Golf R Estate (310hp) Dead…

X42

Well… today I was driving my Golf R estate, 310hp MK7.5 and on a nice stretch of straight road decided to give it some beans and apply full power. Unfortunately this was short lived as the car decided to lose power and come out with thick large plumes of white smoke from the exhaust. This smoke had a burning smell to it. I turned the car off immediately and tried it again 5 mins later and it refused to start. 

VW recovery come out nearly 20 minutes later and turned the car on, which did start with no warning lights on the dash, but persisted with thick white smoke. He suggested it could be a stuck fuel injector. The car was recovered to my house where it due to be picked up and towed to VW tomorrow.

Has anyone experienced this before? Having read some of the forums it seems more to me like a possible turbo failure or head gasket? Saddest part is I’ve only had the car a week, and it’s only done 18k miles for a 2018 car….not a great start. 

27 minutes ago, X42 said:

Well… today I was driving my Golf R estate, 310hp MK7.5 and on a nice stretch of straight road decided to give it some beans and apply full power. Unfortunately this was short lived as the car decided to lose power and come out with thick large plumes of white smoke from the exhaust. This smoke had a burning smell to it. I turned the car off immediately and tried it again 5 mins later and it refused to start. 

VW recovery come out nearly 20 minutes later and turned the car on, which did start with no warning lights on the dash, but persisted with thick white smoke. He suggested it could be a stuck fuel injector. The car was recovered to my house where it due to be picked up and towed to VW tomorrow.

Has anyone experienced this before? Having read some of the forums it seems more to me like a possible turbo failure or head gasket? Saddest part is I’ve only had the car a week, and it’s only done 18k miles for a 2018 car….not a great start. 

No, not great start really.

II'd very much say your far more likely to have a turbo failure or head gasket.

The white smoke is probably coolant if it didn't stink of burning oil. Burning oil is very distinctive in those quantities.

One stuck injector is unlikely to result in that level of smoke, it will flood the cylinder amd probably cause misfires but I don't think it fits.  

1 hour ago, fastandy said:

No, not great start really.

II'd very much say your far more likely to have a turbo failure or head gasket.

The white smoke is probably coolant if it didn't stink of burning oil. Burning oil is very distinctive in those quantities.

One stuck injector is unlikely to result in that level of smoke, it will flood the cylinder amd probably cause misfires but I don't think it fits.  

Thanks for your response. I said straight away it sounded like a blown turbo. I’ve had a lot of VWAG cars over the last 12 years and to be honest they’ve never put a foot wrong, it seems perhaps I’ve just been unlucky. A full optioned R estate with low mileage and seemingly nothing wrong…the saying “too good to be true” rings a bell sitting here with no car now. 

8 hours ago, NRW said:

@X42 - you’ll  have Warranty to help?

I didn’t buy the car approved used, but I do have the extended warranty “All In” plan on the car, but I have informed the dealership i bought the car from of what’s happened and they seem willing to rectify it or foot the bill for VW to do so. No one expects a car to blow up after a week of having it but it’s not saying much for the reliability of these cars..

24 minutes ago, X42 said:

I didn’t buy the car approved used, but I do have the extended warranty “All In” plan on the car, but I have informed the dealership i bought the car from of what’s happened and they seem willing to rectify it or foot the bill for VW to do so. No one expects a car to blow up after a week of having it but it’s not saying much for the reliability of these cars..

Think its just unlucky as overall the MK 7's have a long history of good mechanics, of course you will find the issues on a forum like this, as natural place for anyone to ask a question or share their frustration, but would not say there was any pattern to poor reliability. My personal experience is 3 cars, MK 7 R, MK 7.5 GTI TCR and MK 7.5 R and none have had any mechanical issue whatsoever. 

Its good can get the work required done, and as rest of the car is only 18000 miles old and new work will you hope return to new with warranty, just cope with the inconvenience and then try to give car a second chance, and after a few thousand miles the confidence will grow and the memory fade. 

42 minutes ago, X42 said:

I am the first to say it how it is and don't get blinded by brand loyalty.

The 7 and 7.5R apart from thermostat/waterpump are generally very reliable and have very few issues although when people say the quality of build is great it is no better than previous Mazda/Toyota's that i have owned.

However there is no way i would buy the MK 8 and the hundred of pages on the gremlins thread is enough to put most off.

