Jump to content

Mirror Paint Code


Recommended Posts

Anybody know the paint code for the silver paint on the wing mirror caps?  Note the paint code, not the VW part no - Thanks. 

 

Mods - feel free to put this in the part no. thread if you like. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had an issue last year, somebody scratched the paint on the mirror, went to VW and if you won’t a new cap, £170 please sir, I’d rather not you robbing bar stewards. So went to a VW approved repairer and they could paint it but it’s special paint can only buy a minimum amount and not cheap, £150!.

 

Prior to this I got a mobile paint repairer round, after 3 attempts to paint he couldn’t match the colour. In the end I was lucky to get an unmarked 2nd hand one of eBay for £50, which for a piece of plastic is dear enough

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Peter Wynne said:

Am pretty sure it’s silver plastic, rather than painted. Ali express replacement might be your best bet, I bought black ones and they were a perfect fit. 

 

Link please

 

A friend of mine bought some ALiEx's and they broke upon installation
So if you have a good one, I'd love to try it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know OP specifically said not the VW P/N, but here they are if it helps you google a possible solution. The are only ~$140 CAD here, so I can't believe they are £150, that's unbelievable!

 

WITH SIDE ASSIST:

LEFT: 5H0-857-537-D-69D

RIGHT: 5H0-857-538-D-69D

 

As others have said, they come painted. The are matte-chrome plastic:

 

image.thumb.png.3b2e323d843e30b4df010859ba18c5da.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 07/07/2024 at 22:21, blizzard60 said:

I know OP specifically said not the VW P/N, but here they are if it helps you google a possible solution. The are only ~$140 CAD here, so I can't believe they are £150, that's unbelievable!

 

WITH SIDE ASSIST:

LEFT: 5H0-857-537-D-69D

RIGHT: 5H0-857-538-D-69D

 

As others have said, they are not painted. The are matte-chrome plastic:

 

image.thumb.png.3b2e323d843e30b4df010859ba18c5da.png

Well, according to VW and a VW approved body shop they are painted from the factory but perhaps they are wrong and you are correct.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Captjack said:

Well, according to VW and a VW approved body shop they are painted from the factory but perhaps they are wrong and you are correct.

 

Hey, not sure if you wanted me to respond to this or not? Of course they CAN be painted! They are plastic after all!! But they COME painted if you order the part that ends in -69D. That’s the colour code. -GRU are primed waiting to be painted.

 

Quick google search of the part number I posted found this:

 

image.thumb.jpeg.1b612244143f0fcbbd518e9246027792.jpeg

 

image.thumb.jpeg.dde72dbb6a96f70b3ba5591536b75b7d.jpeg

 

Just trying to be helpful if someone finds this thread in the future, not trying to argumentative, sorry if my original post came across that way!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not at all, after the issues I had trying to get my repaired one painted the right colour, I was just pointing out how expensive a VW paint shop wanted to paint the repaired cover because they had to order in the “special” paint, their words, which would of been a minimum amount, 5lts or 10lts of which such a small amount they would use.
 

I still don’t see how VW can charge so much for a cover, I was so annoyed with the dealer after spending over £40000 on a car that there was no goodwill on the price.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Right, to be clear they are painted, not molded in the silver colour as has been suggested. 

 

I have a supplier who will make either a touch up or a rattle can but they need the actual paint code.  All paints have a paint code of some sort. It means something to those who make paint. 

 

It's a simple enough matt silver paint for plastic. I just need the right code number. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/07/2024 at 03:25, aldfort said:

Right, to be clear they are painted, not molded in the silver colour as has been suggested. 

 

I have a supplier who will make either a touch up or a rattle can but they need the actual paint code.  All paints have a paint code of some sort. It means something to those who make paint. 

 

It's a simple enough matt silver paint for plastic. I just need the right code number. 

 

Hey, one of my posts above was really misleading in how I worded, it. I totally agree with you they are painted, sorry if it was my post that gave you that impression, I've edited so it doesn't mislead in the future.

 

Did you run the code 69D and see what you came up with? That's the colour code at the end of the part number. And it's listed on the sticker.

 

I have searched ETKA and cannot find another colour code listed, I'm sorry.

 

image.thumb.png.e09dafbf900933ec6395a85c43762676.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 13/07/2024 at 20:12, blizzard60 said:

 

Hey, one of my posts above was really misleading in how I worded, it. I totally agree with you they are painted, sorry if it was my post that gave you that impression, I've edited so it doesn't mislead in the future.

 

Did you run the code 69D and see what you came up with? That's the colour code at the end of the part number. And it's listed on the sticker.

 

I have searched ETKA and cannot find another colour code listed, I'm sorry.

 

image.thumb.png.e09dafbf900933ec6395a85c43762676.png

Thanks, this info is useful. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Current Donation Goals

    • Raised £170
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...