Jump to content

Front wheel spin/slip but only now and again 😪


Recommended Posts

As title I'm getting I little wheel spin every now and again, even in the bone dry straight line no turn on wheel, 99% of the time no spin/slip, even in the wet, cars a weapon running the Littco L380x and lots of supporting mods, made 430/400 at Unicorn, its much quicker now after the additional supporting Mods, had the haldex oil change and filter clearned around 1500 miles ago, never noticed the slipping before that, only launched the car 1 time, this problem raised its head thereafter,   cars done 33000 miles, ive run the pump prime through OBD11 and also the Vagcom tool and cleared faults even though no faults shown, I was thinking either pump on its way out, or faulty controller,

 

anyone else had this issue?

 

Thanks in advance for any help given 👍

 

Daz B 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The gear inside the transfer case/bevel box may be slipping on its shaft.  It gives similar symptoms to a Haldex problem, is most common on cars with extra power, especially those that have been launched.  Some research will give you more info and tell you how to diagnose.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, gregozedobe said:

The gear inside the transfer case/bevel box may be slipping on its shaft.  It gives similar symptoms to a Haldex problem, is most common on cars with extra power, especially those that have been launched.  Some research will give you more info and tell you how to diagnose.

Ok thanks ill do some research on that, just want it sorted before it goes Bang 😅

 

Cheers 

 

Daz B 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

To better check on the wheelspin, get someone outside the car to watch while you take off hard (traction control off) on a lower traction surface (wet bitumen/concrete, grass, gravel, dirt etc) and carefully watch the rear wheels.  If the rear wheels don't spin at all you have an AWD problem (usually Haldex, sometimes transfer case/bevel box).   Note, it can sometimes take a short time for the Haldex to kick in properly and engage drive to the rear wheels.

 

If the rear wheels do spin about the same as the front then try again on a high traction surface (dry bitumen/concrete), if the rear wheels still spin then you have a traction issue (too much power for tyres grip), better tyres may help, as will better throttle control.   If the rear wheels don't spin you have an AWD problem (usually Haldex, sometimes transfer case/bevel box). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, gregozedobe said:

To better check on the wheelspin, get someone outside the car to watch while you take off hard (traction control off) on a lower traction surface (wet bitumen/concrete, grass, gravel, dirt etc) and carefully watch the rear wheels.  If the rear wheels don't spin at all you have an AWD problem (usually Haldex, sometimes transfer case/bevel box).   Note, it can sometimes take a short time for the Haldex to kick in properly and engage drive to the rear wheels.

 

If the rear wheels do spin about the same as the front then try again on a high traction surface (dry bitumen/concrete), if the rear wheels still spin then you have a traction issue (too much power for tyres grip), better tyres may help, as will better throttle control.   If the rear wheels don't spin you have an AWD problem (usually Haldex, sometimes transfer case/bevel box). 

As I said, the front wheels loose traction only now and again, 99% of the time alls good, I was beginning to think lazy pump, tried full send in the wet car grips and goes 99% of the time, new rubber all round MPS4S, I've only ever launched the car once, I'm thinking just monitor the issue for now, until I can say for sure what's up, plugged the the vcds to run some logs during some hard use, but could not get the wheels to spin at the time 🤣

 

I'm back home next week, will check out some vids showing transfer case bevel box issues to cross check my issue 👍

 

Thanks again 😉

 

Daz B 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 25/08/2022 at 18:57, dazbcos1969 said:

UPDATE 😁

 

So i Run some tests suggested in the link below which pointed to the Haldex Pump being the issue, changed the pump today, now I have 4 wheel drive again 😁🥳

 

https://www.haldexrepairs.co.uk/generation-5-haldex-fault-finding-repair-guide/

 

Thanks 

 

Daz B 👍

It's now gone back to spinning tge front wheels after about 20 mins of hard driving 😪 it also changes up a gear on its own in manual every now and again, no fault codes so no deffo info of what's up, been told could be haldex clutch plates worn 🤪 not good but I'm hoping to get.it fixed soon, once I can secure a garage in North east that can change the clutch plates, I'll probs go for upgraded plates if I can, I've sent a few emails out to garages in the North East area, just wanting quotes and availability before I pick a garage 👍

