Golf mk 8.5 news

mpv

9 hours ago, AHG said:

True, I was referring to the Touareg.

I do think the 8.5 R will also keep the haptic, as opposed to 8.5 GTI.

I truly hope to see a better version of it in 2028,

and not a revert to decades old click button wheel.

The GTI gets buttons and the R gets haptic, seriously?

On 30/05/2024 at 05:27, Booth11 said:

hate radar back in lower front grill but I really do think that is do do with some of the issues so perhaps needs must case.  

On 30/05/2024 at 01:36, Nighthawk said:

i don't mind the radar being lower if it means it's less problematic.

What problems with the radar? I have not heard of any ACC errors with MK8 R’s. There are way more issues with cars that have it in the lower grills from impacts and weather.

8 hours ago, Geeza said:

The GTI gets buttons and the R gets haptic, seriously?

Not 100%. There are rumour of the new steering wheel with buttons (and R button for the R). There could be gloss black buttons, and it's going to look almost the same as the haptic one. Honestly, I don't understand why they kept the same steering wheel for the all models.

The wheel that was shown in January was much better (obviously, those reviews were filmed back in mid-2023).

Знімок екрана 2024-06-01 о 09.00.03.png

2 hours ago, blizzard60 said:

What problems with the radar? I have not heard of any ACC errors with MK8 R’s. There are way more issues with cars that have it in the lower grills from impacts and weather.

I had lots of issues with my radar this winter. It was really cold (-10 and lower) and we had tons of snow. I can't remember having that much trouble with ACC on my Golf 7.

2 hours ago, blizzard60 said:

The radar is very susceptible to cold temps and throwing up Front assist errors (plus other assist errors) that may well be genuine but it doesn’t take much to trigger them, and that’s in relatively mild UK winter times do not the lows of some parts of Europe and certainly not those experienced in NA.  

I don’t think I had a single front assist warning in my mk 7 over the 5.5 years I had it. 

The move of the radar back to a lower position might not be to do with that and might only be because of the illuminated VW badge, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it was related.  

40 minutes ago, Dogman12 said:

Not 100%. There are rumour of the new steering wheel with buttons (and R button for the R). There could be gloss black buttons, and it's going to look almost the same as the haptic one. Honestly, I don't understand why they kept the same steering wheel for the all models.

The wheel that was shown in January was much better (obviously, those reviews were filmed back in mid-2023).

Знімок екрана 2024-06-01 о 09.00.03.png

For VW (and other car manufacturers) and their ‘bean counters’, it’ll be all about cost efficiencies and improving bottom line profits.

Using the same steering wheel for all models probably brings a small cost saving, and using common parts across a model range will also mean production efficiencies. Small savings per vehicle = large savings overall.

I highly doubt they would retain a haptic steering wheel just for the R if all the other models are reverting to a wheel with buttons even if they are all updated to gloss black as in the pic above.  For the reasons @R_wannabe_owner says above, they only have one base wheel.  I’d would love and hope to be wrong, as I’m one of the (minority?) who loves the haptic steering wheel and will be sad to see it go if it does.  But I can see that all the issues and complaints may have sealed its fate.  

1 hour ago, AHG said:

I hope the mk 9 will have capacitive or haptic steering wheel, and that they will be as good as the mk 8 or better. I’m not going back to clickers.

If VW have reverted back to conventional steering wheel buttons for the mk8.5 because haptics were disliked by (the majority of?) customers, then I’d be surprised if VW change it back again to capacitive or haptic for the mk9. 

Happy to be proved wrong though. 

I absolutely despise haptic inputs on the steering wheel, buttons all the way for me. For what I’ve seen on the GTI Clubsport steering wheel I’m happy with….in fact the car looks pretty good…..although I prefer the side badges to remain on the wings as opposed to the doors.

I hope they go back to haptic, and despite the reverse they did now (which I think was for popularity points, to make people feel heard), I think they will come back on track, but would just need to do a good job of it, so the history-lovers in the crowd will be happy as well.

A majority of makers are going that way (even Ferrari) and do more and more haptic components, it will undoubtedly be part of automotive future, question is in what form and timing.

https://www.carscoops.com/2020/05/mercedes-gets-all-touchy-feely-about-the-e-class-new-capacitive-steering-wheel/

https://www.pocket-lint.com/cars/news/hyundai/148056-hyundai-cockpit-of-the-future-puts-haptic-displays-on-the-steering-wheel/

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/technology-news/under-skin-how-touchscreens-give-haptic-feedback

https://www.valeo.com/en/catalogue/cda/steering-wheel-switches/

I highly doubt they would retain a haptic steering wheel just for the R if all the other models are reverting to a wheel with buttons even if they are all updated to gloss black as in the pic above.  For the reasons [mention=26448]R_wannabe_owner[/mention] says above, they only have one base wheel.  I’d would love and hope to be wrong, as I’m one of the (minority?) who loves the haptic steering wheel and will be sad to see it go if it does.  But I can see that all the issues and complaints may have sealed its fate.  

We Have them on the Cupra Born and I like em.
Once you understand how to best use them that is and I’ve only had a couple of instances whereby I’ve accidentally touched one, you get used to them after a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk