My New M135i X-drive F40

JaseW

After switching out my 8R this time last year for an i20N, I have now swapped that for an M135i F40 X-Drive and so far I am loving it! 

Having owned it for around 2 weeks now, I can honestly say the interior feel is a huge step up from the 8R, no scratchy panels to speak of, and the mix of touch screen, touch sensitive buttons and physical buttons is a perfect set up IMO. The I-drive system controller is superb and is so easy and intuitive to use that both my 5-year old and 9-year old kids can happy navigate through the options to find their choice in music on any media type (Apple CarPlay, USB or BT). 

The eight memory preset buttons are a great addition, they look and feel like a physical button but they are also touch/proximity sensitive too. You can set each preset button up to take you to any level of any option field within the infotainment system.

I am also finding the stop start system a completely different experience to the 8R and i20N, which as you all know are one of the first things that get turned off in the 8R at start up. I can barely tell the engine has actually cut out, only by looking at the rev counter can I notice it has cut out most of the time, there is no jerkiness or cutting out as you are rolling to a stop and jumping back into life a split second later feeling that plagues every other SS system I have experienced.

The dash is well laid out, I am still getting used to where info can be found on it as it is very different, like the rev counter seems to go up in a back to front direction to other setups in the digital dashed R or i20N, but I do like how it all looks. 

The HUD is something else compared to the 8R too, so much clearer and larger readouts too, whilst not being a distraction either, you can have loads of info on there, speed, distance, Nav, media files and you as you navigate through the infotainment system using the I-drive selector, the options show you are flicking through also shows up in the HUD to if its music or phone book etc which is super helpful and means you aren't taking your eyes off the road. 

A neat feature it has is that it knows if you have passengers left in the car when you stop the engine and get out yourself, lets say if you get out and refuel or pop into a shop etc and it leaves all the infotainment system turned on, so the passenger can still listen to music, or have the fans on for example. It can also lock the car from the outside whilst leaving the passengers inside without the alarm system kicking in and ending up setting itself off with the movement from the passengers etc. 

The believe the gesture control is good too from what I have seen on you tube, it uses the proximity sensors in the roof lining and infotainment system (I think), although I have only seen it being used and not used it myself yet. 

The drive itself is decent, there are a lot of people in the BM world who say the the new gearbox isn't very good when compared to the previous box in the F20, but having never experienced that old box, I cannot comment on whether it was better or not but I have had no issues with the box in this one. It seems smooth, responsive and kicks down fairly quickly when you plant your right foot. 

I have 19's with 235/35/19 Conti sport contact 6 BMW star rated tyres and where I live in town, there are some pretty horrific speed bumps every 20metres and when out on the bumpy A/B-roads the ride is comfortable and not harsh at all despite not having BMW's DCC system, which you can only have with the standard 18's. You do still get Sport and Comfort modes. 

The seats are super comfy, and the driving position is perfectly set up with the angle of controls and views. 

The spec is pretty high and is as follows: As you will be aware BMW do 'packs'. 

Misano Blue Metallic paint

Full Dakota Leather

Tech Pack - Adaptive LED headlight with full beam assist, enhanced bluetooth and wireless charging, HUD, Park assist, reverse assist, WiFi hotspot, Wireless CarPlay

Comfort Pack - Keyless including approach and walk away unlocking/locking, heated seats, heated steering wheel, electric bootlid and electric front memory seats, digital key

Pro Pack - H&K Speaker System, 19" 557M Alloys, sun protection glass

Driving Assistant Lane Departure Warning, Approach Control and Pedestrian Warning with City Braking function, Rear Crossing-traffic Warning and Rear Collision Prevention (It should have Blind Spot Detection with this but that was cut due to the Semi-conductor issues I believe) 

I have decided to take the paint correction and detailing on myself with this one after having it done professionally on my 8R and i20N, It has some swirls and other marks on it, so I am slowly getting through all the stages slow time. 

So far I have sealed the Dakota leather and interior trim, ceramic coated the alloys, carried out a full decontamination wash, fallout and tar removal, and fully clay barred, followed by a temporary spray on sealant to add a little protection until the weather warms up a bit before I attack it with the DA polisher and carry out a full paint correction, seal and protection. I am looking to go down the wax direction this time around. 

So far I am more than happy with it, only time will tell how reliable it will be, it is a BMW used car as it has the one previous owner, and BMW Warrington gave me an extra 3 year unlimited mileage warranty on it too, which will take it beyond the normal 3-year standard warranty to 6-years old. This includes, above the normal electrical and mechanical parts failure, full BMW breakdown cover, cost of parts stemming from that breakdown, MOT parts failure cover, wheel refurbishment and tyre replacement - it doesn't cover normal wear and tear but does give a discount off new tyres, but does fully cover punctures/blow outs). 

I also spoke with my local BMW centre and took out their service pack plan as follows: £1100 which is a saving of around £400 over standalone prices and covers me until 2027.

2 x Major Services

1 x Minor Services

MOT

9 x seasonal health check services (Bi-annual checks) 

2 x Brake Fluid services 

Map and Software updates

Free fluid top ups 

(wash and vac is included too but I will not be taking those up)

The only things I am considering changing are the grill surround, front bumper vent trim, mirror covers and rear badges all to the black kit, but not sure yet as the front bumper needs to be removed to change the grill and vent trims. Not sure if I want to disturb all that just yet, I am capable, but it often requires multiple hands on and bumpers are notorious for being temperamental and not quite going back on properly, so I may ask my local centre what they would charge for doing it. I'll prob do the rear badges myself as a minimum though. 

image.jpeg

IMG_1460.jpeg

FB40BA9A-9F3C-40BC-948F-96B50B7606B2.jpg

IMG_1466.jpeg

9B3BA4D4-2F40-4A6A-84F6-AB5F16B272CC.jpg

Congrats on the new motor Jase.  Looking great, and nice to see someone taking on the DIY detailing.   Well worth the effort.  

