Weird Ride Racingline Suspension

GB30001

Hi 

I bought a R Estate last week which has the Racingline Shocks and Springs and whilst round town and country roads it rides well at motorway speeds the ride is pretty awful.

It feels really tense and makes the ride feel fidgety almost like you are on a boat at sea.

At 70 ish (and above in Mexico) when you hit a bump in the road the suspension takes it in it's stride you do feel it it isn't harsh and doesn't make the car go offline, it absorbs the bump and settles quickly as expected.

But driving along what seems like a smooth bit of tarmac at motorway speeds the car does not feel like it can cope with anything but a dead smooth surface, could this be preload on the ARB's due to lowering? 

The has some 18 Pret Reps and Bridgestone All weather tyres could the be the issue?

Or is it just the RL suspension kit is rubbish?

I had the same kit on my old R32 and it was fine which is why having it on the car was a positive.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks 

• 2 weeks later...

In my experience on road and track Racingline Springs on the “hatch” do work well with DCC. It certainly helps when the factory Monroe DCC shocks were fresh but the ride height over time reduced making it less fun over bumpy B roads.

That was all rectified into a totally different experience when I fitted Ohlins R&T.

The 2 way KW Clubsports were a good set up on my other cars but not as comfy as the Ohlins which use a special bypass valve.

Thanks for the responses. 

I went for the car as I had decent experience with the same setup on my MK5 R32 which also had superpro front arms and H&R ARB's.

Had plenty of different setups over the years (3 sets of Bilstein B12's, Koni's with Eibach's, KW V1 and AST Coilovers) not sure how long I will be able to live with it but it may just push the Ohlins I have always lusted over being fitted quicker.

Awesome had some B16 Ride Controls for £1500 black Friday deal but they were for the hatch.

Anyone tried the Bilstein Evo S?? 

On 26/11/2022 at 13:54, Cootie said:

Not got experience with the RL spring and damper combination, but did previously have the springs on my R Estate and couldn’t wait to get rid - bouncy, fidgety and bottomed out really easily - now got Bilstein B16 which are a night and day improvement. 

Exactly how I find it, glad to know it is the suspension and not anything deeper

On 29/11/2022 at 15:30, GB30001 said:

Thanks for the responses. 

I went for the car as I had decent experience with the same setup on my MK5 R32 which also had superpro front arms and H&R ARB's.

Had plenty of different setups over the years (3 sets of Bilstein B12's, Koni's with Eibach's, KW V1 and AST Coilovers) not sure how long I will be able to live with it but it may just push the Ohlins I have always lusted over being fitted quicker.

Awesome had some B16 Ride Controls for £1500 black Friday deal but they were for the hatch.

Anyone tried the Bilstein Evo S?? 

I think you’ll find the Evo S aren’t available for the Estate (yet at least). Did plenty of research before I got mine and it was Bilstein B16 or KW V3 if you’re wanting adjustable coilovers. Ohlin Road and Track (which my mate has on a few of his cars and which are excellent) are hatch only, as far as I was able to determine. 

On 29/11/2022 at 00:51, Msportman said:

In my experience on road and track Racingline Springs on the “hatch” do work well with DCC. It certainly helps when the factory Monroe DCC shocks were fresh but the ride height over time reduced making it less fun over bumpy B roads.

That was all rectified into a totally different experience when I fitted Ohlins R&T.

The 2 way KW Clubsports were a good set up on my other cars but not as comfy as the Ohlins which use a special bypass valve.

Ian if you can’t afford to get the Ohlins what would you say is the next best alternative.

1 hour ago, Lee57 said:

Ian if you can’t afford to get the Ohlins what would you say is the next best alternative.

KWV3’s

KW Clubsports are heading towards £3k and 3 way’s £4K +

AST’s are very good.

I think Awesome had Ohlins on offer as I know there were recent price increases but my advice would be to save for the Ohlins. Well worth the experience and ride quality is in another league.

You could go B14 with Eibach Springs which would be fixed height but is a cheaper alternative.

18 hours ago, Msportman said:

KWV3’s

KW Clubsports are heading towards £3k and 3 way’s £4K +

AST’s are very good.

I think Awesome had Ohlins on offer as I know there were recent price increases but my advice would be to save for the Ohlins. Well worth the experience and ride quality is in another league.

You could go B14 with Eibach Springs which would be fixed height but is a cheaper alternative.

Thanks Ian