I know we've done this to the point of ennui

But seriously. The infotainment system. I've now driven performance Golfs for nearly 10 years. I'm cracking up with this one 2 years in. 

Love the car and the performance. But want to take a hammer to the info screen. Android Auto interface is shit. The laggy capacitive buttons are, well, shit. 

It's not good enough VW.  Please don't make me sell it and buy an Audi. I never thought I'd be that kind of dick :) 

I should be changing my car at the end of April ( 5 years old and i never keep any car much longer) however there is no way i would buy a Mk 8 Golf R having been on this forum for over 2 years and knowing about the gremlins issues.

I know some have had improvements with new steering wheels/software updates but there are still too many problems and i have better things to do in life that speak to the idiots in the service department at my local VW who will blame the bing/bongs on the weather,they all do that sir or sorry it's not logged any issues in the engine management unit so what do you expect us to do.

I think the 8.5R will be great but too dear new so i am hoping in a few years time the prices fall into my price range.

So i am doing the sensible thing and taking out the VW All in for 2 more years and enjoying my gremlin free 7.5R.(Unless it's stolen or i bin it in which case i will provide pictures😂)

8 hours ago, MJC1216 said:

So i am doing the sensible thing and taking out the VW All in for 2 more years and enjoying my gremlin free 7.5R.(Unless it's stolen or i bin it in which case i will provide pictures😂)

Hah. Same here.  Mine turned 5 on 28 March and I got 20% off the All In till it turns 7 y,o.    I’ll look at how the 8.5 is received and how it behaves….hope for some deals from the likes of Drivethedeal and Motorfinity.  Otherwise my R will be replaced by something other than an R or GTI somesuch.  £50 k region is madness.

I don’t hold out much hope that the 8.5 will turn things around for the golf.

Its a mild refresh not a complete redesign of the whole platform which is probably what the 8.0 would need to make it fault free.

I’d love to have the option to upgrade my 7.5 to a new and presumably better golf but as has been said previously life’s too short to play Russian roulette in the hope that I get a good one.

I’m happy to read the reports from early adopters of the 8.5 as to if the platform is finally stable.

If not I’ll continue to enjoy the last relatively reliable golf until something else comes along that takes my fancy.