Got myself a new "R"

Was out for a drive yesterday and found myself following a mk7.5 lapiz blue R with prets. Brought back some good memories and had me yearning a little bit for my old R. Still to this day I think it is probably the best CAR I've owned and definitely miss it. I did see a random photo of it on a road trip somewhere with another R and a couple of M2's so looks like it went to a good home. Brought me back here lurking around to see who still had their R or had upgraded to a shiny new one. Figured I couldn't lurk for too long without saying hi.

After a brief 14 months with the C43 wagon I got a new job that came with a company car. Didn't make sense to keep the Merc so I shipped it off to WBAC for the same I paid for it new (the one good thing to come out of Covid!).

Capture.thumb.JPG.b4dd124fcc9b0ae11996ee7c183e3601.JPG

I had a few company rentals whilst waiting for my order, some good (Ford Ranger), some okay (MG HS and Ford Focus) and some terrible (Citroen C3 Aircross), but eventually my BMW iX3 landed.

image.thumb.png.9f5aafb409afc26e34ce02043d343893.png

I'm about 16 months into EV ownership and it's been great as an appliance. I do a decent amount of driving for work (15k miles so far), but never any long trips so it suits me fine. I'd also got used to the home charging luxury and not visiting a fuel pump for a while. Still though, if anyone is asking, DO NOT BUY AN EV ONLY LEASE ONE... or mayyyybbbeeee get a used one.

image.thumb.jpeg.6709267080e09d6cb17234dfcecc265b.jpeg

After a while though... that itch started as it always does. My redundancy payout from my last job was still burning a hole in my pocket and my addiction to the smell of petrol was getting too much. I also couldn't handle the embarrassment of showing up to Goodwood in an EV with the green flash of shame on the number plate. So, June last year, I helped myself to another R....

🥁🥁🥁🥁🥁

VWROC7.jpg

Apologies for the bait and switch but technically it as an R...

As I have the iX3 for lugging the dog around, I figured I'd help myself to a weekend toy. Loving every minute of it so far. Finally got that V8 rumble before it was too late to experience one properly, and in the spirit of the Golf R I went with AWD and blue as well. As said, I do still miss the Golf a lot, but the two car solution has its perks 😉.

Anyhoo... just figured I'd drop in and say hi after all this time. Hope everyone is good and still enjoying their R's or whatever else they might have moved onto.  

On 21/04/2024 at 20:37, tweaked9107 said:

Was out for a drive yesterday and found myself following a mk7.5 lapiz blue R with prets. Brought back some good memories and had me yearning a little bit for my old R. Still to this day I think it is probably the best CAR I've owned and definitely miss it. I did see a random photo of it on a road trip somewhere with another R and a couple of M2's so looks like it went to a good home. Brought me back here lurking around to see who still had their R or had upgraded to a shiny new one. Figured I couldn't lurk for too long without saying hi.

After a brief 14 months with the C43 wagon I got a new job that came with a company car. Didn't make sense to keep the Merc so I shipped it off to WBAC for the same I paid for it new (the one good thing to come out of Covid!).

Capture.thumb.JPG.b4dd124fcc9b0ae11996ee7c183e3601.JPG

I had a few company rentals whilst waiting for my order, some good (Ford Ranger), some okay (MG HS and Ford Focus) and some terrible (Citroen C3 Aircross), but eventually my BMW iX3 landed.

image.thumb.png.9f5aafb409afc26e34ce02043d343893.png

I'm about 16 months into EV ownership and it's been great as an appliance. I do a decent amount of driving for work (15k miles so far), but never any long trips so it suits me fine. I'd also got used to the home charging luxury and not visiting a fuel pump for a while. Still though, if anyone is asking, DO NOT BUY AN EV ONLY LEASE ONE... or mayyyybbbeeee get a used one.

image.thumb.jpeg.6709267080e09d6cb17234dfcecc265b.jpeg

After a while though... that itch started as it always does. My redundancy payout from my last job was still burning a hole in my pocket and my addiction to the smell of petrol was getting too much. I also couldn't handle the embarrassment of showing up to Goodwood in an EV with the green flash of shame on the number plate. So, June last year, I helped myself to another R....

🥁🥁🥁🥁🥁

VWROC7.jpg

Apologies for the bait and switch but technically it as an R...

As I have the iX3 for lugging the dog around, I figured I'd help myself to a weekend toy. Loving every minute of it so far. Finally got that V8 rumble before it was too late to experience one properly, and in the spirit of the Golf R I went with AWD and blue as well. As said, I do still miss the Golf a lot, but the two car solution has its perks 😉.

Anyhoo... just figured I'd drop in and say hi after all this time. Hope everyone is good and still enjoying their R's or whatever else they might have moved onto.  

Very nice toy Stefan!  Love the colour.  Glad to hear you’re enjoying your new ’R’ 😉 and rebelling in that V8 sound before we all have to embrace silent motoring Always nice to hear from ex VW R owners and see how life in the other side. 

Lovely cars, the jag.

I have been looking at mustangs more and more, the R is faster, but I need a v8 at somepoint. Quite happy with automatic due to the driving I do.

Did look at F Pace with the 5.0 v8 - but they are a bit rich for me currently - need to wait a little longer.

• 1 month later...
On 25/04/2024 at 20:29, gazza5 said:

Lovely cars, the jag.

I have been looking at mustangs more and more, the R is faster, but I need a v8 at somepoint. Quite happy with automatic due to the driving I do.

Did look at F Pace with the 5.0 v8 - but they are a bit rich for me currently - need to wait a little longer.

I did look at Mustang's but wanted something a bit more sporting. Originally started looking at Aston's but as it would of been older the dated interior and maintenance bills put me off. Loved the F-Type ever since that Clarkson segment on Top Gear so it was the natural next choice. Started looking at V6's but ended up with a V8 because... well V8...

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I know what you mean turning up at Goodwood in a EV. Still Moto GP are using a iX as the course vehicle.

My wife choose her new replacement for the TDi Q5 and we bought the iX1 30 Msport. Still it is quite good to drive with 316bhp and half decent range. We've been getting 4.2 miles  per kWh so her weekly use means it's costing us £5 per week home charging.

We did a big trip at weekend from Somerset to Cambridge and we got back on one charge costing us £40 from a rapid charger in St Ives. Didn't mind that tbh. Much much cheaper for her monthly as we were putting in £180-£200 a month in Diesel and the iX1 is a nice place to sit with easy to use tech.

Luckily I still have my R to entertain me on the rare occasions I use it.