Clicking/ticking + lumpy idle + misfire on acceleration

Djs2394

Hi all, 

Not posted for quite a while and thats probably because my R has been faultless, in fact I was just praising it Saturday gone. Well went to visit Mazda dealership looking for a car for my now fiance and on the way home my R started to misfire quite badly on acceleration. I pulled up and noticed the idle was really really lumpy fluctuating up and down, had the whole car vibrating I also heard a pretty serious clicking/ticking noise..

My first thought was some sort of timing chain issue as the noise is coming from the left hand side of the engine if you were stood in-front of it with the bonnet up so I wasn't going to drive it home fearing catastrophic failure. Anyway I don't think the timing chain is the issue, It sounds to me like some sort of solenoid/sensor which is malfunctioning pretty seriously. 

I turnt the car off and on a number of time, rev'd it in neutral etc and all of a sudden the ticking went away, the idle is back to normal and the car drives almost faultlessly but for a tiny misfire which I can only get in 4th gear..

Weird I know! Well I plugged the OBD2 in when I got home and read the car, mistakenly i cleared the faults rather the reading them (its been a while) and I have nothing to go off until it reoccurs which I am sure it will soon.

Just wondered has anyone here experienced anything similar?

Dan

The injectors x 4 underneath the intake manifold. Not really exactly where op is indicating but possible I guess. I've not come accross anyone who has heard an injection fault on a R though.

The hpfp is at the opposite end of engine. Rhs when standing in front.

My guess is it is one of the variable timing solenoids or the valve inside that has a problem. Although, I've had faults with these before and I haven't heard physical clicking and did not have noticeable misfire.

On a full function scan tool you can monitor the variable intake timing intake and exhaust from specified. If it is not closely following or gets stuck that is a problem.

It is usually the front one, intake that plays up first. You can remove tge magnetic solenoid and check the pin is not frozen. Brake cleaner may free it for a while. Wear eye protection.. 

The other solenoid things are along the back of engine, I think there are 16 and called adjustment valves. They can fail but seem far less frequent. 

1 hour ago, Bingodalton said:

Even with faulty magnets it would work ok, but not perfect.
I am just guessing of faulty injector as it sounds like it started working on 3 cylinders.
It happens in usa for DI.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Yes, OK. A  full scan  removal of magnets and a check of spark plugs may help pin point for OP. 

3 hours ago, Bingodalton said:

Scan for the start. Drive it a little bit, in order to get any error.
Magnets can be checked in vcds also, so no need to remove them.

Yes, it can but my actual experience of the issue with them that can help but there is nothing like physically inspecting.  But I would expect a variable timing set point error as well. 

Physically they could even move, but still not working properly.
I know from my experience.
I had mismatch in vcds from actual and requested value. I have cleaned magnet, it was stucked and after that moving freely, but I still got missmatch.
So, this is easiest way to check them.
In vcds you choose to see graph and then drive monitoring values, they should match.

You can see missmatch on first picture. It just tries to keep around 15, going up and down.

On second one you can see how intake follows requested, but exhaust one is missmatching.

And third one all great.

12146393eee569e894175e84e701be13.jpge1a9b4aebece64b0367b72191e0005c5.jpg89437e101bf05d18d0613519525c520f.jpg

Yes same here. But mine were intermittently sticking. Vcds pointed to the issue but inspection confirmed.

The other aspect is vcds could point to a problem but just replacing the solenoids blind may not resolve if there is a problem with the actual actuation valve screwed into the camshaft bridge behind the magnetic solenoid.

Vcds won't tell you which part is faulty... 

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the info,

I am still having this issue but I cant get it to replicate exactly as in the original post and so cant get any EML up to check codes. I need to get a long screwdriver out and put it on each of the injectors to listen for a rhythmic clicking sound from each injector as it sometimes sounds lumpy on idle in the mornings I've noticed. Following this I will run some injector cleaner through, check for vacuum leaks then replace the plugs myself for £40 seem worth while if none of this works then I may buy a single coil pack and swap it through the 4 cylinders to see if there is any difference. Failing all this ill be pretty stuck... fearing fuel pump or similar.

changed the 4 plugs last night and shes running like a dream now I'm glad to say however this whole thing has given me itchy feet and I think I am going to Part Ex the Golf are head for a 240i or 440i BMW (dont give me too much grief :D) 

I have really enjoyed the ownership of this car and after nearly 3 years this is easily the best car I've ever owned and I wouldn't be surprised if im back in a mk8, 8.5 or 9 in years to come.

