Improving ride qaulity by going from 19's to 18's

So, I need so help with improving my ride quality by changing from 19 inch wheels to 18 inch wheels rather than by changing the suspension. I have a bog standard, low mileage 2016 Mk7 R with DCC (standard camber).

To date since buying the car in 2016 I’ve run the flowing wheels all in 19’s;

• OE Pretoria: 19 x 8 - et50 - The Prets were fine but I wanted something a little different even after I had the colour changed.
  • Neuspeed Rse10: 19 x 8 - et45 - I had a love / hate relationship with the Rse10s and in the end decided they just weren’t for me.
  • Motec Ultralight: 19 x 8.5 - et43 - I buckled 3 of the Motec Ultralights in less than 12 months and despite these looking exactly how I wanted after having them refurbed in bright silver, they were obviously either too light or ‘made of cheese’ so they had to go.
  • Revo RF019: 19 x 8.5 - et45 - Currently on my car with no issues at all.

I'm so sick of the quality of the UK roads and the ride quality of my car I'm now I'm going to swap the wheels again this time going down to an 18 inch wheel in the hope of an improved ride qaulity. I'm looking at either the Neuspeed rse11r in 18 x 8.5 et45 or the Revo RFO 18 x 8 et45. I'd prefer the Neuspeeds as they come in 8.5 width but the Neuspeeds are almost double the price of the Revos so have yet to make up my mind.

The help I need is with tyre size as I definitely do not want to rub in any circumstances. I currently only use the car for fast road weekend outings and do one trip the the Nurburgring a year where tyre rubbing is definitely not a good idea.

• VW O.E fitment for a 19 inch wheel on a Mk7 R is : 235 / 35 / 19 which has a 82.25mm high side wall and a tyre diameter of 647.1 mm
  • VW O.E fitment for an 18 inch wheel on a Mk7 R is : 225 / 40 / 18 which has a 90mm high side wall and a tyre diameter of 637.2 mm

So just by going from a 19 to an 18 with OE tyre spec. you get 7.75 mm more of tyre side wall cushioning and almost a 5mm arch gap loss which effectively makes the car look lower on 18’ compared to 19’s! 

In theory, you’ll also get marginally increased acceleration as well due to the smaller overall rolling circumference and lower combined tyre and wheel weight (only with aftermarket wheels as a 19 Pret weighs less than an 18 Cadiz).  

I guess that’ll be by they say “19’s for show and 18’s for go”. Who knew! 😃

I’ve worked out the following which I hope everyone will agree with is correct.

Tyre Size Sidewall Height Tyre Diameter
235 / 35 / 19 (VW OE) 82.25 mm 647.1 mm
225 / 40 / 18 (VW OE) 90 mm  637.2 mm
235 / 40 / 18 94 mm 645.2 mm
245 / 40 / 18 98 mm 653.2 mm
255 / 35 / 18 89.25 mm 635.7 mm

Looking at the above chart, if I go from a 235 / 35 / 19 (VW OE) to a 235 / 40 / 18, I would get a 11.75 mm more side wall cushioning compared to what I have now with a tyre diameter that would be between the OE Pretoria and  OE Cadiz

The question is; Is this to best option, or are there better options available with guaranteed no tyre rub?

7 minutes ago, TheBlondeFella said:

So, I need so help with improving my ride quality by changing from 19 inch wheels to 18 inch wheels rather than by changing the suspension. I have a bog standard, low mileage 2016 Mk7 R with DCC (standard camber).

• OE Pretoria: 19 x 8 - et50 - The Prets were fine but I wanted something a little different even after I had the colour changed.
  • Neuspeed Rse10: 19 x 8 - et45 - I had a love / hate relationship with the Rse10s and in the end decided they just weren’t for me.
  • Motec Ultralight: 19 x 8.5 - et43 - I buckled 3 of the Motec Ultralights in less than 12 months and despite these looking exactly how I wanted after having them refurbed in bright silver, they were obviously either too light or ‘made of cheese’ so they had to go.