You have been unlucky and it would be interesting to see what has gone wrong as it may even be something the garage did on the PDI before you picked it up.

3 hours ago, X42 said:

It’s the worst start to owning a new R. I really hope they repair it quickly for you and return it to rude health so you can relish driving it come rain or shine. 
Thank goodness for the All In and a decent dealership 

very interested to hear from you how this all pans out. Hope you get to enjoy a stonker of a 7.5R for a long time. 

2 hours ago, MJC1216 said:

I am the first to say it how it is and don't get blinded by brand loyalty.

The 7 and 7.5R apart from thermostat/waterpump are generally very reliable and have very few issues although when people say the quality of build is great it is no better than previous Mazda/Toyota's that i have owned.

However there is no way i would buy the MK 8 and the hundred of pages on the gremlins thread is enough to put most off.

You have been unlucky and it would be interesting to see what has gone wrong as it may even be something the garage did on the PDI before you picked it up.

Cannot afford a new MK 8.5 cash, and do not want to tie myself into finance, no matter how hard try to convince myself, just cannot risk picking up a MK 8 that's a glitchy lemon, which is a shame as there is quite few R and Clubsport within my price range now, but rather pay top price for known entity of late, low mileage MK 7.5 

So update for anyone that’s invested. The car was recovered to VW where it’s been diagnosed as needing a new turbo and exhaust system. Turns out it’s been Stage 2 mapped and I had no idea. Credit where credits due, I informed the dealer I bought the car from of this and they are accepting the car back with a full refund. Honestly had I known it was mapped I wouldn’t have bought it. Seemingly it’s had just an ECU tune and not a single other component upgraded which is just madness. Seems like from the moment I bought it, it was a ticking time bomb waiting to go boom with enough power applied.

shame as it was the perfect spec with the pan roof, Dynaudio and DCC. Not sure where else to look now, any other car suggestions from anyone?

Really sorry to hear that your new R Estate has suffered such a fate after only a week of ownership and that it turned out to be a result of an unknown tune.  A must be very disappointing for you after seemingly finding a good car.  I’m glad that the dealership are doing the right thing from the off and taking the car back.  I hope your search for a replacement isn’t too difficult whether that’s another R or something else.  

My gabble;

The R Wagon is such a compelling package, the direct rivals are few.  Bigger and dearer gets S4 Wagon (diesel?), Merc C43, or BMW M340i wagon.  
Similar size is CLA35 or dearer CLA45.  RS4 Avant  in a different league.
Go cheaper and scratchier build for a Seat/ Cupra Leon 300 Wagon or special edition?  T-Roc R, Arteon R or R Wagon or Tiguan R if you prefer different size. 

An R is hard to eclipse.   New 8R is Wo pricey.
Think about an R from within VW Used cars.   But You already know how good the warranty is. 

ps. Go obscure and bigger.  Even  Rarer too.  A Petrol Passat Wagon R-Line Edition.   Limited run.  Primer Grey 4 Motion EA888 with circa 270/280Ps?   Sleeper Dad Wagon if ever…

6 hours ago, X42 said:

So update for anyone that’s invested. The car was recovered to VW where it’s been diagnosed as needing a new turbo and exhaust system. Turns out it’s been Stage 2 mapped and I had no idea. Credit where credits due, I informed the dealer I bought the car from of this and they are accepting the car back with a full refund. Honestly had I known it was mapped I wouldn’t have bought it. Seemingly it’s had just an ECU tune and not a single other component upgraded which is just madness. Seems like from the moment I bought it, it was a ticking time bomb waiting to go boom with enough power applied.

shame as it was the perfect spec with the pan roof, Dynaudio and DCC. Not sure where else to look now, any other car suggestions from anyone?

It’s very likely the car was returned to look like stock, I have seen this a number of times, you get more money selling a standard car and the mods separately than selling the car modded

Cheers all. It is a terrible start and probably an end so soon. I’m giving the car back for a full refund. I can’t find another Golf R Estate 7.5 with a pan roof and DCC so for now it’ll be my wife’s car until something suitable comes up. I also considered an E53 Merc estate but just came out of V6 for its running costs and not so keen to come back to one. 

I think exactly what was said, it was remapped with a simple ECU tune and if it did have any other parts they were removed before sale. Whoever did that should be held accountable really as I doubt they declared it to the dealer I bought it from.