GOLF waterpump leaks problem for YEARS ---why not solved

rRRRM

If you live in the US you can get the water pump issue fixed at any time out of warranty for free! 

Due the the culture of not taking any crap over there and the sheer number of people they get much better consumer protection. 

When diesel gate was exposed over in the US, affected owners were able to take their cars back to a dealers they bought them from for a full refund. The cars could be in any condition as well.

10 hours ago, rRRRM said:

GOLF waterpump leaks problem for YEARS ---why not solved 

My inner cynic suggests that it was a crap initial design which VW engineers have not (yet) been able to fix (despite designing several different "upgrades".  The fact that so many owners have had to replace them prematurely, leading to increased profits for VW and their dealers may be a significant factor as well ...  😭

The inner cynic in me would say that in the UK, the majority of water pumps probably last until after the 3 year factory warranty period has expired, so VW don’t really have any real interest in solving the problem. As @gregozedobe has said, if owners are having to foot the bill for replacements, it’s extra revenue and profit for VW and their dealers. 

As for harming the VW’s reputation - software issues in current generation cars have probably done more harm to VW ‘s (and the wider VAG) reputation than poor quality water pumps in previous generation cars. 

6 hours ago, R_wannabe_owner said:

The inner cynic in me would say that in the UK, the majority of water pumps probably last until after the 3 year factory warranty period has expired, so VW don’t really have any real interest in solving the problem. As @gregozedobe has said, if owners are having to foot the bill for replacements, it’s extra revenue and profit for VW and their dealers. 

As for harming the VW’s reputation - software issues in current generation cars have probably done more harm to VW ‘s (and the wider VAG) reputation than poor quality water pumps in previous generation cars. 

Agree with all this. Of course most times the premature failure actually  is in the thermal management control unit, an electro mechanical thermostat with the water pump bolted on to it at the side

58 minutes ago, fastandy said:

Agree with all this. Of course most times the premature failure actually  is in the thermal management control unit, an electro mechanical thermostat with the water pump bolted on to it at the side

Just as well VW is not involved in space-tech, aircraft etc. 

The Yanks have the right idea from what Theblondfella said.

I wonder if there's some sort of "not fit for purpose" angle that can be used for compensation?

On principle, VW has lost me as a repeat customer over this and the 12-year old shrinking under-bonnet mat issue.

The UK just doesn't have the ability to put the same pressure on VW that the US has. Add that the suing culture they have over there and they get in some cases much improved consumer rights compared to us.

I honestly almost spat my tea out when I read on a mainly US VW based forum that they get the water pump fixed out of warranty for free!😁