I will have some bits and bobs off my Golf going up for sale on the classified in the coming days for those of you who might be interested.

JUDD T311R 19" Alloy wheels in gunmetal grey

Ramair Silicone intake hose + turbo elbow + panel filter

DTUK Pedal box+ 

Unicorn Stage 1 high torque 99 octane map software on a tablet purchased directly from Unicorn.

VW Golf MK 7 illuminated paddle shifters in black

Like I said sales will only be made through the classifieds but let me know if you might be interested in these bits.

I appreciate all the help and info I have received on this form over the years, I am less active now but I do pop in for a nose regularly so speak soon and thank-you.

On 04/12/2022 at 19:59, Djs2394 said:

changed the 4 plugs last night and shes running like a dream now I'm glad to say however this whole thing has given me itchy feet and I think I am going to Part Ex the Golf are head for a 240i or 440i BMW (dont give me too much grief :D) 

I have really enjoyed the ownership of this car and after nearly 3 years this is easily the best car I've ever owned and I wouldn't be surprised if im back in a mk8, 8.5 or 9 in years to come.

I will have some bits and bobs off my Golf going up for sale on the classified in the coming days for those of you who might be interested.

JUDD T311R 19" Alloy wheels in gunmetal grey

Ramair Silicone intake hose + turbo elbow + panel filter

DTUK Pedal box+ 

Unicorn Stage 1 high torque 99 octane map software on a tablet purchased directly from Unicorn.

VW Golf MK 7 illuminated paddle shifters in black

Like I said sales will only be made through the classifieds but let me know if you might be interested in these bits.

I appreciate all the help and info I have received on this form over the years, I am less active now but I do pop in for a nose regularly so speak soon and thank-you.

How old is your R?

Miles?

Im at 49k APR stage 2 from just 12k and it’s been pretty faultless except one dodgy injector.

I put Ohlins on the car swapping out DCC and have a 8pot Tarox BBK so if and when I do sell I’ll put it on PH as a package. Car is over serviced and a good spec / colour/spec etc but I won’t sell it before Christmas but finding replacement is very difficult as everything has soared in price.

Ive looked at R20 M240 and M2 Comp as occasional glances at 8Y RS3 but all of these cars are £50k ++ except M2 Comp and R20 on offer via Motoraffinity @ £41500.

M240 £50-£53k depends on spec. R20 18 month wait! By then MK8.5 will appear🤔

3 hours ago, Msportman said:

How old is your R?

Miles?

Im at 49k APR stage 2 from just 12k and it’s been pretty faultless except one dodgy injector.

I put Ohlins on the car swapping out DCC and have a 8pot Tarox BBK so if and when I do sell I’ll put it on PH as a package. Car is over serviced and a good spec / colour/spec etc but I won’t sell it before Christmas but finding replacement is very difficult as everything has soared in price.

Ive looked at R20 M240 and M2 Comp as occasional glances at 8Y RS3 but all of these cars are £50k ++ except M2 Comp and R20 on offer via Motoraffinity @ £41500.

M240 £50-£53k depends on spec. R20 18 month wait! By then MK8.5 will appear🤔

Hi mate its a 2016 and done 64k miles.

Has Dynaudio, keyless entry and start, pro nav, leather heated seats, DSG, 19" JUDD T311R, pedalbox +, stage 1 unicorn with TVS TCU STAGE 3 map, resonator delete.

Been a great car, it was a difficult making the decision to part with it. I wanted something a bit more"grown up" and I appreciate thats subjective but I feel like the golf mapped stage 1 with aftermarket wheel and a cracks and bangs map has me living my late teens and early 20's which is fine! but I just wanted something a bit more refined, I also have a RWD itch I want to scratch. 

