Jump to content

Some people have no respect.


Recommended Posts

Just now, Captjack said:

I had the same in my RS, I purposely parked right at the end and came back to this. I really don’t get what people think sometimes.

IMG_3418.jpeg

IMG_3417.jpeg

My view when someone does that is that they are probably like yourself and feel safe parking next to an owner who wants to keep his/her car safe from parking dings etc.

Why they don't park 3 bays down and have a free bay either side is that they feel someone less careful will park next to them.

Most times this happens to me the car next to mine is usually a nice car.

This may be a wild theory but it's the best i can come up with.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MJC1216 said:

My view when someone does that is that they are probably like yourself and feel safe parking next to an owner who wants to keep his/her car safe from parking dings etc.

Why they don't park 3 bays down and have a free bay either side is that they feel someone less careful will park next to them.

Most times this happens to me the car next to mine is usually a nice car.

This may be a wild theory but it's the best i can come up with.


I kinda like that theory but it doesn’t pan out for my experiences of those that like to snuggle up close.  I think it’s usually someone that is less confident in parking and likes to use another car as a handy parking guide.  I remember one bank holiday a few years back being the only car parked at the far end of a large car park, and this car came in, drove past all the empty parking spaces, all the way over to where my car was, and parked right next to me and the passenger flung her door open onto mine. I was sat in the car at the time and it sounded like a gunshot as the door impacted mine.  When I got out to confront her and assess the damage, she denied anything had happened even though we were both gazing at the fresh dent and the chip on the swage line of my door.  🙄  I was convinced that the only reason they’d decided to park next to the only car other in the car park was because they wanted to line up against it.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

.

3 hours ago, Booth11 said:

 I was convinced that the only reason they’d decided to park next to the only car other in the car park was because they wanted to line up against it.  

hmm........ no offense, but that's a very, very BIG assumption!!

 

Whilst acknowledging the foibles of gender stereotyping, I know quite a few females that NEVER choose an isolated car spot in a public car-park!. As a male, I don't use the technique - but my understanding is that the practice of "snuggling-up" is simply a matter of risk mitigation (targeting personal risk)

 

In a previous life - I spent many years as an energy trader! As part of this dubious profession- I bought/sold futures contracts (sometimes called "derivatives") - which are ostensibly risk mitigation instruments.

 

In trading speak, we called the car-park strategy that my female friends use a "no-cost option" - meaning that the resulting benefit of lowering risk can be achieved at no additional cost. It's a bit like arbitrage - except in this case, the mitigation of personal risk increases the risk of car damage (which clearly has a much lower priority in this car-park strategy)

 

The simple rule when trading derivatives is  always, ALWAYS exercise a no cost option! This dictum also applies to life decisions in general - IMO, of course!!

 

Don

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Captjack said:

I had the same in my RS, I purposely parked right at the end and came back to this. I really don’t get what people think sometimes.

IMG_3418.jpeg

IMG_3417.jpeg

 

That's not "right at the end", there are spaces to the left of you!! 😜🤣

 

6 hours ago, MJC1216 said:

My view when someone does that is that they are probably like yourself and feel safe parking next to an owner who wants to keep his/her car safe from parking dings etc.

Why they don't park 3 bays down and have a free bay either side is that they feel someone less careful will park next to them.

Most times this happens to me the car next to mine is usually a nice car.

This may be a wild theory but it's the best i can come up with.

 

Wow, this is such a positive view! I have the complete opposite, lol. whenever this happens to me, it's always a beater. And SWEAR they've done it because they think I'm a douche parking so far away. I NEVER cross-park (diagonally across 2 stalls), but I feel like some people this parking far away is the same level of douchebaggy-ness and they "want to prove a point". At least once I've come out to my car and the person has parked SO close I can't even open my driver's door and needed to get in the passenger side!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had reversed into what I thought was an end space at a CentreParcs the other week but went to my car one evening to discover someone had reversed their fiesta in next to me and, to avoid impinging on the road too much, had parked literally a few inches away from my off-side. I therefore couldn’t even get to my driver’s door. Fortunately, I didn’t need to drive anywhere. But I just can’t fathom who would think it’s ok to do that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, dv52 said:

.

hmm........ no offense, but that's a very, very BIG assumption!!

