Jump to content

Big up to team for sorting the spam bombardment today


anglingnut

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, gregozedobe said:

Unfortunately there are more (and they will keep coming in the future). 

 

Maybe we need an approval process if more than 3 (5 ?) posts from new members in less than 10 minutes ?


Greg, we did bring in a temporary approval process after the last spam attacks and this is something we can do again although it can mean delays in genuine new members being able to join due to the way it works, as essentially it’s like a waiting list to have your registration to join approved.  
 

We will discuss it again in light of this current spam attack.

 

What I would say is that we appreciate spam is a real annoyance to our members and understand it is frustrating to access the site and see multiple spam posts, but we do try to deal with in a timely manner though all of us have day jobs so action may not always be immediate.   
 

We are also grateful and thankful to any members who report spam.  

 

 @invisiblekid

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Booth11 said:


Greg, we did bring in a temporary approval process after the last spam attacks and this is something we can do again although it can mean delays in genuine new members being able to join due to the way it works, as essentially it’s like a waiting list to have your registration to join approved.  
 

We will discuss it again in light of this current spam attack.

 

What I would say is that we appreciate spam is a real annoyance to our members and understand it is frustrating to access the site and see multiple spam posts, but we do try to deal with in a timely manner though all of us have day jobs so action may not always be immediate.   
 

We are also grateful and thankful to any members who report spam.  

 

 @invisiblekid

 

 

Well with another spam attack only 3 minutes ago i think you have to bring it back.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Big shout out to @Booth11 for the clear up over the last couple of days! Apologies for the delay in implementing the revised spam defence, as I'm sure you can appreciate we all have jobs and lives that don't afford us much time as we would like! 

 

The new process allows a small percentage of users to register successfully, but not post anything without approval for 1-2 days. This will allow us to root out any spammers before posts are made public. We'll keep this in place for the foreseeable future, or until spam registrations drop off. We use an external provider to detect spam, as well as Captcha, but somehow they still sneak through until whatever loophole they have discovered is closed. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Booth11 said:

Hi all

 

We have now put in new approval measures for new registrations that should put an end to spam attacks. 

 

Thank you for your patience and tolerance in the last couple of days.   

 

Think most folk of any worth will not have any qualms about waiting for approval especially in stopping one of the most useless actions of the modern world.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, gregozedobe said:

Unfortunately there are more (and they will keep coming in the future). 

 

Maybe we need an approval process if more than 3 (5 ?) posts from new members in less than 10 minutes ?

We limit to 10 per day for the first few days. Genuine new members often lose interest if they're unable to post upon registering, so it's a balancing act. Hopefully the post review and approval process should provide that balance until the bug that is allowing registration is fixed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Hertsman said:

 

Think most folk of any worth will not have any qualms about waiting for approval especially in stopping one of the most useless actions of the modern world.

 


You would hope so but another factor of this modern world is people’s increasing lack of patience with almost anything and a “now, now, now” attitude.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Current Donation Goals

    • Raised £165
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...