I'm so sick of the quality of the UK roads and the ride quality of my car I'm now I'm going to swap the wheels again this time going down to an 18 inch wheel in the hope of an improved ride qaulity. I'm looking at either the Neuspeed rse11r in 18 x 8.5 et45 or the Revo RFO 18 x 8 et45. I'd prefer the Neuspeeds as they come in 8.5 width but the Neuspeeds are almost double the price of the Revos so have yet to make up my mind.

The help I need is with tyre size as I definitely do not want to rub in any circumstances. I currently only use the car for fast road weekend outings and do one trip the the Nurburgring a year where tyre rubbing is definitely not a good idea.

• VW O.E fitment for a 19 inch wheel on a Mk7 R is : 235 / 35 / 19 which has a 82.25mm high side wall and a tyre diameter of 647.1 mm
  • VW O.E fitment for an 18 inch wheel on a Mk7 R is : 225 / 40 / 18 which has a 90mm high side wall and a tyre diameter of 637.2 mm

So just by going from a 19 to an 18 with OE tyre spec. you get 7.75 mm more of tyre side wall cushioning and almost a 5mm arch gap loss which effectively makes the car look lower on 18’ compared to 19’s! 

In theory, you’ll also get marginally increased acceleration as well due to the smaller overall rolling circumference and lower combined tyre and wheel weight (only with aftermarket wheels as a 19 Pret weighs less than an 18 Cadiz).  

Looking at the above chart, if I go from a 235 / 35 / 19 (VW OE) to a 235 / 40 / 18, I would get a 13.75 mm more side wall cushioning compared to what I have now with an tyre diameter of that between the OE Pretoria and Cadiz.

The question is; Is this to best option, or are there better options available with guaranteed no tyre rub?

I know you said you didn’t want to change the suspension but I would definitely consider it.Since changing mine to the KW Street comfort it’s been a pleasure to drive,no more teeth rattling and it still handles well when pushing it.Even on 19’s it soaks up the bumps no problem.Cost wise I don’t think there would be much in it when you take buying new wheels and tyres into account.

Another thing to look at would be tyre choice.When I changed from the 18’ Cadiz on Bridgestones to 19’ Revo on Pilot 4’s the ride improved.

1 hour ago, Clarkie48 said:

I know you said you didn’t want to change the suspension but I would definitely consider it.Since changing mine to the KW Street comfort it’s been a pleasure to drive,no more teeth rattling and it still handles well when pushing it.Even on 19’s it soaks up the bumps no problem.Cost wise I don’t think there would be much in it when you take buying new wheels and tyres into account.

Another thing to look at would be tyre choice.When I changed from the 18’ Cadiz on Bridgestones to 19’ Revo on Pilot 4’s the ride improved.

I have DCC and the car is still also under extended VW warranty so I don't want to be messing with the suspension at all. Not sure even the better aftermarket DCC options are any good either?!?

I've used PS4S tyres since the 1st set of tyres expired as I believe they offer a decent ride but I'm still crashing around on our lovely road surfaces. I'm also in comfort everywhere here in the UK. As soon as I get to Europe each year the road surfaces are so good I'm in Race the entire time and the ride is great.

I'm amazed that you have a better ride on 19’ Revo on Pilot 4’s compared to the 18’ Cadiz even on Bridgestones. You have the same wheel and tyre combo I have now and I just don't enjoy driving it any more the roads in my area are so bad. I've only dent 26K miles so I doubt the suspension is knackered but I'm going to see if I can do a DCC recalibration just in case.

I did exactly this, from 19 prets to 18 team dynamics pro race LT’s with 225/40’s and it simply handled loads better. Quicker, grippier, quieter and not at all crashy. 

Later I fitted Ohlins. They’re amazing. Then I wanted to fit big brakes from a Leon and decided to go back to the 19’s to get them on more easily. 

