Aviva less than half the price of Admiral

Dickie-D

Admiral tried it on with a ridiculous renewal price of £1,250 for my 2018 Golf R. That is a 56% increase from last year and 104% more than two years ago.

I'm in my 50s with no endorsements/convictions, 11 years NCD, but one claim for a stolen catalytic converter on a 21 year old MX-5 that was written off as a consequence.

I switched to Aviva and paid £560 for:
Comprehensive cover (social, domestic and pleasure)
6,000 miles per year
Wife as an additional driver
Free legal cover
Protected NCD
Personal injury cover increased to £120,000

The only drawback is a high compulsory excess of £750 compared to Admiral's compulsory excess of £350.

I was with Aviva for a couple of years as they were competitive but then the year before last wanted 30% more at renewal so I did all the usual searches and ended up a bit cheaper than the previous year with General Accident who are a brand style of ....Aviva!

Car Insurance is a lottery  every year you get to play the renewal game.

I went with Aviva this year. Didn't seem as many competitive quotes this year beyond Aviva with known companies. 

If you go via GoCompare they insure £250 of excess.  ie You pay it but can claim it back in effect reducing your excess by £250.

https://www.gocompare.com/free-excess-protection-cover/

1250 seems pricey.  Is it a London thing?

On 07/12/2022 at 21:28, Richard_Nottm said:

I went with Aviva this year. Didn't seem as many competitive quotes this year beyond Aviva with known companies. 

If you go via GoCompare they insure £250 of excess.  ie You pay it but can claim it back in effect reducing your excess by £250.

https://www.gocompare.com/free-excess-protection-cover/

1250 seems pricey.  Is it a London thing?

I'm sure it is a London thing as well as insurance companies trying it on with customers who are just too lazy to shop around. They say the Golf R is a thief magnet, but in London there are far more expensive cars for thieves to target. Mercedes and Lexus seem to be popular with the tea leaves around my area.