Cheers 

Darren 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, dazbcos1969 said:

It's now gone back to spinning tge front wheels after about 20 mins of hard driving 😪 it also changes up a gear on its own in manual every now and again, no fault codes so no deffo info of what's up, been told could be haldex clutch plates worn 🤪 not good but I'm hoping to get.it fixed soon, once I can secure a garage in North east that can change the clutch plates, I'll probs go for upgraded plates if I can, I've sent a few emails out to garages in the North East area, just wanting quotes and availability before I pick a garage 👍

Cheers 

Darren 

I'd get the bevel box/Transfer case issue properly investigated and ruled out before spending any money on Haldex parts & labour.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, gregozedobe said:

I'd get the bevel box/Transfer case issue properly investigated and ruled out before spending any money on Haldex parts & labour.

Yes I need correct diagnosis but if it was bevel box it would not work without issue for 20 mins of hard driving right? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, dazbcos1969 said:

Yes I need correct diagnosis but if it was bevel box it would not work without issue for 20 mins of hard driving right? 

From reports I've read they can slip, grip, then slip again (which is why the issue can be difficult to diagnose).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, gregozedobe said:

From reports I've read they can slip, grip, then slip again (which is why the issue can be difficult to diagnose).

As ive said im getting full grip for 20 to 30 mins no slip even in wet, then once it slips it stays in slip mode 🤪 got it booked in to run some live data on Monday which I'm told will get to the bottom of the issue, fingers crossed 🙏

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wonder how many people driving around like myself who don’t particularly launch the car would know?

I have had my fluid and filter cleaned recently as it’s normally done every £10k but I’m assuming it’s ok from the way the rear digs in on track.

 

Is the clutch packs in the Haldex a common failure or bevel box issue a common problem that points to plenty of launching by previous keepers etc. One of the reasons I’ve resisted launching over my ownership since I bought the car.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Msportman said:

I wonder how many people during around like myself who don’t particularly launch the car would know?

I have had my fluid and filter cleaned recently as it’s normally done every £10k but I’m assuming it’s ok from the way the rear digs in on track.

 

Is the clutch packs in the Haldex a common failure or bevel box issue a common problem that points to plenty of launching by previous keepers etc. One of the reasons I’ve resisted launching over my ownership since I bought the car.

I've only ever launched the car 1 time, however I do beat on her in manual mode1st through to 3rd, after 20 mims of that is when I get the wheel spin and the traction light flashing, which cuts the power when full traction is selected 🤪 next time I take it out for a play alls well unless I beat on her some more 🙃 I'm so hoping I can get to the bottom of the problem, I'll continue until I get to the bottom of the issue, if its tye clutch plates I may go for the rear wavtrac while the cars in bits, let's see 🥳

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Msportman said:

I wonder how many people driving around like myself who don’t particularly launch the car would know?

I have had my fluid and filter cleaned recently as it’s normally done every £10k but I’m assuming it’s ok from the way the rear digs in on track.

 

Is the clutch packs in the Haldex a common failure or bevel box issue a common problem that points to plenty of launching by previous keepers etc. One of the reasons I’ve resisted launching over my ownership since I bought the car.

i was driving mine around completely unaware my haldex wasnt working

i decided to give it a launch one day and lit the front tyres up, literally did a burn out, sat on the spot, filled the place full of tyre smoke

had the pump replaced and it launches properly now 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Msportman said:

I wonder how many people driving around like myself who don’t particularly launch the car would know?

I have had my fluid and filter cleaned recently as it’s normally done every £10k but I’m assuming it’s ok from the way the rear digs in on track.

 

Is the clutch packs in the Haldex a common failure or bevel box issue a common problem that points to plenty of launching by previous keepers etc. One of the reasons I’ve resisted launching over my ownership since I bought the car.

i was driving mine around completely unaware my haldex wasnt working

i decided to give it a launch one day and lit the front tyres up, literally did a burn out, sat on the spot, filled the place full of tyre smoke

had the pump replaced and it launches properly now 

i was getting the traction light flashing a little in 2rd and 3rd sometimes which initially prompted me to try a launch

since getting the pump done i havent seen that traction light flash at all

only been on dry roads though up to now

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Current Donation Goals

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...