If I had waited a couple more year I probably could of gotten in an M4 competition but I'm 28 now and in a couple years I could have a sprog or two and the M4 dream would go down the drain. I almost went for a BMW 240i but decided against it because I felt like it was the same kind of car as the Golf, small pointy and "chavy" haha I really don't mean that in a bad way. I knew I wanted to B58 engine so a 40i was a must and the 4 series has the looks for me. The 440i B58 is well supported mod wise with a stage 1 taking it to 420bhp (same as stock M4) + a downpipe and stage 2 map you're looking at 450 BHP with a gearbox map for less then £1500. The B58 engine has a mix of forged and cast components (I believe everything is forged other then the pistons which are cast but I may be wrong on that, seems really reliable and refined.

All of the above is just my opinion and im under no illusion that in the case of pounds for smiles the Golf is still king, 360-370 BHP for £18k with heated seats upgraded audio, 4wd, leather, adaptive cruise. I really will miss it.

On 06/12/2022 at 23:52, Djs2394 said:

Hi mate its a 2016 and done 64k miles.

Has Dynaudio, keyless entry and start, pro nav, leather heated seats, DSG, 19" JUDD T311R, pedalbox +, stage 1 unicorn with TVS TCU STAGE 3 map, resonator delete.

Been a great car, it was a difficult making the decision to part with it. I wanted something a bit more"grown up" and I appreciate thats subjective but I feel like the golf mapped stage 1 with aftermarket wheel and a cracks and bangs map has me living my late teens and early 20's which is fine! but I just wanted something a bit more refined, I also have a RWD itch I want to scratch. 

If I had waited a couple more year I probably could of gotten in an M4 competition but I'm 28 now and in a couple years I could have a sprog or two and the M4 dream would go down the drain. I almost went for a BMW 240i but decided against it because I felt like it was the same kind of car as the Golf, small pointy and "chavy" haha I really don't mean that in a bad way. I knew I wanted to B58 engine so a 40i was a must and the 4 series has the looks for me. The 440i B58 is well supported mod wise with a stage 1 taking it to 420bhp (same as stock M4) + a downpipe and stage 2 map you're looking at 450 BHP with a gearbox map for less then £1500. The B58 engine has a mix of forged and cast components (I believe everything is forged other then the pistons which are cast but I may be wrong on that, seems really reliable and refined.

All of the above is just my opinion and im under no illusion that in the case of pounds for smiles the Golf is still king, 360-370 BHP for £18k with heated seats upgraded audio, 4wd, leather, adaptive cruise. I really will miss it.

I see your point re Chavs! 

There again the Golf has a large spectrum of customers at different age groups. Im 55 but nowadays many chavs living at home, smoking Dope at Castle Combe whilst at various car events seem to be a regular sight blighting the car’s image. Not like days of MK1 GTI bought by City yuppies as a daily whilst the Porsche was the weekend car. I’ve got a MK2 16v GTI featured in many mags years ago when I bought the car in 1996 I commissioned Tum Stiles to develop the car as part of his business which built championship winning  GTI’s in the 90’s. The GTI has far more kudos and I get great interest and compliments unlike my R which is just another “yob”

car to “some”😢

The R maybe a classic in 30yrs time and seen as a an extremely capable car for its time and budget which we all know it is. For me I love taking it to trackdays and destroying Porkers and far more expensive machinery and it get people showing a bit more respect it deserves.

Im in no rush to sell and to replace the car and upstage its ability is impossible at the lower end of the budget. The 8R is good in some areas but it’s not lighting my fire. Maybe the R20 is a good car but I think I want something a bit different next time. The 8Y RS3 is nice but expensive and even these are getting into the hands of chavs!

The car that recently caught my eye is F82 M4 CS. They are a nice rare car that a bit hardcore but get good reviews. New Type R look good with good reviews but again £47k! 

Could be a long and hard search for me🤔

AC873407-7700-41A0-8757-74C15173F120.jpeg

C7129134-FF12-450E-83E8-5A16BD888809.jpeg

E611CE44-2F6D-41AF-9E50-B6D905D7F4EA.jpeg

C1C5D792-3091-420B-8F32-D8BC0D752760.jpeg