Some people have no respect.

Went to a small show yesterday, quite a lot of cars waiting to park in a field, no issues so far, parked up with plenty of room between cars, came back a couple of hours later and the car that was on our near side had gone leaving this.

No note or anything, no CCTV, I dont get how they could do this and not know.

Do VW do the touch up sticks?.

IMG_0884.jpeg

IMG_0883.jpeg

5 minutes ago, TheBlondeFella said:

One of the reasons I bought a dash cam that has a a parking record function.

Yes, VW do touch up stick. Will any of it polish out?

Yes, some of it has polished out but not the deeper ones. Have got front and rear cams but other a slight shake no view of the incident and when the car drove off due to the angle no reg shown. The cams are getting on a bit, going to look at upgrade. 

@Captjack - that really sucks. But as you’ve said, some people have no respect. 

Difficult to tell from the pictures, but Is it the plastic bumper that was damaged or the metal rear quarter panel? Some of the scratches look quite deep and are probably quite difficult (IMHO) to touch in with a touch up stick so they’re not noticeable, even if you’re very proficient with DIY touch up stick paint repairs.

With a nearly new car, my OCD would be taking me to the nearest reputable body shop to get a quote for professionally repainting the damage, or if the damage isn’t too bad now you’ve polished out the more superficial scratches, getting a good SMART repairer to sort it. 

Sorry to hear of the damage @Captjack, awful to have this happen and especially at a show. There are some really careless and inconsiderate drivers out there that seem to think it’s ok to behave like this.  

Shame the dash cam didn’t manage to pick up the incident. 

I’d take it to a reputable and trusted bodyshop to get it assessed and see what options they recommend, unless you’re confident you can manage the repairs yourself to a good standard.   It’s always quite difficult from photos to really be able to see what is superficial damage and what’s not but from what you say it sounds like at least some of it needs either smart repair or repair and respray by a body shop.

Let us know how you get on. 

22 minutes ago, R_wannabe_owner said:

@Captjack - that really sucks. But as you’ve said, some people have no respect. 

Difficult to tell from the pictures, but Is it the plastic bumper that was damaged or the metal rear quarter panel? Some of the scratches look quite deep and are probably quite difficult (IMHO) to touch in with a touch up stick so they’re not noticeable, even if you’re very proficient with DIY touch up stick paint repairs.

With a nearly new car, my OCD would be taking me to the nearest reputable body shop to get a quote for professionally repainting the damage, or if the damage isn’t too bad now you’ve polished out the more superficial scratches, getting a good SMART repairer to sort it. 

It’s the metal rear quarter, I don’t think it’s worth me trying it to be honest. I’ll go to a body shop tomorrow.

11 minutes ago, Booth11 said:

Sorry to hear of the damage @Captjack, awful to have this happen and especially at a show. There are some really careless and inconsiderate drivers out there that seem to think it’s ok to behave like this.  

Shame the dash cam didn’t manage to pick up the incident. 

I’d take it to a reputable and trusted bodyshop to get it assessed and see what options they recommend, unless you’re confident you can manage the repairs yourself to a good standard.   It’s always quite difficult from photos to really be able to see what is superficial damage and what’s not but from what you say it sounds like at least some of it needs either smart repair or repair and respray by a body shop.

Let us know how you get on. 

As above I think, a good body shop tomorrow, I’ll let you know what they outcome is.

I've just spent 2 hours on the daughter car removing this type of damage (luckily 98% came out so she won't see the residual)

White paint and scuffs left on black car, I keep saying it to the grand kids, 98% of people are terrible.

I would have

1, been more careful if I was the offending person,

2 left my details and sorted it out for the "victim"

😠

Let me try and make you feel better.

They didn't dent your bumper and they missed the taillight.

Both would have been much worse (and more expensive) to fix.

So considering the assholiness of the person who did this, You got away pretty easy 🙂

Now let me try and help.

My 2 cents:

a. My advice, take it to a good PDR shop, many of them are artists with a delicate brush and polish, and can make it look like new.
About a decade ago a Nissan 4x4 broke its headlight on my Scirocco's door and wing, denting them both pretty deep (over 1" deep) and scraping the hell out of them. A guy who is an artist with PDR brought it back without repainting it, just pushing it back and some delicate brush work and polishing. When I sold the car I told the buyer about the accident and the fix, but the pre-buy testing place he went to said they can't find any signs of damage.

b. When you park in a "iffy" place, always take a pic of the cars next to you. So if something happens and the camera only gets a glimpse of the offender, you'd have their details. I do it often, and if asked I say "I have terrible memory, I take a pic in case I forget where I parked".

c. Now you can really send it. Any car I had, I always used more of it after the first scrape or scratch, as if the imperfection was enough to say "its not new anymore, let's go" 🙂

My Dad had a similar experience recently with a hired camper van trying to squeeze in next to him. In his case the driver waited till he returned to the car and fessed up to what they’d done. Doesn’t excuse their ineptitude but at least they had some sense of responsibility and respect. Seems a rare thing these days. 

9 hours ago, Dannybear83 said:

I remembered when someone hit my S3 while it was parked but luckily the lady left a note, I had Porsche cayman S as a courtesy for 3 weeks 😍

IMG_5735.jpeg

Good to see that there are still some honest people out there who take responsibility for their actions.

Many years ago, I had a fellow employee at my place of work damage my almost brand new car that was parked up in the office car park while they were parking. They left ‘evidence’ behind at the scene - a piece of their rubber bumper insert on the ground beside my car and some of their paint on my car. They weren’t honest enough to leave a note on my car claiming responsibility for the damage but I found out who they were and approached them, expecting them to own up, but they denied causing the damage in spite of the evidence! 😮😡.

Unfortunately there were were no witnesses and it was in the early 1980’s before the days of car park CCTV coverage, so it was their word against mine and I had to pick up the cost of repairs to my car. 

Since that day, I’ve always been very careful where I park - not that being careful prevents other careless people parking next to me after I’ve left my car…………….🤔

It is good to hear that there are honest people out there.  But for every honest person there are many that don't own up and leave details unfortunately. 

I work from home now but pre Covid my work's car park was a hotbed for colleagues causing damage and not owning up.  I always parked in the furthest car park up a hill in the most remote spaces (as most couldn't be bothered to walk up the hill so the lower car park was always the fullest) but despite that, on two occasions careless 'colleagues' damaged my car (bumper damage and rear wing damage) and never fessed up, no note, nothing, just nice repair bills for me to pay.  It got so bad with it happening to several people that the facilities manager had to send out all user emails highlighting the issue for all the good that did.  Fortunately as I now work from home on the days I'm not out and about, my driveway is my work's car park.

The last time someone damaged my car in a public car park it was caught on dashcam (their kid slammed their door onto my front wing).  They were fully aware they had damaged it as the dad was seen on the dashcam trying to 'rub' the dent outwith his sleeve :rolleyes: and then he sneakily moved his car to a different parking spot.  But it was all recorded and they had to pay out through their insurance for my repair. 

No matter how carefully you choose to park your own car, there's always someone out there that will make a beeline and park right next to it and so you can only go so far to mitigate that risk. 

7 hours ago, anglingnut said:

Yep, I choose to park in the furthest parts of supermarket car parks with loads of empty spaces but always seem to come back to the car and some shed parked next to me with loads of spaces around.

I do the same and I'm so pissed when I return to find that one car parked right next to mine despite there being 200 spaces available around it.

Can someone explain why people do that?