Lubricant for door catches and boot struts

c5656

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@c5656: G060751A2 grease is intended for lubricating the sunroof tracks. I guess it would be OK for the door catch mechanism, but I reckon that a dry-lub (like silicon-spray) is better because it doesn't attract and hold air-borne detritus - which is probably more of a dirt-problem for folk entering/leaving the car than for the latch!

I'm not sure about using any lubricant on the bonnet/boot struts because of unknown long-term effects on the strut mechanism (possible degradation of the strut- seals)

If you think about how these struts spend their lives -  almost ALL the time, they are in the closed position. So, the part of the strut arm that slides ain't really exposed to "gunk"!!

My suggestion - maybe just a quick wipe with a dry cloth is all that's needed on the struts (if needed at all) - again, IMO

Don

6 hours ago, dv52 said:

@c5656: G060751A2 grease is intended for lubricating the sunroof tracks. I guess it would be OK for the door catch mechanism, but I reckon that a dry-lub (like silicon-spray) is better because it doesn't attract and hold air-borne detritus - which is probably more of a dirt-problem for folk entering/leaving the car than for the latch!

I'm not sure about using any lubricant on the bonnet/boot struts because of unknown long-term effects on the strut mechanism (possible degradation of the strut- seals)

If you think about how these struts spend their lives -  almost ALL the time, they are in the closed position. So, the part of the strut arm that slides ain't really exposed to "gunk"!!

My suggestion - maybe just a quick wipe with a dry cloth is all that's needed on the struts (if needed at all) - again, IMO

Don

Thank you for the advice, Don. I’ll leave the catch & struts alone!

All the best 

I find wd40 white lithium spray grease (other brands are available) is good for hinges and pivots. It dries like @dv52 suggests. And provides a coating. You can put a little on the strut connection at each end to the ball joint for example, but also as stated I would not put anything on the stanchion of the strut.