 

Whilst acknowledging the foibles of gender stereotyping, I know quite a few females that NEVER choose an isolated car spot in a public car-park!. As a male, I don't use the technique - but my understanding is that the practice of "snuggling-up" is simply a matter of risk mitigation (targeting personal risk)

 

In a previous life - I spent many years as an energy trader! As part of this dubious profession- I bought/sold futures contracts (sometimes called "derivatives") - which are ostensibly risk mitigation instruments.

 

In trading speak, we called the car-park strategy that my female friends use a "no-cost option" - meaning that the resulting benefit of lowering risk can be achieved at no additional cost. It's a bit like arbitrage - except in this case, the mitigation of personal risk increases the risk of car damage (which clearly has a much lower priority in this car-park strategy)

 

The simple rule when trading derivatives is  always, ALWAYS exercise a no cost option! This dictum also applies to life decisions in general - IMO, of course!!

 

Don


As a female myself (one capable of making reasoned choices and decisions) I can well understand and appreciate that some women may select a car parking space based upon mitigating personal risk (I’m referring to personal safety) even if there might be greater risk of their car being damaged in making that choice.  That would be very prudent in some situations.  I have made similar decisions myself based upon a number of factors.  I think many women (self-included) undertake an almost subconscious personal risk assessment in many situations before deciding on a course of action.  I highly value my personal safety and I also like to take steps to minimise the risk of my car being damaged by others. The two aren’t necessarily mutually exclusive. 

 

In the example in my previous post, the driver of the “snuggling up” car was male and the passenger was female (the latter previously mentioned) - at the risk of making another assumption they may have been husband and wife.  It’s an unknown as to which of the two occupants chose the parking space immediately adjacent to my car’s location (a space in the section farthest from the car park entrance but not isolated in geographical and natural surveillance terms, and surrounded by open retail shops etc) but if not as per my assumption (theory), I’m not convinced the choice was based upon mitigating their personal risk.  Perhaps they selflessly choose to park next to my car to mitigate my personal risk, although given they wouldn’t be aware of my gender until the point I got out of the car following the door bashing incident, that would be an assumption on their part, so I doubt it. 😄 They may well (and quite likely) have chosen to park in an area of the large car park that was closest to the shop or shops on the retail estate that they wanted to visit (as did I) but my gripe is that they chose to park right next my car and close enough to hit my car when they carelessly opened their car door, when there were numerous empty spaces available in the same row and other rows at that end of the car park (and the rest of it) and this is where my lining up theory comes in.  

 

Judging by the other comments in this section, it seems we all have our own theories as to why some people choose to park right next to another car when there are plenty of other spaces freely available.  And maybe there’s value in all of these theories.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, blizzard60 said:

 

That's not "right at the end", there are spaces to the left of you!! 😜🤣

 

 

Wow, this is such a positive view! I have the complete opposite, lol. whenever this happens to me, it's always a beater. And SWEAR they've done it because they think I'm a douche parking so far away. I NEVER cross-park (diagonally across 2 stalls), but I feel like some people this parking far away is the same level of douchebaggy-ness and they "want to prove a point". At least once I've come out to my car and the person has parked SO close I can't even open my driver's door and needed to get in the passenger side!

Ok, near the end, is that better for you ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I did ask the question and, judging by the responses, I can only conclude that there is no precise reason why.

 

Twice I've experienced damage to my car thanks to people parking next to me. One involved my works car park and a huge dint to my Escort RS (my pride and joy as a youngster)..... caused by the AA towing a colleague's car out of the space adjacent to mine  (yes, AA and colleague denied it).

 

The other caused by someone who misjudged the turning circle of their VW Golf destroying the side of car. In fact they misjudged it so bad they ended up parking in another space 100 yards away.... poor chap ! 

 

The latter took 2 years to resolve and if it wasn't for the knowledge that I had a witness statement to back me up, I'd probably being doing time. 

 

Thank you all for sharing, but I'm going to stick with my own view that they're just inconsiderate bar stewards 🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Booth11 said:

Judging by the other comments in this section, it seems we all have our own theories as to why some people choose to park right next to another car when there are plenty of other spaces freely available.  And maybe there’s value in all of these theories.  

Indeed - it's precisely the vast range of different personal-motivators that makes carbon based life units so fascinatingly interesting!😁

Don

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Current Donation Goals

    • Raised £170
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...