Brake Discs and Pads - Recommendations

Apologies if this is already well discussed somewhere... I did search, but didn't turn up much.

Hi All, brand new member of the Mk7.5 R club here 👋 (Estate).

I need to replace my brake discs and pads soonish and I am looking for up-to-date recommendations (road use only). I've seen mixed reviews on the prevalent aftermarket names you see kicking about, MTEC, TORAX, etc... and the options are overwhelming. My car is already modified and has non-OE discs, and I would assume pads. The discs are a c hook style with black centers and I'm struggling to pinpoint the brand without getting the wheels off and looking for branding. I just haven't had the time (or the weather) to jack the car up and take a look.

I have considered just replacing with OE parts, as I'm sure they'd be plenty good enough. But the car is making more power, and the brakes on there at the mo do seem pretty good.

It's been a while since I've dabbled in performance brakes, and generally feeling a bit clueless as to what is considered good these days, especially for these cars.

Ideally the setup would lean towards budget, without sacrificing the performance too much.

Please let me know what you recommend! 🤓

8 hours ago, TheBlondeFella said:

Pagid are quite dusty though. I have them on the rear and they get as dusty as the front.

I'm gonna be changing them soon because of it

Never had this issue, my fronts are way more dustier than the front. My rears barely have any dust on them.

15 hours ago, TheBlondeFella said:

Well there's nothing wrong with my brakes so there must be different compounds out there 😀

Definitely not outside the realms of possibility. I'm probably going the Pagid route, so I'll try to remember and come back to update this with my findings 😂 I ain't scared of a bit of dust.

If your'e engine isn't stock and you're putting out more power than standard you should be looking at upgrading your brakes to one level or another.

If some form of BBK is too expensive then imo you should be looking at an uprated pad, disc lines and fluid combination.

There are many options at different price ranges so it would be difficult to make any recommendations without a rough price range. Fluid and lines are an easy first choice unless you are considering a BBK when I would change both fluid and lines at the same time.

4 hours ago, TheBlondeFella said:

If your'e engine isn't stock and you're putting out more power than standard you should be looking at upgrading your brakes to one level or another.

If some form of BBK is too expensive then imo you should be looking at an uprated pad, disc lines and fluid combination.

There are many options at different price ranges so it would be difficult to make any recommendations without a rough price range. Fluid and lines are an easy first choice unless you are considering a BBK when I would change both fluid and lines at the same time.

Thanks for the feedback. You're probably right, and I should be looking to install performance oriented parts. The car currently does have uprated discs and pads, just unsure exactly what they are.

Lines are something I've considered too.

Uprated parts don't have to be that expensive you just need to set a realistic budget and do a little research. 

If you was VW the CS discs are a good choice but they are quite expensive compared to aftermarket options.

Good aftermarket discs are a much of a muchness but I'd try DBA, VBA, or maybe EBC or Nitron. MTEC are cheap for a reason, they're heavy. I have them on the rear only because they were the only option that matched my VW CS discs at the time, but I'd by VBA to match if I were buying now.

I'd definitely spend extra on good pads though. 

It also depends on what you're using the car for; fast road, occasional track day etc.

Decent fluid and lines will make a massive difference if you're doing a lot of fast stops in a short period of time.