Ladder Freefall …don’t ask me how I don’t have a damaged Wagon. 😱

Wagon R

4 hours ago, Wagon R said:

That was close!   Could have been a lot of damage.  

But who in their right mind puts a long ladder up on such a windy day and without anyone anchoring the bottom.  Depending on what they’re doing they might require scaffolding or a tower working at height.  I hope the neighbour told you what happened in person.  If not I hope that you’ll be having some words with them. 

I had just two minutes before parked the car after getting home with the dog! There was the fella on the drive and unknown to me, another on the roof. They were fixing the stink pipe moulding. I went around the side through the back gate to hose the dog down and while I was seeing to him I heard a clatter …minute or two later I looked on camera and noticed the plastic sheet next to the car! I didn’t remember dodging it when I got out of the car so assumed it had blown over and went to ask if it had hit the car! The second lad from the roof was now at the foot of the ladder, he said it had just missed, and as I handed it back he said “it was the ladder that fell, the wind took it, but don’t worry we’ll fix the tiles before we leave” …looked around and saw two of the tiles on the edge of the porch had shifted from the impact (you can just see it happen in the video). “AND IT NEVER HIT THE CAR??” I asked again, now inspecting the rear end and roof thoroughly. He said it never, I said okay, and came inside to look at the video. I couldn’t believe it. They knocked my door to let me know they’d fixed the roof tiles and after I approved they left! The neighbour came round as soon as they’d gone and said she’d seen the ladder fall from her window and was horrified! She asked if I wanted their details to make a claim or report them. I told her it had missed the car and they’d fixed the tiles on the porch, so I was happy with it. She said they should have known it was too windy for a ladder.

The very least they should have done was lash the ladder to the house - windy or not! It’s the minimum requirement of working at height these days! So if anyone else sees the dark van parked across from their home, Park the car at a safe distance …they can’t be this lucky twice. 😩

1 hour ago, mpv said:

Clearly they didn’t give a flying fig about your car from the look of the nonchalant reaction…   And fig is my nice word in lieu of the other f bonb…

In their defence…and I probably have no right to defend them… My drive was empty when they set up (I was out for over an hour) and I’d only just got home so they were probably close to finishing when it happened and wouldn’t have had any idea I would be home so soon.

The young chap on the drive is obviously more interested in what’s happening on his phone, which is the case with the majority of youth in this day and age! I don’t like that and if I were his boss, the phone would be in his pocket and he’d be footing the ladder. His reaction is also typical of today’s youth - calm in the face of impending doom ..or frozen in fear, take your pick. 🤣

Our young need to be taught that WORK is exactly what it sounds like! It takes effort to do well! Catching up w/ mates is what you do on breaks.

2 hours ago, Wagon R said:

In their defence…and I probably have no right to defend them… My drive was empty when they set up (I was out for over an hour) and I’d only just got home so they were probably close to finishing when it happened and wouldn’t have had any idea I would be home so soon.

The young chap on the drive is obviously more interested in what’s happening on his phone, which is the case with the majority of youth in this day and age! I don’t like that and if I were his boss, the phone would be in his pocket and he’d be footing the ladder. His reaction is also typical of today’s youth - calm in the face of impending doom ..or frozen in fear, take your pick. 🤣

Our young need to be taught that WORK is exactly what it sounds like! It takes effort to do well! Catching up w/ mates is what you do on breaks.

The ladder needed to land on his phone - only then would you have seen the horror on his face and heard the screams of despair.

3 hours ago, Wagon R said:

They should still have done a mental reassess of the risk when you parked up.   

Yes, none of us in this thread are using social media/forums during working hours.  🤐 😆  But you're right.  The youth of today!  😁  Though it's not exclusive to the younger gen, or the manual labour sector, I've sat in many a public work meeting with local politicians supposedly representing their constitutes (who are also present), but they are actually more interested in looking at their phones throughout.  But then I'm sure that's not a surprise.   Mind you some of these meetings are mind numbingly dull. 😆

25 minutes ago, Booth11 said:

They should still have done a mental reassess of the risk when you parked up.   

Yes, none of us in this thread are using social media/forums during working hours.  🤐 😆  But you're right.  The youth of today!  😁  Though it's not exclusive to the younger gen, or the manual labour sector, I've sat in many a public work meeting with local politicians supposedly representing their constitutes (who are also present), but they are actually more interested in looking at their phones throughout.  But then I'm sure that's not a surprise.   Mind you some of these meetings are mind numbingly dull. 😆

I don’t disagree with you, but if I had a pound for every time I’ve narrowly avoided disaster - whether my own fault or not, I’d be a member of the Bentley forums and my nearest neighbour would be a boat ride away. 😁

I’m old enough to know it’s not worth getting mad over something that “coulda, woulda or shoulda” happened, but didn’t! I choose to see the positive outcome and take it as a blessing instead and pass some of that blessing on by not reporting them. 😉

1 hour ago, Wagon R said:

I don’t disagree with you, but if I had a pound for every time I’ve narrowly avoided disaster - whether my own fault or not, I’d be a member of the Bentley forums and my nearest neighbour would be a boat ride away. 😁

I’m old enough to know it’s not worth getting mad over something that “coulda, woulda or shoulda” happened, but didn’t! I choose to see the positive outcome and take it as a blessing instead and pass some of that blessing on by not reporting them. 😉

I understand your approach and you have to live next to them so it’s always best if possible to find a positive way forward to keep neighbourly harmony.  I hope the people doing the ladder work have learned a lesson though as someone else might not have such a narrow escape in future.  

Now, when are you getting that Bentley?   😁  Or something actually desirable. 😂