The wheel size change is more significant but, that said, I’m back on 19s and I am enjoying it so I suppose it depends on your preferences. Good suspension can do a lot, but I think going to 18s would be worth more in terms of comfort and that can translate to how much you enjoy it and even mean you’ll be more spirited (quicker) on bumpy wavering B roads etc. 

Always a compromise and tbh the wife never seems to notice any changes I make anyway! Except for the pile of brand new wheels and tyres I recently put on and then took off a couple of months later ha. Oops. 

18 hours ago, TheBlondeFella said:

Looking at the above chart, if I go from a 235 / 35 / 19 (VW OE) to a 235 / 40 / 18, I would get a 11.75 mm more side wall cushioning compared to what I have now with a tyre diameter that would be between the OE Pretoria and  OE Cadiz

I'm running 18x8 romac radium wheels I think et45 with 225/40 goodyear assy 6 tyres. I have kw dcc coilovers, I have no rubbing issues at all and I'm quite low. I ditched my oe dcc as it was well worn at 55k miles.

I'm in the south east as well and feel you're pain with the state of the roads and i cant see them ever catching up with the repairs/resurfacing so these cack roads are here to stay i think. So much so im considering selling my R as i just feel like its getting smashed to bits just driving to work and getting something a little higher, softer and more suited.

So if you wanna have a go in mine on suitably terrible roads to see the difference you're more than welcome and it might help with your next choice of wheel tyre combo.

I bought and sold a set of winter tyres/wheels on here.   They were 18x 8.5J, ET45 fitted with 235:40:18 Tyres.  
The wheels were strong, lighter than 19” Pretorias and improved responsiveness with steering, turn in, imho.   The comfort and suppleness of the ride quality was far better, imho, with these fitted as opposed to Pretorias and Contis, to my car Non- DCC.  
No issues whatsoever with this set up and filled the arches quite nicely too.  I’d be happy using say a good Summer 235:40:18 all the time if driving on poorly surfaced local roads like you are @TheBlondeFella and keep those a Pretorias (at £1036 each) for better days. 

1 hour ago, Dan_Moore said:

I'm running 18x8 romac radium wheels I think et45 with 225/40 goodyear assy 6 tyres. I have kw dcc coilovers, I have no rubbing issues at all and I'm quite low. I ditched my oe dcc as it was well worn at 55k miles.

I'm in the south east as well and feel you're pain with the state of the roads and i cant see them ever catching up with the repairs/resurfacing so these cack roads are here to stay i think. So much so im considering selling my R as i just feel like its getting smashed to bits just driving to work and getting something a little higher, softer and more suited.

So if you wanna have a go in mine on suitably terrible roads to see the difference you're more than welcome and it might help with your next choice of wheel tyre combo.

Thanks Dan

I'd be interested to hear what you thoughts are on the DCC KWs. I don't want to lower the car though so I'm not sure if aftermarket coilovers will ever be an option for me even if I don't continue with the VW extended warranty.

As of June this year, my car will be 8 years old and I haven't even done 27K miles yet partially because I'm just not enjoying driving atm with the roads being so bad. I've also thought about selling the car for the same reason.

Other than an SUV, Im not sure what the answer is and even saying that, my wifes Tiguan R line can be shaken on certain road surfaces. At least it rides over the pot holes a little better for the majority of the time.

I like all the features if a sporty car but not the ride qaulity.

I was hoping to be keeping the car for another 3 years or which is why I thought I'd try yet another wheel option. I've been in @Stobsie car recently on 18s and his does seem to ride better.

I'm hoping to do another SE meet this year when the weather improves, maybe we could meet then and talk about it?

21 minutes ago, NRW said:

I bought and sold a set of winter tyres/wheels on here.   They were 18x 8.5J, ET45 fitted with 235:40:18 Tyres.  
The wheels were strong, lighter than 19” Pretorias and improved responsiveness with steering, turn in, imho.   The comfort and suppleness of the ride quality was far better, imho, with these fitted as opposed to Pretorias and Contis, to my car Non- DCC.  
No issues whatsoever with this set up and filled the arches quite nicely too.  I’d be happy using say a good Summer 235:40:18 all the time if driving on poorly surfaced local roads like you are @TheBlondeFella and keep those a Pretorias (at £1036 each) for better days. 

