Pot hole damage.

McDoogle

Hi guys,

This morning my partner was unfortunate enough to come across a sizeable pothole in her brand new polo gti.(72 plate with 1k on the clock)

Upon going through it, it's blown her tire at a minimum.

Has anyone had experience with claiming back damages resulted from a pot hole? If so, what's the best method of claiming back(durham if it helps) and what information do I need before claiming.

The wheel does look OK but I'll let the dealer confirm when they pop a new tire on. Should I ask them to check anything else?

I'm conscious of going over the top with the dealer on the off chance that the council won't pay out.

Included a picture of the pot hole for reference, lucky missed it in the r20 when going to swap her tire out!

20230327_081811.jpg

1 hour ago, McDoogle said:

Found the impact point on the wheel, it has damaged the alloy too all be it slightly. Confirmed the tire doesn't hold pressure as it looks to have torn the Beeding.

20230327_203704.jpg

Bloody potholes!  They’re everywhere.  Roads are in a shocking state.  Bet Mrs McDoogle was annoyed/upset about it.  Feel her pain, I just had to have tyre (had all four done) replaced as a result of pothole damage and there’s a slight buckle in the wheel too (repairable), and alignment is being checked this week.  

I’ve never claimed myself but I think you can only make a claim if the council has already had the pothole reported but not repaired it in reasonable time.  The info in these threads  might be helpful.

I hit a pothole a few weeks back which nicked the inside wall of a new Goodyear Asymmetric 6 rendering it scrap. I followed the steps on one of the help websites, took photos supplied all the details of where and when it all happened but the council hide behind legislations. They quoted me section 58 of the road traffic act (i think) that’s states that the hole had been inspected and was classes as not urgent. The fact it was on the ‘to do list’ meant they rejected my claim. 

I did put in a request under the freedom of information to get hold of the reports and when inspections had taken place but there is so much red tape I just gave up!

best of luck with it, I hope you have better success than I did. 

Thanks,

I've submitted a foi request asking for the information around the inspection and maintenance on the road for the last 4 months. Surely its not much to ask! 

I'll be popping through the road again tomorrow(being mindful of not going through it with the r20!) To get a depth and size measurement as evidence.

Either way a new tire is going to be needed, hopefully the alloy isn't bent or cracked or its gunna be an expensive repair including a new wheel, tire, tracking and worst case it may have even damaged some of the suspension. That's worst case though, I'm hoping just a new tire and a very small mark on the alloy which you can't see unless you know where it is.

11 hours ago, Kevmoz said:

I hit a pothole a few weeks back which nicked the inside wall of a new Goodyear Asymmetric 6 rendering it scrap. I followed the steps on one of the help websites, took photos supplied all the details of where and when it all happened but the council hide behind legislations. They quoted me section 58 of the road traffic act (i think) that’s states that the hole had been inspected and was classes as not urgent. The fact it was on the ‘to do list’ meant they rejected my claim. 

I did put in a request under the freedom of information to get hold of the reports and when inspections had taken place but there is so much red tape I just gave up!

best of luck with it, I hope you have better success than I did. 

This is exactly what the council want you to do which is why they make it so hard to claim.

It's like anything in life, if you want something enough you'll put in the work for it. I did and got almost 2k worth of wheel / tyres etc from them.

39 minutes ago, TheBlondeFella said:

This is exactly what the council want you to do which is why they make it so hard to claim.

It's like anything in life, if you want something enough you'll put in the work for it. I did and got almost 2k worth of wheel / tyres etc from them.

Good to know it can be done then, as much as they make it a pain to do.

My partner drove through the same road thus morning and couldn't find it so it may have been filled yesterday afternoon mere hours after she hit it. I'll still be going through to see if I can find it though.

I've done similar damage before with a curb. Wheel looked fine until they tried to do an alignment. So worth getting it checked at least.

IIRC, but could have changed or be down to local policy, but anything over 40mm deep is usually an emergency repair for a council - and here's the get out clause - once they're aware of it.

Well they filled the pot hole last night, probably because it was clearly well past the 40mm depth. I'd say it was at least 120mm depth.

It also means I didn't get a snippet of the pot hole with the tape measure to verify the depth making it more difficult to claim.

Couldn't get the car in for the tire until next Wednesday so we shall see if the wheel is also damaged.

Going through this process the now, waited 8 weeks to be told they don't want to cover me as the road was inspected within the 3 month time period they set out. I've asked for a copy of the inspection report and will be taking it as far as possible. When making my claim I was asked to provide information such as the road, pictures of the damage, the pothole, receipts on the cost of repairs, and any lamppost signs to determine where on the road the pothole was. Get as much information as possible and if you've got the time then keep haggling them until you get something out of it. It's an absolute farce that we have to a have a vehicle which is roadworthy but when the road isn't vehicle worthy we don't get anything back from it.

Not worth the hassle to claim. Went through the process before with Glasgow council and the result was basically that they inspected the road at the required intervals and as soon as they were made aware of the pothole (when I hit it) they came out and completed an emergency repair.

Going through this myself at the moment with Edinburgh City Council after hitting a very similar pothole to the OP and suffering almost identical damage. I think I am on the 4th different body within following their claims process. Submitted the claim form along with the photos they asked for but because the email had attachments it has been classed as a blocked mail by the councils IT dept.

Its almost like they don't want people to claim!😵

On 27/03/2023 at 19:06, McDoogle said:

Hi guys,

This morning my partner was unfortunate enough to come across a sizeable pothole in her brand new polo gti.(72 plate with 1k on the clock)

Upon going through it, it's blown her tire at a minimum.

Has anyone had experience with claiming back damages resulted from a pot hole? If so, what's the best method of claiming back(durham if it helps) and what information do I need before claiming.

The wheel does look OK but I'll let the dealer confirm when they pop a new tire on. Should I ask them to check anything else?

I'm conscious of going over the top with the dealer on the off chance that the council won't pay out.

Included a picture of the pot hole for reference, lucky missed it in the r20 when going to swap her tire out!

20230327_081811.jpg

Same thing happened me in the process of claiming

Potholes are a joke atm. I hit a couple really bad ones in my local area over the past week. Went to get the wheels checked as  I knew in the back of my mind they had done some damage, and as I had thought, I have three buckled wheels😤...its an actual joke. Went round and took pictures, which they look like they have been reported having been circled and marked but still not filled yet. I will be submitting my claim in the next day.