Anyone know the paint colour code for standard Cadiz alloys for mark 7 golf r as I chipped my rim :(

Timmymeads

@Timmymeads - as @Ignition1 has said, the shiny metal face of the Cadiz alloys is diamond cut and not painted, and to remove the damage usually requires the wheel to be refurbished;

• stripped back to bare metal and new alloy welded into the damaged area if required 
  • powder coat primer applied, baked, then the entire wheel painted black and baked again to cure the paint
  • the face re-cut on a diamond cutting lathe to expose the machined surface
  • the face of the wheel given a coat of protective lacquer. 

The cost of a top quality refurb at today’s prices by a reputable wheel refurb company would probably be in the region of £100 - £120 plus VAT. There may be an additional charge to remove and refit the tyre and balance the wheel. 

If the damage is very minor, IMHO it’s probably not worth spending £100 plus for a full refurb. I’d be inclined to just get some clear lacquer and apply it to any damage / unprotected alloy to prevent the onset of white worm corrosion. 

I’ve never carried out a DIY repair on a diamond cut alloy so can’t really confirm what grade abrasive paper you’d need to use. The extent of the damage will also be a factor in deciding how coarse or fine the grade needs to be. However, as @BobbyT has suggested, I’d definitely try polishing the damaged area first before resorting to sanding. 

If you decide that sanding is necessary, assuming the damage on your wheel is only light, I’d start with a ‘medium’ grade and work down though finer grades so if the initial medium grade leaves any sanding marks, hopefully the finer grades will remove those marks prior to applying the lacquer for protection of the bare alloy. I’d also use wet and dry paper and not sandpaper and I’d mask off the surrounding area prior to sanding so you don’t sand any undamaged areas. 

The guy in this YouTube video looks to have achieved a decent result in using the above approach to sanding. He’s not applied any lacquer protection and I’d strongly advise that you do to prevent the onset of white worm - especially if you’re based in the UK, bearing in mind the UK climate.

As for lacquering; if the damage is no larger than a stone chip then you could use a clear lacquer touch up pencil. If it’s a larger area, you might want to consider spraying using an aerosol can rather than touching in with a brush, as you’ll get a better finish (provided your spraying technique is good). If you’ve not used aerosol paint cans before, I’d recommend you practice on something other than your alloy first to perfect a good spraying technique. Accurate masking up is important too, to avoid overspray on areas you don’t want to apply the lacquer to. Prior to spraying ensure the prepared area on the wheel is clean and free of dust by wiping over with a panel wipe on a microfibre cloth. 

There are lots of videos on YouTube of DIY diamond cut alloy repairs, which show the masking up and spraying techniques used. I’d recommend watching a few before tackling your repair. 

Good luck! 🤞