I've sold all my previous wheels. If I ever get rid go my car it will either go with what I have on it at the time or a 2nd hand set of Cadiz I suspect.

I didn't buckle a single wheel until I bought the Motecs last year, but the roads are getting worse and worse where I live.

I barely ride my motorbike for the same reason. If I ever hit a pot hole on the bike the size I've hit in the car I'd be off for sure.

I'm going to stick Stobsies 18 Revos on shortly to see if that gives me the extra comfort level that im after. If not, I'm not sure what I'm gonna do.

7 minutes ago, TheBlondeFella said:

Thanks Dan

I'd be interested to hear what you thoughts are on the DCC KWs. I don't want to lower the car though so I'm not sure if aftermarket coilovers will ever be an option for me even if I don't continue with the VW extended warranty.

As of June this year, my car will be 8 years old and I haven't even done 27K miles yet partially because I'm just not enjoying driving atm with the roads being so bad. I've also thought about selling the car for the same reason.

Other than an SUV, Im not sure what the answer is and even saying that, my wifes Tiguan R line can be shaken on certain road surfaces. At least it rides over the pot holes a little better for the majority of the time.

I was hoping to be keeping the car for another 3 years or which is why I thought I'd try yet another wheel option. I've been in @Stobsie car recently on 18s and his does seem to ride better.

I'm hoping to do another SE meet this year when the weather improves, maybe we could meet then and talk about it?

I know where you are coming from...i am undecided on keeping my Golf R for the same reasons.

Mine has DCC but on 19 Prets even on comfort or normal it's getting a bit crashy with the roads getting worse.

I have had access to my mums small SUV while she enjoys a 6 week break in Spain and have found myself using it more and more as i no longer need to look out for the pot holes all the time and i can't believe how much nicer and relaxing the drive is.

I am not keen on SUV's but i can see why there are so many on the roads nowadays with the state of the roads which will never get better.

1 hour ago, TheBlondeFella said:

Thanks Dan

I'd say the kw are excellent but pricey I wanted to keep dcc otherwise I would of gone ohlins. I don't really use comfort unless on the motorway or fast a roads which there's not many left due to flooding and huge craters.

I use normal nearly all the time. Race very rarely now because of the roads. A huge improvement over my old standard shocks.

Meet up sounds good 👍🏻

I sold my Yamaha R1 when I moved house because of the roads and don't regret it now one bit.

I saved up for ages to get my R and paid out £££ on mods to make it the perfect daily driver to keep for years and now I can't believe I'm actually seriously thinking about selling it for no other reason than i cant use it properly because of the roads.

My 60 odd mile round trip to work consists of 30% just about ok roads and 70% crater alley. 

I'd love to be able to garage it and just have it for odd days but financially that's not gonna happen. Rant over. 

1 hour ago, Dan_Moore said:

I'd say the kw are excellent but pricey I wanted to keep dcc otherwise I would of gone ohlins. I don't really use comfort unless on the motorway or fast a roads which there's not many left due to flooding and huge craters.

I use normal nearly all the time. Race very rarely now because of the roads. A huge improvement over my old standard shocks.

Meet up sounds good 👍🏻

I sold my Yamaha R1 when I moved house because of the roads and don't regret it now one bit.

I saved up for ages to get my R and paid out £££ on mods to make it the perfect daily driver to keep for years and now I can't believe I'm actually seriously thinking about selling it for no other reason than i cant use it properly because of the roads.

My 60 odd mile round trip to work consists of 30% just about ok roads and 70% crater alley. 

I'd love to be able to garage it and just have it for odd days but financially that's not gonna happen. Rant over. 

I know exactly what you mean. Between the carp roads, ever decreasing speed limits and drivers that have no idea what they are doing the UK road system is now like a 3rd world country.