My car is 7 Years old this August, long term maintenance.

Gavras

My R Estate will be 7 years old in August and I am after some information / advice. I plan to keep the car and I am looking at what I need to consider for long term maintenance.

Yes, DSG service and Engine servicing as well as regular haldex.

As I usually replace my cars after 4 years, this is completely new territory for me.

What is the estimated life of the Golf R exhaust, yes lots of things influence this, however just after a finger in the air time.

Has anyone replaced their hoses on engine, this is something I am debating, just put a full set of new hoses (and connections) with a colourful 3rd party,

Is there anything else that I should consider maintenance wise and just in general if keeping the car long term? 

(Hi to anyone that I used to chat to).

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

For service items, consider replacing the serpentine belt, differentials oil, brake fluid (including clutch fluid flush if manual 'box), tyres if more than 5 years old (they go "off"), spark plugs, engine air filter, cabin air filter.  Replacement times/distances can depend on driving conditions to some extent.

Interested in same advice, currently have a 2019 Golf R and likely to have an additional 2019/20 R or GTI in next 12 months, with intention to run both up to 10 years, reasoning being that they great cars that give you all would ever need in drive and tech and are quite timeless in looks and cost of keeping up with the latest is higher than its ever been and backing that keeping fully maintained will cost significantly less and reserve some ££ for other things like to do.

Both cars will be unmodified and driven in pretty normal manner and probably about 5000 miles per year on each (one maybe will do little more, other less) and be at 40000 miles or little less at their 5 years. 

My thinking was just to strictly stick to the VW Service Schedule but also interested in reading about any above recommendations and any considerations that even surprised them maybe? from those who have gone to 10 years in the early R's and to the 60-80000 miles and maybe above. 

Thanks for advice. I have had mine serviced by VW Listers (Nuneaton and Stratford) since new, hopefully this manages the basic items and I have a VW warranty plan in place. I did update my brakes last year to

CS fronts with Tarox pads

Stock rears 

Hel lines x 

also on all season tyres, went for Goodyear Vector Gen 3 

I plan to get tyre pressure sensors sorted to display pressure and temperature. 

I am also going to get my car booked in for a update detailing and an update on its ceramic coating.

Exhaust tips are also on the list, hence the how long does an exhaust last (how long is that string).

Tbh it’s mainly so I can budget and get the car booked in for bits to get done.

9 minutes ago, Gavras said:

I plan to get tyre pressure sensors sorted to display pressure and temperature. 

How are you planning on doing that? Any tips including approximate costs would be appreciated.

I'm also in the same position as you. I have a June 2016 car which I'll probably be keeping for 3-4 more years.

I've had my exhaust tips ceracoated black so there's no issue with those and the rest of the exhaust is completely rest free last time I checked it.

All I do I service the car yearly and undertake haldex and brake build changes as per the manual.

I'm only on 27k miles so have ages before the 40k gearbox service. 😁

Just now, TheBlondeFella said:

How are you planning on doing that? Any tips including approximate costs would be appreciated.

I'm also in the same position as you. I have a June 2016 car which I'll probably be keeping for 3-4 more years.

I've had my exhaust tips ceracoated black so there's no issue with those and the rest of the exhaust is completely rest free last time I checked it.

All I do I service the car yearly and undertake haldex and brake build changes as per the manual.

I'm only on 27k miles so have ages before the 40k gearbox service. 😁

Hopefully this does not break any site rules,

I am going to see about getting VW Retrofit in Redditch to do it, was waiting for weather to improve.

https://www.facebook.com/vwretrofit/posts/another-mod-for-mk75-completed-now-tpms-version-high-with-visual-pressure-displa/3197381680389854/