Air intake mod with a stock air filter box?

I was just watching this YouTube video on a tuned MK8 R, and they mention a cut out to increase air flow here:

I've not heard of this being done on a MK8 before, and I can't find anything more about it (seems to be a thing on MK7's though).  Does anyone know any more about this hack, and if it's worth doing on a MK8?

I wouldn't

There are two intake windows on the grill, one of them has a flap that opens when you drive fast to let out the excess air that it collects, so, I would think that VW would not have put a discharge flap on their intake if it had insufficient air flow ... maybe it helps reach higher dyno results (running high revs while not moving) but other than that, I would assume it does nothing but bring in more dust to your air filter.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a video from Evolve, they make air intake systems for various cars including the Golf GTI/R. The video they did goes in to the real geeky things around air intake flow and balancing it! Very cool stuff IMO. If you don't want to watch the whole video, from 5mins in they have stock front air intake panel out and show you the widening they do for theirs. 

Thanks @Rupert, just watched it - very interesting! I'd probably go for Eventuri when it comes to an air intake upgrade. Makes me wonder if the filter is prone to getting wet with such a direct flow through like that (either wet conditions or car washing).

Also, I'm even more confused about where and why they put that cut out in the original video I posted. They've cut in to the plastic panel above the light bar, which doesn't seem to make sense after seeing that Evolve video.

16 hours ago, sbee said:

Thanks @Rupert, just watched it - very interesting! I'd probably go for Eventuri when it comes to an air intake upgrade. Makes me wonder if the filter is prone to getting wet with such a direct flow through like that (either wet conditions or car washing).

Also, I'm even more confused about where and why they put that cut out in the original video I posted. They've cut in to the plastic panel above the light bar, which doesn't seem to make sense after seeing that Evolve video.

No problem, I do like the way Evolve actually design things properly with their R&D!

I haven't had a good at mine yet to make judgement as to how much difference it makes. I have run ramair type systems in the past without issues, even in heavy rain. Which is always very surprising given the opening. A free water injection system 😉