Staying in an R, this time it's a Tiguan

Jens0n

After 5years and 5 months of ownership, three weeks ago I finally sold my MK7R (Limestone grey/Prets/DCC) . Being specific on spec of the Golf took me ages, 3 months, to find and I bought the car at 2 years old 16kmiles and as an allrounder it was the best car I've ever owned, I only sold it as fancied a change, typically I'm in a car for 2-3 years.

During ownership, aside a battery, suspension strut leak and park lever switch all replaced under warrantee, its been faultless. The car was treated with mechanical sympathy and my service regime was always ahead of schedule. Aside two sets of PS4's and Clubsport discs/pads around. no other major expense incurred. The water pump was always in my mind and funds were in the bank earmarked for same.  

What now? I’m now in a 2yr old Tiguan R, 16K miles, Dolphin Grey, Panroof and Leather. I did briefly have the white 8R (stormtrooper) on my shortlist... but eventually decided it was just a little to samey as before. 

So… After 3 days of ownership  I've coded out lane assist 'always on' to 'remember last setting and turned off the Soundaktor.

The Dealer, VW Maidstone, did a fab job in prepping the car but I’m chomping at the bit to run a single stage paint correction on the body and get the wheels off for a proper clean and protect.

I’ve enjoyed this forum for some years now and although it’s not a Golf, I think I’ll hang around, enjoy the company and continue learn a little from you all.

Happy motoring all =o)

J.

IMG_1664.jpeg

IMG_1663.jpeg

IMG_1662.jpeg

Great purchase, but I’m probably biased. Got mine new after several years in a 7.5R estate and never looked back. It’s an extremely capable machine and a bit more comfortable than the golf, even though I had DCC on mine. Interesting to read you re-coded the lane assist. First thing I do after start up is switch it off! Just had to replace my rear discs and pads, which is my first bit of outlay other than regular servicing. Hope you enjoy it. 

Congratulations on your latest R @Jens0n!  It does look very nice and a lovely colour too.

Goodbye to your mk7R, and lovely to read of another trouble free and enjoyable long ownership, testament to the reliability of those cars, when well treated and care for.

Bet you can’t wait to give the Tiguan R some detailing TLC and out your mark on it.  Be sure to let us know how you get on with that and the car.  And good shout on coding out the Lane Assist.  

@DSarge If you haven’t see it already, here is the coding for setting Lane Assist to remember last setting (off) on a mk8 Golf as a guide. 

Similar to DSarge and JensOn I have graduated to a Tiguan R from a Mk7.5 R wagon which I greatly enjoyed.

It’s a similar sandwich though just a bit  higher off the ground with some more leg room, a bit heavier but with more stonk under the bonnet, so fairly same-same with performance.

Not quite as screwed down handling-wise but unless you are 10/10ths this machine is a hoot to drive and would have to be amongst the best of the “SUV” genre, especially when R mode is dialled in.

I deactivated the left passing prevention (not a thing here in Oz) and turned down the Soundaktor, but apart from that I have some ATE ceramic front pads and DBA rear ceramic pads to drop in as I’m already sick of the huge volumes of black shit on my rims within a normal weekly commute!

I have added a space saver spare tyre (From an A8), mud flaps and a rear bumper top protector as well as an EVC Ultimate throttle controller (to get past the slow throttle response in Normal) but that’s about it.

IMG_5194.jpeg

4 hours ago, GolfRWag said:

Similar to DSarge and JensOn I have graduated to a Tiguan R from a Mk7.5 R wagon which I greatly enjoyed.

It’s a similar sandwich though just a bit  higher off the ground with some more leg room, a bit heavier but with more stonk under the bonnet, so fairly same-same with performance.

Not quite as screwed down handling-wise but unless you are 10/10ths this machine is a hoot to drive and would have to be amongst the best of the “SUV” genre, especially when R mode is dialled in.

I deactivated the left passing prevention (not a thing here in Oz) and turned down the Soundaktor, but apart from that I have some ATE ceramic front pads and DBA rear ceramic pads to drop in as I’m already sick of the huge volumes of black shit on my rims within a normal weekly commute!

I have added a space saver spare tyre (From an A8), mud flaps and a rear bumper top protector as well as an EVC Ultimate throttle controller (to get past the slow throttle response in Normal) but that’s about it.

IMG_5194.jpeg

Looks excellent and good write up. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/06/2024 at 17:16, Jens0n said:

After 5years and 5 months of ownership, three weeks ago I finally sold my MK7R (Limestone grey/Prets/DCC) . Being specific on spec of the Golf took me ages, 3 months, to find and I bought the car at 2 years old 16kmiles and as an allrounder it was the best car I've ever owned, I only sold it as fancied a change, typically I'm in a car for 2-3 years.

During ownership, aside a battery, suspension strut leak and park lever switch all replaced under warrantee, its been faultless. The car was treated with mechanical sympathy and my service regime was always ahead of schedule. Aside two sets of PS4's and Clubsport discs/pads around. no other major expense incurred. The water pump was always in my mind and funds were in the bank earmarked for same.  

What now? I’m now in a 2yr old Tiguan R, 16K miles, Dolphin Grey, Panroof and Leather. I did briefly have the white 8R (stormtrooper) on my shortlist... but eventually decided it was just a little to samey as before. 

So… After 3 days of ownership  I've coded out lane assist 'always on' to 'remember last setting and turned off the Soundaktor.

The Dealer, VW Maidstone, did a fab job in prepping the car but I’m chomping at the bit to run a single stage paint correction on the body and get the wheels off for a proper clean and protect.

I’ve enjoyed this forum for some years now and although it’s not a Golf, I think I’ll hang around, enjoy the company and continue learn a little from you all.

Happy motoring all =o)

J.

IMG_1664.jpeg

IMG_1663.jpeg

IMG_1662.jpeg

Perfect!

Much cheaper to run than a SQ5.....maintenance wise ....TDI is great on 2020 TDI>  but rocker arms in 2014 - 2018 models are a known failure of engines across the 3 litre Audi units Q7,5 S5 etc etc  so Tig R great choice 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Current Donation Goals

• Raised £170