100% Gremlin Free Anyone?

TurboTrev

Got our estate end of January, don’t know the build date but was registered 16th December 2022, was a demo but only 20 miles on the clock, I think with Xmas etc nobody really had a test drive, it’s now done 11000 miles and not a sound, issue, had an update a couple of months ago and still running fine.

The only small issue, nothing to do with the car, was in a narrow lane and a suv coming the other way couldn’t wait and scratched and a grove on the mirror. Had a chips away type company come out, repair was good but he couldn’t colour match it, went that way as I enquired about a new cover from VW.

Few weeks later had an email from the sale manager at the dealer how we were getting on with the car, was completely honest about it, we loved it, our first 8 and two 7.5’s and, to us anyway, far superior to the 7.5, how ever, shocked at the price of the silver mirror cover, received a reply within 20 mins say how please he was that we like the car but was unable to do anything about the price of the cover, I told him think it was very unreasonable to charge that much when I had just spent over  £41000 with him. I did point out that I had booked a test in a mk8 hatch, up for £39000 and I would be cancelling that, no reply after that. £174 for a piece of plastic, don’t think so, I sourced a genuine second hand one for £40 and fitted it myself.

32 minutes ago, Captjack said:

Got our estate end of January, don’t know the build date but was registered 16th December 2022, was a demo but only 20 miles on the clock, I think with Xmas etc nobody really had a test drive, it’s now done 11000 miles and not a sound, issue, had an update a couple of months ago and still running fine.

That's really good to hear, thanks.

• 4 months later...

Thread resurrection (again).  Similar question as before to those that have taken delivery of an 8R 20 years in the last couple of months.  Have you had any issues, gremlins etc., even minor ones, since taking delivery, or have you been completely trouble free? 

Although I cancelled my R20, I'm still contemplating buying one of the many cancelled orders that are knocking about.  Thanks.

On 14/02/2024 at 13:40, TurboTrev said:

Thread resurrection (again).  Similar question as before to those that have taken delivery of an 8R 20 years in the last couple of months.  Have you had any issues, gremlins etc., even minor ones, since taking delivery, or have you been completely trouble free? 

Although I cancelled my R20, I'm still contemplating buying one of the many cancelled orders that are knocking about.  Thanks.

Without wishing to tempt fate, 2k miles on a Dec 23 delivered car and thus far hassle free. 

On 14/02/2024 at 13:40, TurboTrev said:

Apart from having the front interior light assembly changed to stop the car dialling for a breakdown intermittently my august delivery R20 has been trouble free 

^^^Thanks for all your the replies.  Looking on forums and facebook etc.  I get the impression that the R20s seem to be essentially error free compared to non R20s.  Mmmm, do I risk buying a discounted R20 or wait for the 8.5 which may or may be not gremlin free?  Also, will the 8.5 cost a lot more?  A dealer has an identical spec R20 to the one I cancelled, decisions, decisions! 

I used to be so decisive when buying VWs, I have ordered most of mine without so much as a test drive.  Those were the days (if only everything in life was as reliable as a VW).  Blinking gremlins have a lot to answer for!

No software gremlins however I’ve had an engine management light on since Nov last year. Car has been in and out of VW and still no further forward. They changed a valve of some sort over 3 weeks ago that involved draining the coolant and the car broke down a couple of days later. Basically coolant cap blew off with coolant spraying all over engine bay and level dropped. Dash was like a Xmas tree. Car was recovered over 3 weeks ago and is still with VW with no end in sight, engine management light still on. Think the issue is more a general problem rather than R 20 Years but disappointing to say the least.

33 minutes ago, TurboTrev said:

^^^Thanks for all your the replies.  Looking on forums and facebook etc.  I get the impression that the R20s seem to be essentially error free compared to non R20s.  Mmmm, do I risk buying a discounted R20 or wait for the 8.5 which may or may be not gremlin free?  Also, will the 8.5 cost a lot more?  A dealer has an identical spec R20 to the one I cancelled, decisions, decisions! 

I used to be so decisive when buying VWs, I have ordered most of mine without so much as a test drive.  Those were the days (if only everything in life was as reliable as a VW).  Blinking gremlins have a lot to answer for!

I think picking up a discounted R20 the same spec as your cancelled order seems a good decision.  As you’re not already in a mk8 or mk8R it will feel fresh and new, opposed to you already having an 8R in which case waiting for the 8.5R might be the better option.  The 8.5R is not going to be cheap that’s for sure so a discounted gremlin free (hopefully) R20 an attractive proposition.  

3 hours ago, TurboTrev said:

It might take VW a while to sort any gremlins in the 8. 5R - hopefully there will be nearer nil than a fair few!   There’s a lot to be said for buying a late in the life model - bugs ironed out, better kit etc….I did it with a Mk6 GTI in 2012 and my 7.5R  bought in 2019.   
I can’t decide where next, and am not keen to be a Golf R guineapig development driver - so will wait a while and see what any 50 Y anniversary brings.   I’ll No doubt  spend weeks on the Configurator refining my perfect spec, then see what a Special brings…hope not too chintzy /over adorned/ naff/ gruesome. Pricing will play a part too as they’re getting a bit stupid imho.
Happy sitting in a 7.5 in the meantime.

Tickles me that even on this thread, most are only 'nearly' gremlin free. There's always an 'apart from x'.

Maybe VW are trying to bring back some of the 7/7.5 reliability, e.g. with going back to bumper mounted radar? I'm all for that. If I didn't already have an 8R, I'd wait for the 8.5. I might even get an 8.5 when my current lease runs out. VW to be fair have made good progress in fixing things, even if they shouldn't have been issues in the first place.

Since 1941 and a new steering wheel mine has been pretty darn good... Apart from Car2x having a hissy fit the other day. 😜

16 hours ago, NRW said:

It might take VW a while to sort any gremlins in the 8. 5R - hopefully there will be nearer nil than a fair few!   There’s a lot to be said for buying a late in the life model - bugs ironed out, better kit etc….I did it with a Mk6 GTI in 2012 and my 7.5R  bought in 2019.   
I can’t decide where next, and am not keen to be a Golf R guineapig development driver - so will wait a while and see what any 50 Y anniversary brings.   I’ll No doubt  spend weeks on the Configurator refining my perfect spec, then see what a Special brings…hope not too chintzy /over adorned/ naff/ gruesome. Pricing will play a part too as they’re getting a bit stupid imho.
Happy sitting in a 7.5 in the meantime.

Neil, I think most of us (certainly the earlier adopters) mk8 owners have been the guinea pig development drivers for the 8.5. 😉

Like @Bugs2206 since the steering wheel was replaced on mine (last Aug) and the 1941 software update (last Nov), I’ve had no erroneous errors, and not a single infotainment system random reboot.  I’ve had a few front assist warnings but those I believe were bona fide warnings.