Coolant level is this normal ?

Hi all,

I always make sure my coolant is level between the min and max lines, it always seems to drop to the min line after about 6 months then I refill again takes about a cup of coolant. Is topping it up normal or does this show it has a slight leak ?

it has been pressure tested no fault found by Vw.

cheers 

2 hours ago, Swerve said:

Hi all,

I always make sure my coolant is level between the min and max lines, it always seems to drop to the min line after about 6 months then I refill again takes about a cup of coolant. Is topping it up normal or does this show it has a slight leak ?

it has been pressure tested no fault found by Vw.

cheers 

Completely normal. When I had my 7 R it always went down from max to min over maybe 5-6 months. no leak.

2 hours ago, GPO said:

Completely normal. When I had my 7 R it always went down from max to min over maybe 5-6 months. no leak.

These cars have a sealed coolant system, so if you are regularly losing coolant (best checked with a completely cold engine) then your coolant IS going somewhere.  Just because you can't see where doesn't mean it isn't going somewhere.

18 minutes ago, gregozedobe said:

These cars have a sealed coolant system, so if you are regularly losing coolant (best checked with a completely cold engine) then your coolant IS going somewhere.  Just because you can't see where doesn't mean it isn't going somewhere.

Would you class over 6 months as regular? Or would you mean every few weeks ? 

Yeah. In a sealed system it should be zero, excluding purging and / or air locks.... But as the saying goes, if it aint broke, don't fix it...  I.e. if I was using 500ml a year I'd probably put up with it. But it is not normal.  And could catch you out. Very likely list is almost always the thermostat module maybe the rad is punctured is another.....

1 hour ago, Swerve said:

Would you class over 6 months as regular? Or would you mean every few weeks ? 

I would class every 6 months a s a small but regular leak.  Keep a close eye on the coolant levels in case the leak suddenly gets worse.

My 2017 R hasn't needed any coolant in the 7 years I've owned it.  My 2008 Skoda Octavia (= VW Mk5 GTI) has never needed any coolant in the 16 years I've owned it.

Ok thanx all, I can’t live with it if there is a problem my ocd would destroy me 🤦‍♂️

I will have to book it back in with Vw as it is still under the extended warranty. Am I correct they can put a dye in that can show up a leak ? I might ask them to do this.

thanx 

22 hours ago, Swerve said:

Ok thanx all, I can’t live with it if there is a problem my ocd would destroy me 🤦‍♂️

I will have to book it back in with Vw as it is still under the extended warranty. Am I correct they can put a dye in that can show up a leak ? I might ask them to do this.

thanx 

I would just leave it. My golf 7 R used a bit of coolant like I previously said and my 7.5 R did not. adding 200-300ml of coolant every 5-6 months isn't the end of the world. Even my 8 R uses a bit of coolant. When you actually see something on the floor or dried up coolant under the engine that's when you should take action.

1 hour ago, GPO said:

I would just leave it. My golf 7 R used a bit of coolant like I previously said and my 7.5 R did not. adding 200-300ml of coolant every 5-6 months isn't the end of the world. Even my 8 R uses a bit of coolant. When you actually see something on the floor or dried up coolant under the engine that's when you should take action.

I would also take action if you find it in your oil. 

I was in same situation 6 months ago, the waterpump housing or thermostat housing is plastic 😆 and is doomed to leak at some point regardless. 

Mine was needing replacement due to needing coolant topped up by a cup each week or 3 days,   that was at 29k miles replacement and never needed coolant since 

38 minutes ago, meandmyself777 said:

I was in same situation 6 months ago, the waterpump housing or thermostat housing is plastic 😆 and is doomed to leak at some point regardless. 

Mine was needing replacement due to needing coolant topped up by a cup each week or 3 days,   that was at 29k miles replacement and never needed coolant since 

I had mine replaced under warranty about 2 years ago.

11 hours ago, GPO said:

I’ve got the extended warranty runs out December, so thinking take it to be looked at while it’s still covered.

On 18/06/2024 at 19:04, Swerve said:

I had mine replaced under warranty about 2 years ago.

I’ve got the extended warranty runs out December, so thinking take it to be looked at while it’s still covered.

Sounds sensible to me.  Of course it is most likely that they will try to wriggle out of fixing it like they usually do.