New alloy wheels protection

Dan_Moore

Hi all, I'll be getting a new set of alloys in a couple of weeks and want to add the best protection possible while the wheels are nice, new and shiny and before I get tyres fitted. Not to worried about price or difficult application, just the best product about at the moment. 

Cheers 

1 hour ago, Dan_Moore said:

Hi all, I'll be getting a new set of alloys in a couple of weeks and want to add the best protection possible while the wheels are nice, new and shiny and before I get tyres fitted. Not to worried about price or difficult application, just the best product about at the moment. 

Cheers 

Try Gyeon Rim.Been on my Revo’s for nearly 4 years and still look like new.

If you want the most durable and long lasting protection, that doesn’t need topping up on a regular basis, and you can take the wheels off to do apply it and have somewhere inside to let them cure before refitting, then a coating is your best bet.   Gyeon Q2 RIM, Gtechniq C5 Wheel Armour and CarPro DLUX are all very good options.  

2 hours ago, Booth11 said:

If you want the most durable and long lasting protection, that doesn’t need topping up on a regular basis, and you can take the wheels off to do apply it and have somewhere inside to let them cure before refitting, then a coating is your best bet.   Gyeon Q2 RIM, Gtechniq C5 Wheel Armour and CarPro DLUX are all very good options.  

Perfect cheers I'll check them out. 

• 4 weeks later...

good point, not thought of that, ive had 2 sets of alloys both coated before tyres fitted and not had a problem with wheel weights but I can see it may happen.

You could coat the face pre tyres and leave the inner barrel naked then coat inner barrel when the tyres are on before fitting the new wheels to the car.

On 02/03/2024 at 03:11, Dan_Moore said:

Ok thank you both for your input I'll do the faces over the weekend and the insides after tyre fitting. They probably won't be on the car for a while as I'm still running 18's as the roads are so bad 🙄

That will give a better result because you can remove any residue from the old weights before sealing the inside barrel.  👍

So I did the faces with Gtechniq ready for the tyres on Monday and planned to do the insides after they were fitted. However, the first wheel the tyre monkey did he dropped the arm of the tyre machine onto 2 spokes of my pristine coated wheel! 

Needless to say the c5 wheel armour wasn't armour enough and was no match for a heavy metal tyre arm lever thing. Nice one.

I counted to ten and then counted to ten again just in case and spoke to his depot manager.

After a quick phone call to head office and many apologies I was offered the choice of them getting it fixed or money towards me getting it done.

I took the money and stood right next to him for the next 3 wheels which were all done perfectly but still, it took the shine off (literally) what should of been a nice experience of shiny new wheels and rubber and now I've gotta get it fixed. 

I did do swearing and it was fully justified.

20240304_104327.thumb.jpg.835f5fa37692e7402eb6da283825c388.jpg20240304_104332.thumb.jpg.84acaf4af8e6fba888a3a1c7feb235a0.jpg

32 minutes ago, Dan_Moore said:

So I did the faces with Gtechniq ready for the tyres on Monday and planned to do the insides after they were fitted. However, the first wheel the tyre monkey did he dropped the arm of the tyre machine onto 2 spokes of my pristine coated wheel! 

Needless to say the c5 wheel armour wasn't armour enough and was no match for a heavy metal tyre arm lever thing. Nice one.

I counted to ten and then counted to ten again just in case and spoke to his depot manager.

After a quick phone call to head office and many apologies I was offered the choice of them getting it fixed or money towards me getting it done.

I took the money and stood right next to him for the next 3 wheels which were all done perfectly but still, it took the shine off (literally) what should of been a nice experience of shiny new wheels and rubber and now I've gotta get it fixed. 

I did do swearing and it was fully justified.

20240304_104327.thumb.jpg.835f5fa37692e7402eb6da283825c388.jpg20240304_104332.thumb.jpg.84acaf4af8e6fba888a3a1c7feb235a0.jpg

Oafs!   Very annoying for you.   Good move to take the money so you can sort a proper refurb yourself and not rush some half @rsed effort the tyre place might gob you off with. Hopefully you have enough C5 for another application.