Rear wet seat mk7 golf r

Kev1970

Hi folks can anyone help ? I’ve only just realised I’ve a wet seat on the rear left , it’s possible been wet for some time as the weathers been dreadful for the old hoovering !!!!  I’ve removed the seat to hopefully dry it out,now removed ive noticed water pooling were the seat belt buckles are fixed Any thoughts? Much appreciated 

IMG_1070.jpeg

In addition to the seals around the pressure equalisation vents failing, other possible water ingress points at the rear of the Golf;

• Tailgate handle drain tube; the grommet at the exit end of the tube can perish over time, leaving the exit end of the tube loose in the tailgate, so any water in the cavity behind the tailgate handle then drains into the tailgate and ends up emptying into the car’s boot. This is a fairly common source of water ingress on the mk7 Golf.
  • Rear light cluster sealing gaskets; these can also fail over time, allowing water ingress into the car.
  • Damaged rubber sleeving that protects the wiring from the car body into the top of the tailgate.
  • Tailgate hinge mounting points above hatch opening - was a source of water ingress on some early mk7 Golfs.
  • Gasket between the roof mounted aerial and roof panel can fail over time.
  • Cars with sunroof - blocked drain pipes. 

With the last four, there’s also likely to be water staining to the roof lining above the rear seat and luggage compartment. 

15 hours ago, R_wannabe_owner said:

In addition to the seals around the pressure equalisation vents failing, other possible water ingress points at the rear of the Golf;

• Tailgate handle drain tube; the grommet at the exit end of the tube can perish over time, leaving the exit end of the tube loose in the tailgate, so any water in the cavity behind the tailgate handle then drains into the tailgate and ends up emptying into the car’s boot. This is a fairly common source of water ingress on the mk7 Golf.
  • Rear light cluster sealing gaskets; these can also fail over time, allowing water ingress into the car.
  • Damaged rubber sleeving that protects the wiring from the car body into the top of the tailgate.
  • Tailgate hinge mounting points above hatch opening - was a source of water ingress on some early mk7 Golfs.
  • Gasket between the roof mounted aerial and roof panel can fail over time.
  • Cars with sunroof - blocked drain pipes. 

With the last four, there’s also likely to be water staining to the roof lining above the rear seat and luggage compartment. 

I'll add another possible culprit to your excellent list:

-  Leaking gasket around door speakers (this seems to be fairly common)

You can actually get something down to where the water sits from the vents from where the tail light carpet is to remove the tail lights. I used a cheap camera on a stick with a screen. Also some just go under neath and pull the rubber bung out and see if water drains out.