Great to hear you’re enjoying the 135i and it’s ticking all your boxes.  Sounds like the move away from the 8R was the right one for you.  

Some of us still love ours though. 😱 😂

Sounds great.  Lots of features you like are very familiar as they gave been in BMWs for years (I had 4 in a row before my current car) and I agree with you.  Gesture control is a bit of a gimmick, but I did fine being able to quickly mute the radio (as there isn’t a button on the wheel any more) regularly useful.. 

One negative you’ve not pointed out is the Dakota leather, which is one of the least leather like leather I’ve had in a car and just gets worse with age no matter how much you try and look after it.  After having it on a 130i and 5 series company car, following 2 BMWs had Nappa leather.   I don’t know why they haven’t changed it to Vernasca as they have in the 3/4 series, it’s still not great but much better and not a deal breaker for me like Dakota is. 

20 minutes ago, Martin2 said:

Sounds great.  Lots of features you like are very familiar as they gave been in BMWs for years (I had 4 in a row before my current car) and I agree with you.  Gesture control is a bit of a gimmick, but I did fine being able to quickly mute the radio (as there isn’t a button on the wheel any more) regularly useful.. 

One negative you’ve not pointed out is the Dakota leather, which is one of the least leather like leather I’ve had in a car and just gets worse with age no matter how much you try and look after it.  After having it on a 130i and 5 series company car, following 2 BMWs had Nappa leather.   I don’t know why they haven’t changed it to Vernasca as they have in the 3/4 series, it’s still not great but much better and not a deal breaker for me like Dakota is. 

Ah yes, I was getting married away with all the bits I do like! haha

I agree, the  Dakota leather does has have quite a leather-less look to it doesn't it. I am happy with it at the mo though. If it goes utterly t*ts up I will look to have them re-trimmed if need be. One bad point in the i20N was the fake leather on the side bolsters, I had covered 7000 miles and they had visible signs of wearing through! I am not the largest of people by any stretch of the imagination being 5'9" and 68-71kg, and very careful getting in/out. I hope the Dakota isn't going to be like that. It definitely feels better. 

OOo I may have to look at the gesture control for mute as I haven't seen a mute button as of yet either, unless I am 'man-looking' for it. haha

It will last, it’s either made from elephant or rhino! 😂

You can configure the “2 pointing fingers’ (whatever it’s called….) to do a few things, one is mute infotainment.  I quite liked the dismissive wave of the hand to reject a call too.  Volume is pointless as it’s much quicker and easier to use the buttons on the wheel.

I have always been a Golf man but until VW sort out all the Gremlins in the 8 I won't be entertaining the idea of coming back. 
I did consider going back to the 7.5 though, as that was perfect and simply worked. 

I do wonder if the 8.5 will see a return of physical buttons like I have read somewhere. 

The I-drive is a great system. I really like the fact it recognises handwritten notes done by my fingertip on the joystick. 

Have been an 128Ti for a month now, and there is a lot to like, the engine is super smooth, as is the power delivery, and you look at speedo and think really?! you would never guess you going that quick on how it gets you there. 

Had DCC for 9 years in my Golfs, and would say the standard set up is between normal and comfort on compliance over the bumps and ruts, but still nice and flat on a sweeping bend. 

The interior is just lovely and the media set up and interaction is exceptional. 

One aspect not got used to, and even do not like is the gear selector, much prefer the DSG experience, and as good and able as auto park is, its too slow! 

But really stacks up against my outgoing TCR in terms of performance and sits above on the comfort aspect, though actually maybe too good, maybe too cossetted in the cabin? still deciding? 

My first BMW, and its a really good attempt at providing the GTI experience, my main hope, and maybe more than, due to the interior luster. 

Can still see a MK 7 TCR or an R in my future though, think this BMW will be an experience ticking exercise and then back to what really love. 

We are more than 2.5yrs and almost 50k Km into ownership of m135i and have ordered another one to replace it at end of lease. 

I still have my stage 2 7R which is great fun drive and sounds awesome. The bmw in sports mode is great with sharp throttle response, decent exhaust note, I think the trans works well and car handles great. One reason I added the eibach springs to the R as I felt the bmw was more planted. I feel there is min turbo lag and the torque is very strong for 2L 4cy. I had driven m140i in past and wasn’t a fan much preferred the Audi s3 as package so ended up having 2 a pre and post FL. 

The interior and features of the bmw are spot on I love the heads up display, radar cruise, panoramic sunroof, stereo system, even the heated steering wheel a nice touch. 

Out of all the cars we’ve had the bmw by far the best. The only issue is brakes don’t last long. 40k Km had to change front and rears. 

I test drove the new m240i recently due to wanting to see/feel the difference in the trans and 3L engine and the improvement was only marginal in normal driving conditions to point I couldn’t justify the $25k price difference. The m240i bloody good looking car though! 

I haven’t driven an 8R only seen them from outside and look great and reviews on the drive etc all positive but didn’t call me to pick over another bmw. Thankfully now it’s 5yr warranty so 5yr lease with smaller balloon at end again close to fully optioned just without M sport kit. Blue again as I think it looks great. I also get the 5yr corporate servicing so it’s good deal. Prices gone up fair amount or more lack of discount compared to 3yrs ago but that was same with few cars i priced with leasing. 

Glad you’re happy with it, I know many previous m140i owners came across and love it once they got past whinging about not being the 3L and RWD. Have to forget reviews and just drive yourself with open mind. 

So far not had any issues or warranty work. 

Graeme