.00kg
Conti 6 FR XL - 13.430kg 

4 hours ago, Jace said:

Don't forget tyre's all have a reasonable weight to consider, possibly even more so than a brake disc weight as they are the furthest out rotational items, so centrifugal force / rolling resistance is higher & how they affect the steering etc would be different. 

So generally buying cheap means a heavier, higher rolling resistance tyre, so you save on their cost but you'll use a lot more fuel & your car will handle poorly . 

You can get Goodyear Asymetric 5 fitted for £139 ea at most places, & thats a brilliant tyre.

Tyre size: 235 35 19
GoodYear Asymmetric 5 - 9.58kg
Conti 5P FR AO - 9.8kg

Pirelli P Zero RO1 - 9.87kg

Michelin PSS - 9.96kg

Hankook Ventus V12 evo 2 -  10,02kg
Pirelli P Zero: - 10.2kg

Michelin PS4S  - 10,22kg
Falken Azenis 10.43kg

Hankook S1 Evo 2 - 11.00kg
Conti 6 FR XL - 13.430kg 

I never considered that (although I have always spent well on the best tyres I could), I'll have to consider tyre weight too next time as it could well make an impact to ride quality too.

You could spend £500 on Clubsports S brake discs to lose 1Kg of weight and then add it straight  back on by choosing tyres that are 1.5Kg heavier 😌

On 05/08/2022 at 06:54, Shug said:

Your car, and you/ your family, are held on the road by 4x handprint sized bits of rubber. Don’t go cheap. How much is your car / you and your loved ones worth?

Cheap tyres are called ditchfinders for a reason

If really cash strapped buy the previous generation tyres from a major manufacturer rather than the budget ones. Remember these were the best tyres two years ago so perfectly fine

This 👍

On 05/08/2022 at 20:01, Imteyaz said:

You could spend £500 on Clubsports S brake discs to lose 1Kg of weight and then add it straight  back on by choosing tyres that are 1.5Kg heavier 😌

exactly,  you blow £1k + on lightweight  flow formed wheels & stick a set of heavy tyres on 🤷‍♂️

On 04/08/2022 at 13:29, Martin2 said:

There’s so little difference between the cheapest acceptable (to me / in my opinion) tyre and the discounted PS4S, about £80 a set, I really wouldn’t bother going cheap.  It’s just not worth going any cheaper from a safety perspective and you’ll feel the benefit every day.

Thank you everyone. PS4S it is then. I've had a think about it and it doesn't make sense to go for anything cheaper. May as well go all out and get the full feel. 

A lot of you guys are talking about discounted prices. Which websites are these from. £155-£170 per tyre is what I'm seeing everywhere. Is that about right?